Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
And what are we looking at now?

Goligoski - Klingberg
Oduya - Demers
Nemeth - Johns
Oleksiak, Jokipakka, Jo. Benn

Honka, Lindell, Backman in the A.

There has to be another trade coming. That's eight guys who have to be in the NHL, three that could be, and two injury call-ups. Too much depth, not enough top end talent.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Jeez... I mean, it recreates the previous problem we had with having too many D-men, and I'm not sure I really wanted the guy that much... But it's almost worth it just for the fact that we nicked him from Chicago, making that Sharp trade look even worse. And it's not like he's a bad player so I'm not gonna despair. Benn or Oleksiak has to be on the way out though...

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
The term and money are very good and make it worth doing, IMO. Nill loves having veterans around the young developing guys so even though we have a ton of D men right now I'm not surprised we signed him.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
Maybe they will be putting a package together for Phaneuf? I dont know any other big name D-Men out there as of now that might be available. If Nill wants to "win-now" I can def see him moving some of our younger D prospects.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Maybe they will be putting a package together for Phaneuf? I dont know any other big name D-Men out there as of now that might be available. If Nill wants to "win-now" I can def see him moving some of our younger D prospects.

Edler would be amazing, but he won't waive. Probably a Canuck for life.

Unless there's a name available we haven't heard about, I can't think of any other options.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site

Its not that complicated. Benn can be waived or traded for a low pick if lucky

the pairings look like

Oduya/Klinger
Goose-demers
Joki-Nemeth

Johns will challenge which would give us 3 righties with Joki being the 7th or he can be sent down one more year eventually replacing Demers.
Oleskiak is trade bait unless he clearly outplays Joki who could probably fetch a mid pick as well.

it was a bit unnecessary but he is way better than Big Rig or Joki now and will be a big help on pk.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015

I think there is a zero percent chance anyone takes Phaneuf unless Toronto retains some of that horrific contract.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Sounds like awesome deal. He can easily be traded for draft pick after young guys steal his spot. Like buying picks with dollars. Isn't that good? :P

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
The term and money are very good and make it worth doing, IMO. Nill loves having veterans around the young developing guys so even though we have a ton of D men right now I'm not surprised we signed him.

Yes. You can't have 3 rookie or second year players in your top 6 D this season.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
At that term and AAV, this is great for the Stars.

Seems as if they had a meeting and went from a young building team to a I want to win now team. Hard to argue with that thought in a non traditional hockey market. I bet ST sales go nuts. Or, at least the new 10 game packs.

Hope they don't blow up opening night, and dampen the buzz.

BTW, I get the sneaky feeling Johns will replace both JO and JJ on D and they get traded. I also like one vet and one young guy on each pair, assuming we can get the R/L pairing so work, so we have three each - Goli, Oduya, Demers paired somehow with Klinger, Nemeth, Johns.

However, I think we already count Nemeth and Klingberg as semi-vets with Joki, Benn, JO all trade bait or No. 7.

Can Joki or Nemeth still go back to Austin if needed? It might end up with Johns going back down, just because of contract status. I think I read where he beat Jamie O for the series winning goal for Rockford in the AHL playoffs. One play, yes, but pretty symbolic.

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
By my back of the envelope calculation, Stars still have about $2 million in cap space. Wouldn't surprise me if they picked up a player on an expiring contract sometime during the season for picks and prospects.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It seems we have won our third straight off season, much like the old days of the late 90's.

Now, up to Ruff and the Guys to win the real season. Nill, I think, has done his job of acquiring enough quality hockey players in three years - Seguin, Spezza, Sharp, Nickuskin, Johns, Hemsky, Demers, Niemi. Add in picks like Klinger, Nemeth, Ritchie, etc. That is an upgrade at almost half the team's positions.

I hope Ruff succeeds this year, because a coaching change in the middle of all this would seem to be too much wheel spinning.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Woohoo, when I read that Oduya is chased by Blues, Jackets and Stars I thought to myself, ofcourse the Stars make sense, its logical. We got the goalies, we got the forwards, only lacking is D, D, D and more D. So yeah we Swedish are logical people so ofcourse he would choose the Stars.

And Im sure Oduya is Reading Hfboards so, VÄLKOMMEN Johnny mannen :yo:

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Woohoo, when I read that Oduya is chased by Blues, Jackets and Stars I thought to myself, ofcourse the Stars make sense, its logical. We got the goalies, we got the forwards, only lacking is D, D, D and more D. So yeah we Swedish are logical people so ofcourse he would choose the Stars.

And Im sure Oduya is Reading Hfboards so, VÄLKOMMEN Johnny mannen :yo:
Yeah, what he said :yo:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The more I think of it, the more it makes sense. Probably looking to avoid an influx of inexperience, so that's now insulted on the top pairing with Goligoski, middle pairing with Demers, and bottom pairing with Oduya (Johnny and Jason could swap, doubt they play together though).

Klingberg obviously with Goligoski. I'd suspect Nemeth on the second, and Johns or Oleksiak on the third. Jokipakka and Jordie sit or battle it out with Oleksiak for the sixth and final spot.

Mostly seems to be trying to avoid the issues that arose last season. Daley's gone, youth can be sheltered and mentored now, etc.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
Yeah I agree. Oduya isn't a sexy player and won't transform our blueline, but he is an upgrade over Daley and will add some stability while our younger guys get experience. I really like the move.

Also, if nothing else, it is making for some nice reactions from Blackhawks fans lol. They are not too happy.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Good deal. I'm surprised there are people who don't like it. It's not long term, it's not expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad