Pre-Game Talk: Stars vs Jets Jan 31 6:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Seems like no on ice practice today after all. Changed to media availability.

@WpgJetsPR: #NHLJets media availability at MTS Centre today scheduled for noon, 12 pm.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Need to get back on the win column, and get back to the defense first system.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Bring back the AHL D corps. We did much better with them.

I imagine that Maurice had a very spirited conversation in the dressing room yesterday and maybe again today. I'll always remember his comments about 'making you cry' in the dressing room.

These guys deserve it right now.

Man, I feel like I'm channeling Sip!

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I imagine that Maurice had a very spirited conversation in the dressing room yesterday and maybe again today. I'll always remember his comments about 'making you cry' in the dressing room.

The Maurice "chat" should begin with Scheifele, followed closely by LLW. They all need to pick it up.

Maurice soon has to switch to Hutch as his #1 goalie down the stretch. Pavs just isn't the guy, and Maurice should know it by now.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Would prefer Hutch but I am resigned to the fact that Pavs will get the nod
A good time for some MTS spirit to get these guys heads/legs into the game early
Angry Buff please. He sets the tone of this squad
Our leaders need to lead- looking at you LLW

Derfel*

Would prefer Hutch but I am resigned to the fact that Pavs will get the nod
A good time for some MTS spirit to get these guys heads/legs into the game early
Angry Buff please. He sets the tone of this squad
Our leaders need to lead- looking at you LLW

Pavelec was a save-machine last game against Dallas. This is the right start for him.

We were so much better with our top-5 defensemen injured - maybe we should trade a few of them away and get some solid offensive help? :naughty:

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Funny how Scheifele looked so good to start the year yet couldn't get any points. Now that he's getting points his game looks alot less dynamic and uninspired. :laugh:

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
I'd prefer Hutch in net (I think he gives us a better chance to win more often than not) but I predict we see Pavs and I don't think it's worth fussing over. Goaltending has been our #1 glaring weakness for much of this team's time in WPG, that has not been the case as of late though. There are 4-5 other issues that are more important to address right now and if that doesn't happen nothing short of a brick wall is going to help us. I predict we see a better Jets team tomorrow, more physical and more organized. I think we get a good game from Pavs in a game that the Jets are able to give him some breathing room in the scoreboard. 2-0 Jets after 1, 4-2 final score.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'd prefer Hutch in net (I think he gives us a better chance to win more often than not) but I predict we see Pavs and I don't think it's worth fussing over. Goaltending has been our #1 glaring weakness for much of this team's time in WPG, that has not been the case as of late though. There are 4-5 other issues that are more important to address right now and if that doesn't happen nothing short of a brick wall is going to help us. I predict we see a better Jets team tomorrow, more physical and more organized. I think we get a good game from Pavs in a game that the Jets are able to give him some breathing room in the scoreboard. 2-0 Jets after 1, 4-2 final score.

I agree with pretty much everything you've written in this thread, but I do feel hesitant about playing a team uniquely capable of putting up tons of goals with with a goaltender uniquely capable of letting in tons of goals.

Then again, maybe he's got their number...

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

The guys on the Big Show keep referring to the "make you cry" comment too. I contend that that comment was miss-understood from the get go. I don't think Maurice ever meant to insinuate that HE was making anyone cry in the dressing room. I think that comment was in response to a question about team leadership and whether or not the team was taking things seriously in the dressing room. When he said "I could make you cry in that dressing room" I think he meant that the team/leadership was taking things very seriously. I think what he meant was more like "If I told you what things were like in that dressing room I could make you cry."

But yes, I expect Mo had some choice words for the team after last night.

OK boys time to right the ship! Win the game!

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
I agree with pretty much everything you've written in this thread, but I do feel hesitant about playing a team uniquely capable of putting up tons of goals with with a goaltender uniquely capable of letting in tons of goals.

I said I preferred seeing Hutch start but I'm okay with Pavs starting (and I should have noted that that's in the context of how the team has operated and what we can reasonably expect them to do).

The Jets management has shown that Pavelec has more rope than Hutch time and time again, if they are going to change their mind on that it isn't going to be after a loss (they didn't give him the next start after either of his shutouts afterall). The team also seems deadset on giving the goaltender with past success against a team another go at them (Hutch dominated Boston last year, got both starts this year and put up good Sv% numbers. He got all three games in Chicago and played well in all three, Pavs strong showing against Dallas will lead to another start and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the start against the Rangers who he got his SO against). I don't have a huge issue with this type of strategy but if you are going to start the guy with success, you should also bench the guy who faulters against certain teams. Hutch's only bad game through his first 15 or so was against LA, he got the follow up against them. Pavs plays awful against PIT and got that start too. If they think certain goalies have certain team's number, should the opposite not be considered as well? And even if both are true, I still think the hot hand should prevail more often than it has in the past.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I think we're hoping for lightning to strike twice here...

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
I don't want to make excuses for the team's poor play but is it possible that there is some sort of flu going through the team right now? We just had an all star break yet a few players missed practice after the PIT game and now practice is cancelled today after a performance that surely deserved some fine tuning. I think the last time we played poorly with a one day break and travel between games, they got a bag skate. I don't normally pay much attention to the practice schedule though, anyone else care to speculate?

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
The Maurice "chat" should begin with Scheifele, followed closely by LLW. They all need to pick it up.

Maurice soon has to switch to Hutch as his #1 goalie down the stretch. Pavs just isn't the guy, and Maurice should know it by now.

This is of course my opinion only, but Scheifele has not been the same since returning from the hit on his knee. I'd say he's gun shy, actually. Yes, I know he's gone into corners and hit guys, and he's wheeled around with the puck, but it's never seemed quite as reckless and spirited as the beginning of the season.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@MitchPeacock1: Jets did some film study today, see some adjustments. Wheeler says it's about work & being true to what they are. #nhljets #cbcmb

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
@MitchPeacock1: Jets did some film study today, see some adjustments. Wheeler says it's about work & being true to what they are. #nhljets #cbcmb

I'd say that's probably what they needed right now. They were getting away from the system that was making them so effective.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Think Scheifs has been fine, he's a 2nd year player playing top minutes against the other teams best or darn near best players. That line and the third line have been the only line producing the last little while actually, perreault scored 2 yesterday, yes one was on the powerplay but that line had plenty of chances. LLW have been MIA for some time now, Wheeler especially. Ladd looks lost too. Maybe shaking up the lines a bit might help. Put Frolik with Ladd and Little and Wheeler with Scheif and Perreault. Really liked Wheeler when he was with Scheif earlier in the year, wouldn't hurt to try it out, gotta get the big man going and ladd and little need a spark too and maybe frolik can spark them. Also these last 2 games, and even before, they have definitely gotten away from the D first style of play. Some guys are doing it still but some aren't and it's a problem. Way too many odd man rushes last night vs Philly, D are pinching and the forwards aren't covering when they do. That wasn't like that a few weeks ago. They also need to stop taking so many penalties and when the other team takes one, capitalize on it, I mean really, couple power plays last night, one goal yes but the other powerplays had like what? 1 shot on net in total? Powerplay is brutal and that needs to change for this team to have a chance.

3-2, 2-1 games were what we were winning before, these last 2, yup empty netters but 10 goals against in 2 games and yesterday, if not for Hutch could have been double digits really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad