Pre-Game Talk: start scoring again please... Leafs @ Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I think what bugs me the most about this team is that they show flashes of what they're capable of, but have not been able to sustain it for more than a period or two at most, and only play like it sporadically. Only when their backs are against the wall do they push back a little and even then it's seldom.

Just think of some of the games this year

Chicago - Got completely dominated for the first two periods, pushed back in the third and played really well in terms of possession and transitioning, unfortunately it was too late.

Anaheim - Probably the best game of the season, Leafs were playing horrible leading up this game, coming off games against Minnesota,
Carolina and Chicago where they were dominated and outchanced in every way and only stole a game against Minnesota. They started off okay in the first, were outshot but limited real chances, and then laid a few eggs at the beginning of the 2nd period; however the game changed when Phaneuf laid out Perry and they dominated the Ducks for the rest of the game.

Boston - After their worst game against Vancouver and week off until they squeaked out a shootout win against the Devils, they had a meh first period, but completely dominated the 2nd in what was the best period of the season, but were gassed in the third.

Why do they only give us one or two period glimpses in random games? Why is it so hard for them to play like that more often? They've shown that they are capable, even in the playoffs they had a few games where they completely outchanced Boston and controlled the pace of the game, but they don't do it more often. This team will never be able to take the next step if they can't play like that on a consistent basis.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think what bugs me the most about this team is that they show flashes of what they're capable of, but have not been able to sustain it for more than a period or two at most, and only play like it sporadically. Only when their backs are against the wall do they push back a little and even then it's seldom.

Just think of some of the games this year

Chicago - Got completely dominated for the first two periods, pushed back in the third and played really well in terms of possession and transitioning, unfortunately it was too late.

Anaheim - Probably the best game of the season, Leafs were playing horrible leading up this game, coming off games against Minnesota,
Carolina and Chicago where they were dominated and outchanced in every way and only stole a game against Minnesota. They started off okay in the first, were outshot but limited real chances, and then laid a few eggs at the beginning of the 2nd period; however the game changed when Phaneuf laid out Perry and they dominated the Ducks for the rest of the game.

Boston - After their worst game against Vancouver and week off until they squeaked out a shootout win against the Devils, they had a meh first period, but completely dominated the 2nd in what was the best period of the season, but were gassed in the third.

Why do they only give us one or two period glimpses in random games? Why is it so hard for them to play like that more often? They've shown that they are capable, even in the playoffs they had a few games where they completely outchanced Boston and controlled the pace of the game, but they don't do it more often. This team will never be able to take the next step if they can't play like that on a consistent basis.

Consistency is the next step for a young and developing team.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
One of the following seems like the best line-up:

JVR - Raymond - Kessel (speed, scoring, and MayRay is decent defensively)
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson/Kulemin (Probably prefer Clarkson)
Marlie - McClement - Kulemin/Clarkson
XXX - Smithson - XXX (Marlies or Orr/McLaren)

or

Status Quo (Give JVR a few more games if you think he could succeed long-term at C, if it's just for short term... put him back on wing)

or

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Lupul - Raymond - Clarkson

As for defense, I think Rielly should definitely be in the line-up right now. Franson deserves to be sat for a game or two so that he can recoup. I think a trade will be coming up soon as I think Percy/Blacker/Holzer are adequate #7 dman.

I'd be behind a Franson for Couturier trade (even Franson +)

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Consistency is the next step for a young and developing team.

agreed... We have the skill, we just need to become more consistent and tinker the line-up (wait for prospects to become players and trade the stop-gaps).

Obviously we're still lacking at #1C, but the defense will improve and I think we'll be okay if we can be patient and properly develop our players/prospects.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Wild are a legit good team, getting close to contender status, and are riding the hottest goalie in hockey this year, too. And they're gonna be looking for revenge for the 4-1 beatdown we laid on them a couple weeks back.

Down two centres, this ain't gonna be easy.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Why can't we roll with the following:

Smith/Smithson
Kadri
McClement
Smith/Smithson

Let a Center play a Center position.

Send Ashton or Bodie down to open the cap room for Smith.

its so obvious. i dont understand why they are trying to reinvent the wheel. center is a tough position. to take a winger and hope he can play center not only makes the center position weaker but also the winger spot where the winger used to play.

jvr-mclemment-kessel
lupul-kadri-clarkson
kulemin-smith-raymond
ashton-smithson-orr

4 centers, 4 center spots. imo this is way less disruptive to the lineup. in this lineup carlyle only needs to ask 2 centers to play above their capacity (mclemment and smith). the way he was arranging the lineup it is putting too many players in positions where they are unlikely to succeed.

lupul-kadri-clarkson is the expected 2nd line, why mess with it. smithson is a 4th line center so this is not asking him to do something out of the ordinary. smith, while an ahl player should be able to play on the 3rd line for a few weeks until bozak gets back and mclemment while he cant keep up offensively with jvr-kessel, can at least win some faceoffs for them and cover defensively for them.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
its so obvious. i dont understand why they are trying to reinvent the wheel. center is a tough position. to take a winger and hope he can play center not only makes the center position weaker but also the winger spot where the winger used to play.

jvr-mclemment-kessel
lupul-kadri-clarkson
kulemin-smith-raymond
ashton-smithson-orr

4 centers, 4 center spots. imo this is way less disruptive to the lineup. in this lineup carlyle only needs to ask 2 centers to play above their capacity (mclemment and smith). the way he was arranging the lineup it is putting too many players in positions where they are unlikely to succeed.

lupul-kadri-clarkson is the expected 2nd line, why mess with it. smithson is a 4th line center so this is not asking him to do something out of the ordinary. smith, while an ahl player should be able to play on the 3rd line for a few weeks until bozak gets back and mclemment while he cant keep up offensively with jvr-kessel, can at least win some faceoffs for them and cover defensively for them.

good post, I agree this is the way to go... at least for now.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
RC stressed getting more shots at the net, noting that goalies with the big pads today will give up some rebounds
Mixing the line combos wanting to spread the scoring around more

lines at practice (monday)

raymond jvr kessel
lupul kadri kulemin
ashton mcclement clarkson
bodie smithson orr/mclaren

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
A win would be nice but it'll be tough... don't want to jinx it but we do have Buffalo back to back after this and they're just awful so I don't think a win on Wednesday is that important... but then again we'll probably end up struggling vs Buffalo somehow because that's just how this team rolls.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
RC stressed getting more shots at the net, noting that goalies with the big pads today will give up some rebounds

raymond jvr kessel
lupul kadri kulemin

I'd switch a few things around but thats just me

Clarkson-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Mcclement-Lupul
Ashton-Smithson-Kulemin
Bodie-JVR-Orr

Line 1- We have Clarkson who can work it low in the corners, lay some hits and crash the net. Kadri brings the playmaking and speed, Kessel brings his lethal shot

Line 2: Another offensive oriented line with 2 solid scoring wingers, Mcclement is solid on the draws and he's easily our best defensive player

Line 3- A big bodied physical line who can chip in occasional offense

Line 4- A tought as **** physical line, and yea I have JVR at centre big deal he can double shift lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
I think what bugs me the most about this team is that they show flashes of what they're capable of, but have not been able to sustain it for more than a period or two at most, and only play like it sporadically.
Terminator%20army.jpg

some people think the team should be perfect killing machines
they're human... and have their ups and downs, make mistakes
as much as a good team will be... they will lose

and that's the beauty of sports, sometimes the team **** on paper wins on the field

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

raymond jvr kessel
lupul kadri kulemin
Oh god Raymond on the first line... that is an incredibly soft line with no board work. Hopefully they can use their speed effectively.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Oh god Raymond on the first line... that is an incredibly soft line with no board work. Hopefully they can use their speed effectively.
I wonder if it's set up that way so JVR and Raymond can flip spots if things don't work out with JVR up the middle. Raymond has done it before so could at least have JVR and Kessel paired up the same as always.

At the very least gives our second line a bit more punch with Lupul back with Kadri.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Terminator%20army.jpg

some people think the team should be perfect killing machines
they're human... and have their ups and downs, make mistakes
as much as a good team will be... they will lose

and that's the beauty of sports, sometimes the team **** on paper wins on the field

I don't expect perfection, I just want solid consistent play. In 17 games, they've played maybe 4 periods of dominant hockey, and probably 8-12 legitimately good periods of hockey. My main gripe is that they don't have the puck nearly as much as they should. In the long run, no team has ever been a top caliber or championship team by playing 70%+ of the game in their own zone.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Whats key is the two tandems to get 2 lines going

tier 1:

JVR - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri

Everyone else is pretty much consequential
You may as well rotate the tier 2 around those 4

tier 2:

raymond mcclement kulemin clarkson

tier 3:

ashton bodie

tier 4:

smithson mclaren-orr

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
to be honest a .500 win ratio isnt good enough for me
(as nice as it may be, comparing to recent years)

i greed for all the gold !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad