Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Johnny Oduya [2 Years, $3.750M AAV]

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think Nill has told us that he has three more guys coming to the NHL within two years - Honka, Lindell and Johns, maybe in reverse order, based on age.

Vet contracts up this year (Goli and Demers) and Oduya in two years. I am betting Nill is so high on those guys, and not as much on JJ, JoBenn and Jamio O. Seems like he is setting up a transition plan, maybe of one more D youth per year for the next three years as the old guys fade out and decline.

He said he would be thinking equal parts win now and long term, and it seems he is doing both nicely.

Only potential problem is, we still don't have the Duncan Keith type stud D we really wanted, but hey, if you can score by committee, it looks like we are in position to defend by committee. One key guy could get hurt. We got loads of pretty good guys for every type of D need this way.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
I think Nill has told us that he has three more guys coming to the NHL within two years - Honka, Lindell and Johns, maybe in reverse order, based on age.

Vet contracts up this year (Goli and Demers) and Oduya in two years. I am betting Nill is so high on those guys, and not as much on JJ, JoBenn and Jamio O. Seems like he is setting up a transition plan, maybe of one more D youth per year for the next three years as the old guys fade out and decline.

He said he would be thinking equal parts win now and long term, and it seems he is doing both nicely.

Only potential problem is, we still don't have the Duncan Keith type stud D we really wanted, but hey, if you can score by committee, it looks like we are in position to defend by committee. One key guy could get hurt. We got loads of pretty good guys for every type of D need this way.

Keith was not Keith when they drafted him. Who know what will happen in 2-3 years, some kid we never Heard of could be our new Keith.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Keith was not Keith when they drafted him. Who know what will happen in 2-3 years, some kid we never Heard of could be our new Keith.

Hell, just look at Klingberg and Lindell. Karlsson-lite and Edler-lite there, from the 5th and 3rd rounds respectively.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Understood, and hopefully that guy is named Johns. We can hope.

But honestly, I think our blue line is shaping up a bit like the old NJ Devils forward core, where there were no Ovechkins, but a lot of 15-20 goal guys. We have a nice mix and maybe surplus of NHL level guys after years of drafting, and hopefully 8 pretty good ones is better in sum than a top Keith/Seabrook pairing and less depth.

I don't think LeTang and the other Pit D were that highly thought of until they won the Cup a few years ago, and then they cashed in big. The D in Big D will be seen the same way if the O stays similar, and helps on D, and the goalies bounce back.

Our D metrics weren't bad last year after Klingberg got here, and effectively did what we thought needed to happen for years - bump all the other guys down a pair (except Goli, who responded well as a top pair guy the last 1.5 years) And now, we have improved those bottom and mid pairs as well.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Also, saw the Nill interview. He did say they had 3-4 other guys they were looking at, to fill a more defense minded role, but didn't say who. Sounded like they always planned to get one FW, one D, and one G, all vets, after their season ending review.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
My concern about Oduya is what it means for the defenders who's contracts are expiring next year, namely Goligoski and Demers.

Re-singing both of them likely means that 5 of the 6 spots would be taken up by Dallas' current top 5 Defenders (Kling, Goli, Demers, Nemeth, Oduya) with only one other spot open for Lindell, Honka, Johns, and if they are still around Joki and Oleksiak. And the cap could be an issue for that as well.

So it kinda seems like one or both of Goligoski and or Demers won't be resigned and to me that would be a one step forward this year only to take two steps back next year.

Ehroff's agent said his client would take another 1 year deal, I feel like if we signed him to a 1 year deal instead, he would give us a similar veteran boost on the back end this year while making Dallas a better team next year by allowing space for both Demers and Goligoski to be resigned.

Could always make trades I guess (Nill seems to be good at that anyways). Speaking of which, I guess their is a partial no trade clause, anyone know the details?

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
Re-singing both of them likely means that 5 of the 6 spots would be taken up by Dallas' current top 5 Defenders (Kling, Goli, Demers, Nemeth, Oduya) with only one other spot open for Lindell, Honka, Johns, and if they are still around Joki and Oleksiak. And the cap could be an issue for that as well.

Definitely a fair concern, though I don't think we'll re-sign both of them when the time comes (Demers more likely out, IMO). Ultimately, I think what Nill wants most is people competing their ***** off for jobs.

That's why I love Oduya's contract. Two years is just the right amount of time to give us some breathing room if some of our up-and-comers need more work before the jump. If one or two of them don't need time, then they'll take a job from someone who isn't playing up to par.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
But honestly, I think our blue line is shaping up a bit like the old NJ Devils forward core, where there were no Ovechkins, but a lot of 15-20 goal guys. .

Im sorry but that is just crazy talk. We got Benn who just won the Art Ross Trophy and Seguin who might as well be the 2nd leading NHL scorer or Art Ross Trophy Winner if not for the injury and ahem the-we-shall-not-speak-about-it-scratching.

So that mean we got two potential Art Ross Trophy Winner in the lineup, and they are not the "Ovechkins"? that is crazy talk.

I like the Elias, the Sykora or the Arnott of the old Devils, but they were never in the talk or was Close to the Art Ross Trophy.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Could always make trades I guess (Nill seems to be good at that anyways). Speaking of which, I guess their is a partial no trade clause, anyone know the details?

Unless he becomes trade-bait, the details of this clause probably won't ever be public.

Im sorry but that is just crazy talk. We got Benn who just won the Art Ross Trophy and Seguin who might as well be the 2nd leading NHL scorer or Art Ross Trophy Winner if not for the injury and ahem the-we-shall-not-speak-about-it-scratching.

So that mean we got two potential Art Ross Trophy Winner in the lineup, and they are not the "Ovechkins"? that is crazy talk.

I like the Elias, the Sykora or the Arnott of the old Devils, but they were never in the talk or was Close to the Art Ross Trophy.

He said our defense would be like that, not our offense. :P

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
Good signing I thought he would get 3 years because of sabres offer, but 2 years is even better, and creates more competition and depth if injuries happen.

The concern about the extra year, a playoff team is probably willing to take a chance on Oduya and we could retain some salary if needed. I don't think it will be a big problem as long as Oduya doesn't turn into a worse version of Daley for us defensively.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
From War on Ice...

Oduya has a full no trade clause for exactly 3 months. From now until October 15. Then he supplies a list of 12 teams he can reject a trade to.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
From War on Ice...

Oduya has a full no trade clause for exactly 3 months. From now until October 15. Then he supplies a list of 12 teams he can reject a trade to.

Well I stand corrected :laugh:

Sounds fair. Honestly that's probably a big part of him choosing Dallas. I suspect other teams weren't as willing to give out a NTC.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
From War on Ice...

It would be really weird to flip him in some other blockbuster trade, but he is a prime candidate - solid second pair D on a good contract. If Nill negotiated that part, too, it tells me he still thinks its possible that enough of the kids will (or might) impress enough in camp to make the vets expendable.

Nill thinks of every angle.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
It would be really weird to flip him in some other blockbuster trade, but he is a prime candidate - solid second pair D on a good contract. If Nill negotiated that part, too, it tells me he still thinks its possible that enough of the kids will (or might) impress enough in camp to make the vets expendable. Nill thinks of every angle.
Name 1 SC champ that didn't have any vets such as Sharp or Oduya that were 30+ and had PO experience.

ItsTheCracken*

Its not that complicated. Benn can be waived or traded for a low pick if lucky

the pairings look like

Oduya/Klinger
Goose-demers
Joki-Nemeth

Johns will challenge which would give us 3 righties with Joki being the 7th or he can be sent down one more year eventually replacing Demers.
Oleskiak is trade bait unless he clearly outplays Joki who could probably fetch a mid pick as well.

it was a bit unnecessary but he is way better than Big Rig or Joki now and will be a big help on pk.

I agree with your lineup, except that they like Nemeth on the left, and Joki on the right!

I think they want Johns to come in and outplay Big Rig, so that they can have an excuse to trade him and make some room. I believe Johns stays in CP as he is the only defenseman in that group with no waiver obligation.

I believe Jo Benn is probably being moved in some capacity as well.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
With the success of Goli/Klinger, the supposed connection between Oduya and Nemeth, and a desire to mix a vet with a youth on each pair (seems desireable to have vet leadership on each pair, I think they at least start with:

Goose/Klinger
Oduya-Nemeth
Joki-Demers

May not work with the R/L combos they like. And, your lineup make some sense if you want to pair a bruiser/stay at home D with a puck carrier on each pair, although, that would seem to make Honka in play a bit sooner to give you 3 puck carriers. And, if they want a bruiser type (with some talent) maybe Johns starts here, even with his waiver restrictions.

It would be tough call, but if they want to win now, they may not make decisions based on contracts, but who is best on the ice.

Goligoski - Klingberg
Oduya - Johns
Nemeth - Demers

Benn, JJ or JO

Besides, it would really stick it in the noses of Hawks to start all three players acquired off their roster. Not sure Nill cares.....but I do!

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Really, really don't see the point of this. Oduya is just a progress stopper. And this team is simply not ready to challenge. If they traded for a genuine top pairing guy, then you could say they are ready, but a bottom 4 guy like Oduya doesn't particularly improve us, while only serving to stop the progress of one of our young dmen. Nill had the chance to get FA dmen in previous years, but continually held off from what I could tell because he knew that what we really needed was a top pairing guy and because he knew we had heaps of talented, close to NHL ready dmen waiting for a chance to prove themselves.

This pickup makes zero sense to me.
Some kid we've never heard of? Klingberg is already pretty well known to Dallas fans I'd have thought.
Hell, just look at Klingberg and Lindell. Karlsson-lite and Edler-lite there, from the 5th and 3rd rounds respectively.
Which one is which? Klingberg is more well rounded than Karlsson, while not being near the same dynamic offensive force. Zubov might end up being a pretty apt comparison, given the intial scoffing that occurred when some Stars personnel initially made the comparison.

As for Lindell, I keep hearing conflicting reports on his defensive qualities. Will wait and see on him.

I fully expect that in 2-3 years assuming we let guys develop and don't trade them off, we'll be seeing an offensive guy paired with a defensive guy on our top two lines, rather than necessarily having some all round individuals. Klingberg and Honka down the right as the offensive guys partnered with defensive guys. Though if Klingberg can put weight on I think he can be a good all round defenseman.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Really, really don't see the point of this. Oduya is just a progress stopper. And this team is simply not ready to challenge. If they traded for a genuine top pairing guy, then you could say they are ready, but a bottom 4 guy like Oduya doesn't particularly improve us, while only serving to stop the progress of one of our young dmen. Nill had the chance to get FA dmen in previous years, but continually held off from what I could tell because he knew that what we really needed was a top pairing guy and because he knew we had heaps of talented, close to NHL ready dmen waiting for a chance to prove themselves.

This isn't a progress stopper. It works to force young guys to prove something. There are not many roster spots available, so the best guys are going to have to win the job. A guy like Oleksiak is actually going to have to show it on the ice. He can't win a job merely by his draft status and wishful thinking about Chara. If Oleksiak can't beat out the other kids fighting for a roster spot, he is gone.

In seasons past, young players were handed roster spots merely because they were young. There was no real competition. Guys like Larsen and Vincour were given NHL jobs because the team needed cheap players. There were no real roster battles. If Larsen had been a prospect in this group of prospects fighting for a spot, there's no way he makes the NHL roster.

Competition is good. Sure, a late bloomer may get tossed aside by the Stars and may develop into a good player elsewhere, but so what. I won't lose any sleep over that slight risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad