Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Johnny Oduya [2 Years, $3.750M AAV]

kingslunk

Oct 25, 2014
Really, really don't see the point of this. Oduya is just a progress stopper. And this team is simply not ready to challenge. If they traded for a genuine top pairing guy, then you could say they are ready, but a bottom 4 guy like Oduya doesn't particularly improve us, while only serving to stop the progress of one of our young dmen. Nill had the chance to get FA dmen in previous years, but continually held off from what I could tell because he knew that what we really needed was a top pairing guy and because he knew we had heaps of talented, close to NHL ready dmen waiting for a chance to prove themselves.

This pickup makes zero sense to me.

You need veteran leadership in the locker room. Oduya brings SC experience. They got rid of Daley to bring in Sharp. They need to replace that veteran presence in the locker room. They basically Swapped Daley for Oduya. However Oduya (like Sharp) have that winning experience which could benefit us.

Of course if we could have got a top pairing D man we would have. But circumstances didn't play out.

Also agree about competing for roster spots.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I can understand some fans being miffed at Oduya. We wanted a real No. 1 to move all our D down a slot to second and third pair roles. Dougie Hamilton was the dream, as he was age appropriate. So, we have a comparison deal to moan about.

It also had the feel of TG telling Nil to spend (must have had a good year in the hotel biz) and Nil doing the best he can to spend money, without going crazy, as opposed to crazy spending. So, I doubt Oduya was the first target, and Nill did mention "3-4" others they contacted. So, it was clear they decided in the spring meetings that they needed a decent vet D this year to improve.

That does make some sense. I think Demers helped stabilize our core almost as much as Klinger. At least things go better when he replaced Dillon. And, speaking of Dillon, JO's contract situation smells a bit similar to Dillon's. A hardball contract is usually a sign of someone being on the way out of town.

Which leads to the stopper remark. Maybe Nill doesn't think JO will make it, so we are really down to 7 D effectively. Maybe he thinks Jiri has topped out. Maybe he thinks Sharp, Honka, Lindell will be ready in two years, so its a perfect fit.

We also have options in trading Goose in his contract year at the deadline, not resigning Demers next year, etc. Injuries and effectiveness will play in as this plays out, but Nill has some options. More players than spots, but, we all know not every prospect works out, as well.

Short version, if Oduya's contract was any more than two years and the money they spent on him, it would be a problem. It is not a problem and he will be a good player for us.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
This isn't a progress stopper. It works to force young guys to prove something. There are not many roster spots available, so the best guys are going to have to win the job. A guy like Oleksiak is actually going to have to show it on the ice. He can't win a job merely by his draft status and wishful thinking about Chara. If Oleksiak can't beat out the other kids fighting for a roster spot, he is gone.

In seasons past, young players were handed roster spots merely because they were young. There was no real competition. Guys like Larsen and Vincour were given NHL jobs because the team needed cheap players. There were no real roster battles. If Larsen had been a prospect in this group of prospects fighting for a spot, there's no way he makes the NHL roster.

Competition is good. Sure, a late bloomer may get tossed aside by the Stars and may develop into a good player elsewhere, but so what. I won't lose any sleep over that slight risk.
What? Here's the guys coming through close to NHL ready, now battling for two spots rather than three. Nemeth, Jokipakka, Oleksiak, Honka, Johns, Lindell. They have all shown that they could play in the NHL right now on a bottom pairing at least IMO and all with the talent to be much more. You could probably add Backman to that list, though I don't know as much about him. There would not be any handing over of spots.

It's a progress stopper because it's one less spot available for a young player. Oduya has a sizable contract, and therefore will not easily be removed from his place if someone does show they deserve a spot on the team.
This would've happened if it were possible.
I want to know whether we had any involvement in trying to acquire Hamilton. He's a guy who I would have given up quite a bit for as he would have been close to perfect (left hand shot would have been perfect, but beggars can't be choosers).
You need veteran leadership in the locker room. Oduya brings SC experience. They got rid of Daley to bring in Sharp. They need to replace that veteran presence in the locker room. They basically Swapped Daley for Oduya. However Oduya (like Sharp) have that winning experience which could benefit us.

Of course if we could have got a top pairing D man we would have. But circumstances didn't play out.

Also agree about competing for roster spots.
I keep hearing this. Heard the exact same about Gonchar and Horcoff. Meh. We have guys with experience with the addition of Sharp. If we get guys that genuinely improve the team and they happen to be veterans with playoff experience, great. When you start using veteran presence as a reason for acquiring them over their actual play genuinely helping to improve the team, I stop listening.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
We almost certainly were excluded on Hamilton for PR reasons which should be obvious.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We almost certainly were excluded on Hamilton for PR reasons which should be obvious.

Possibly this, and it happens anyway. Some GMs don't exhaust every option. GMJN 1.0 didn't with Neal, and it sounds like Sweeney didn't with Hamilton. Nill's first indication very well could've been that he was a Flame.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Possibly this, and it happens anyway. Some GMs don't exhaust every option. GMJN 1.0 didn't with Neal, and it sounds like Sweeney didn't with Hamilton. Nill's first indication very well could've been that he was a Flame.

Considering the difference between picks we had and the return they got, it should be clear that non-hockey factors kept us out of things.

He needed a young PMD with #1 upside, it didn't make sense to call teams that didn't have one.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
What? Here's the guys coming through close to NHL ready, now battling for two spots rather than three. Nemeth, Jokipakka, Oleksiak, Honka, Johns, Lindell. They have all shown that they could play in the NHL right now on a bottom pairing at least IMO and all with the talent to be much more. You could probably add Backman to that list, though I don't know as much about him. There would not be any handing over of spots.

It's a progress stopper because it's one less spot available for a young player. Oduya has a sizable contract, and therefore will not easily be removed from his place if someone does show they deserve a spot on the team.

No team is going into a season with only two vets on d. It's as simple as that.

Also, no progress is being stopped. The better young players are still making the team, which is progress. All adding Oduya does is raise the bar. It means the young guys who get spots probably deserve them. I have no interest in freeing up roster spots for tweeners or guys still needing serious development time.

beardedgraf

Nov 4, 2008
Dallas
I like this contract and am pleased to have Oduya join the Stars' defense. I wonder what will Jim Nill is thinking regarding Goligoski this season? Will he be extended?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I like this contract and am pleased to have Oduya join the Stars' defense. I wonder what will Jim Nill is thinking regarding Goligoski this season? Will he be extended?

That is a good question. My tea leaves suggest that in most circumstances, he doesn't. If we really look like contenders, he will have to keep him to the end of the year for the run, and then maybe only get a low pick for his negotiating rights.

Looks like a numbers game, in a few years:

Klinger
Honka
Lindell
Nemeth
Johns
Jokipakka

Of course, not all these guys will make the team, based on injury, washout, etc.

But, they need to phase the older guys out at some point. If we are fighting for an 8th seed, Goli, Demers, Benn, and maybe Oduya, then why not start this year? One gets traded off at the deadline to keep the draft pick parade coming. Then, maybe one per year as the young D get ready, and we slowly transition to a younger core with a future.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Goligoski turns 30 at the end of this month. You absolutely re-sign him.

The youth movement only gets you so far.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Goligoski turns 30 at the end of this month. You absolutely re-sign him.

The youth movement only gets you so far.

100% agree. Even if we get a full 82 out of the youngsters they'll still need experience on the blueline and Goligoski is the best we've got. With Sharp and Oduya I don't think we'll be major players in Byfuglien/Seabrook/Johnson, but Goligoski can be signed through the rest of his top seasons at a slight raise.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
100% agree. Even if we get a full 82 out of the youngsters they'll still need experience on the blueline and Goligoski is the best we've got. With Sharp and Oduya I don't think we'll be major players in Byfuglien/Seabrook/Johnson, but Goligoski can be signed through the rest of his top seasons at a slight raise.

The phrase "slight raise" is key here. Agree we would sign him for anything under $5M, but we don't know what he is thinking, UFA wise or Hometown discount wise, term wise, etc.. When he sees Matt Niskanen, a throw in from the trade, get over $5M in UFA, he might think he is worth near $6M, and that might be the end of him here. And, we still have some other big contracts coming up to sign.

No doubt we would want to sign him, but I see price and term as being a potential obstacle. Hopefully, we make a nice run, he likes it here, sees Cup potential, etc., etc., etc.

IMHO, its a tweener. We complain about the guy for years, then when his contract is up, we can't live without him? Nill will be more rational than we may be.....

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
The phrase "slight raise" is key here. Agree we would sign him for anything under $5M, but we don't know what he is thinking, UFA wise or Hometown discount wise, term wise, etc.. When he sees Matt Niskanen, a throw in from the trade, get over $5M in UFA, he might think he is worth near $6M, and that might be the end of him here. And, we still have some other big contracts coming up to sign.

No doubt we would want to sign him, but I see price and term as being a potential obstacle. Hopefully, we make a nice run, he likes it here, sees Cup potential, etc., etc., etc.

IMHO, its a tweener. We complain about the guy for years, then when his contract is up, we can't live without him? Nill will be more rational than we may be.....

It also depends on which Goligoski shows up. Does he play like total dog crap to start the season like he has since we traded for him? How much weight should be put into how he finishes the season vs how he starts it? I mean its good to finish strongly but if you are costing your team games at the beginning of the season those games still count the same. Honestly I am not sure how long I'd like to seem them willing to go for a guy who can be so monumentally bad for long stretches.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

If Oduya and eventually Franson set the market we might be in good shape. For me, the issue is term. If he signs for 4x5.5 or even 6 that would be ideal because he should be effective for at least 3-4 more seasons. If the cap is stagnant, he might not have the chance to chase top money like Seabrook, Byfuglien, and Johnson will get (if they make free agency).

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think this is a great signing for Dallas.

What Oduya brings (apart from the obvious experience of playing on a team like Chicago and winning two SCs) is the ability to eat 20 min of TOI/GP against the toughest possible opposition. Playing with Hjalmarsson obviously helps but he has in no-way-shape-or-form been a passenger during these last couple of years.

As an outsider, i.e. not a Dallas supporter, I would think that one of the number one priorities had to be working on getting good defensive support on the back end. Oduya will be a stabilizing force on any pairing and simply having him on the roster will lead to easier minutes for others.

Edit: I'd obviously also treasure a player like Hamilton much higher, he has the potential to be a clear cut no 1 D, but he has been playing under the mantle of Chara and, to a certain extent, the rest of Boston's quite solid defense core. Now he will play in a very strong CGY defense and will look great doing it. Oduya has also played with great players, but the difference is that his role in Dallas will not be much different from his role in Chicago. What you see is what you get and, as I wrote above, I think that what you get is something which Dallas really needs.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dunno why I didn't think of it earlier, but didn't Oduya play the right side with Hammer?

I could see him being paired with Nemeth to try and replicate that duo if that is the case.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Oduya is a very defensive stay at home type of dman. Pairing Oduya with fellow defensive stay at home Swede Nemeth could become a great shutdown pair, potentially one of the best in the entire league. Yes, Oduya was paired with Hammer a lot in Chicago and these guys wasn't easy to score on, often against the opponents best players.

Cool fact is that both Nemeth and Oduya played youth hockey for Hammarby (Stockholm team), not at the same time though. ;-)

Oduya is a good skater though, leading to some counter attacks.

Because of the extremely defensive role Oduya often is given by the coach he sometimes gets a scapegoat reputation among the fans, he was great for Chicago though.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If Oduya and eventually Franson set the market we might be in good shape. For me, the issue is term. If he signs for 4x5.5 or even 6 that would be ideal because he should be effective for at least 3-4 more seasons. If the cap is stagnant, he might not have the chance to chase top money like Seabrook, Byfuglien, and Johnson will get (if they make free agency).

Good point, as I was using last year for comparisons about what D might sign for. Basically, the Caps exploded the market price. This year has been more sensible.

The best case I can envision is they hold his salary to the existing $4.6M for no more than 4 years.

I can also imagine some kind of two step, where Goose gets traded at the deadline, but we also pick up another UFA to be, like Seabrook in a sign and trade extension. It could be crazy.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Good point, as I was using last year for comparisons about what D might sign for. Basically, the Caps exploded the market price. This year has been more sensible.

The best case I can envision is they hold his salary to the existing $4.6M for no more than 4 years.

I can also imagine some kind of two step, where Goose gets traded at the deadline, but we also pick up another UFA to be, like Seabrook in a sign and trade extension. It could be crazy.

I'm sti holding out hope we manage to trade for Josi :sarcasm:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Dunno why I didn't think of it earlier, but didn't Oduya play the right side with Hammer?

I could see him being paired with Nemeth to try and replicate that duo if that is the case.

Hammer played on his off side. Oduya normally played left.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

No way does he sign for less than 5. In 12-13, Wideman got 5.25x5 and Carle got 5.5x6. Goligoski is better than both, but I hope they get him at near that rate.

Regarding Seabrook, we took on Sharp and Niemi without much coming off the books. I doubt there will be room. My count is 14.71m to replace 4 depth forwards and Goligoski and Demers plus the raises for Eakin, Oleksiak, Ritchie, and Nuke. Seabrook takes up 50% of that space easy, and 9m isn't out of his reach IMO. I'd expect next offseason to not have a big money addition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad