Confirmed with Link: Stars sign Daley to extension (6 years, $19.8M)

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=547736&navid=DL|DAL|home

Frisco, Tex. – Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced today that the hockey club has signed defenseman Trevor Daley to a six-year contract extension worth $19.8 million ($3.5 million for each of the first four years, $3.1 million in 2015-16, and $2.7 million in 2016-17).

“Trevor is a big part of our team and an important member of our blue line,” said Nieuwendyk. “At 27 years-of-age, we feel his career is pointing up. We expect him to continue to develop and grow as he takes an even bigger role on our team. We are pleased to have him under contract for another six seasons.”

Daley, 27, has played 37 games for Dallas this season, averaging 22:54 minutes per game (ranks second on the team), while collecting 2 goals and 9 assists. He ranks second on the club in defenseman-points with 11. The Stars have won six-consecutive games when Daley scores a goal, dating back to last season. The 5-11, 205-pound defenseman collected his 100th career point (goal) Mar. 10, 2010 at Buffalo.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
^Agreed.

At least this shows that Nieuwy isn't afraid to throw some money around, but just.....take care of those who truly matter, Joe.

If he re-ups Krys Barch next, I'm starting a "Fire Nieuwendyk" thread. :laugh:

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
i dont get it. So he played pretty well for about a month. He's not particularly good defensively and he doesnt really put of offensive numbers. Why is he getting a big raise and a super long term deal? If we started to struggle he would have had tremendous trade deadline value, now hes an average defenseman with an above average pricetag. Ive been a big daley supporter for years, but this just doesnt make any sense.

now that i think about it its really not a big surprise. Nieuwendyk seems to put a high priority in guys who are good for the lockerroom and my impression of daley is that hes about as good of a teammate as you could ask for. They probalby should have waited until after they knew what Richards was going to do but it fits the MO.

Last edited:

MetalGodAOD*

I think this is a surefire sign that Richards will be re-signed. Joe said on the ticket that the creditors are on board with their plan to lock up their core. There's no way he spends 3mil/yr on Daley if they didn't agree to also invest 8mil/yr in Richards. It'd just be Pejorative Sluration. From the way the interview sounded he was entering into negotiations with both Richards and Daley now that he had the creditors' blessings.

As for the deal, I wold have prefered 4 and 2.9mil. The thing I dislike the most is the NTC. I don't think we should be throwing those out lightly without a big discount. But If we get a top PMD and a #2 Daley will fall back to the #4-5 position where he belongs, and there's nothing wrong with having solid depth in the blueline. Look at Philly this year, their bottom pairing guys are in the $3mil range and they'll have the D depth to survive injuries int he playoffs. Not a bad model to follow IMO.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I think this is a surefire sign that Richards will be re-signed. Joe said on the ticket that the creditors are on board with their plan to lock up their core. There's no way he spends 3mil/yr on Daley if they didn't agree to also invest 8mil/yr in Richards. It'd just be Pejorative Sluration. From the way the interview sounded he was entering into negotiations with both Richards and Daley now that he had the creditors' blessings.

As for the deal, I wold have prefered 4 and 2.9mil. The thing I dislike the most is the NTC. I don't think we should be throwing those out lightly without a big discount. But If we get a top PMD and a #2 Daley will fall back to the #4-5 position where he belongs, and there's nothing wrong with having solid depth in the blueline. Look at Philly this year, their bottom pairing guys are in the $3mil range and they'll have the D depth to survive injuries int he playoffs. Not a bad model to follow IMO.
It does seem like Joe tosses around the NTC like noones business. Daley and Ott are not NTC players. Who else has Joe signed? Eriksson maybe? NTC makes sense for him, and he did sign what seems like a below market deal. It doesnt make sense to overpay money wise and include NTCs.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Remember that this is Provenzano giving out the NTCs like complimentary after-dinner mints.

________

Feb 6, 2006
It does seem like Joe tosses around the NTC like noones business. Daley and Ott are not NTC players. Who else has Joe signed? Eriksson maybe? NTC makes sense for him, and he did sign what seems like a below market deal. It doesnt make sense to overpay money wise and include NTCs.

I think Eriksson has one, other player was Robidas who received a NTC.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

It would be Pejorative Sluration to pay Richards 8mil/year, but I agree with your overall assessment of the situation.

This NTC business is pretty ridiculous though. A major point of a NTC in an extension for a current player is to get the price tag down, this is clearly not a hometown discount contract, nor was Ott's.

I think Eriksson has one, other player was Robidas who received a NTC.

Eriksson, Robidas, Ott, and now Daley are all Joe guys with NTC's. It's a dangerous way of doing business and was a hallmark of Armstrong's tenure.

MetalGodAOD*

It would be Pejorative Sluration to pay Richards 8mil/year, but I agree with your overall assessment of the situation.

This NTC business is pretty ridiculous though. A major point of a NTC in an extension for a current player is to get the price tag down, this is clearly not a hometown discount contract, nor was Ott's.

Should have said "up to 8 mil." I think Richards signs somewhere around 7mil personally.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I am not overly thrilled with the length or the amount, but it is the market rate for defensemen these days. And although Daley is a little bit of a spaz, I think he's better than people here give him credit for.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I found this part interesting:

Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced today that the hockey club has signed defenseman Trevor Daley to a six-year contract extension worth $19.8 million ($3.5 million for each of the first four years, $3.1 million in 2015-16, and $2.7 million in 2016-17).

The salary is structured how it typically is for a 27 year old player. I may be reading too much into this but it is interesting to me that the lenders are alright with the bigger money years up front rather than in the middle or on the back end of the deal.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
I found this part interesting:

The salary is structured how it typically is for a 27 year old player. I may be reading too much into this but it is interesting to me that the lenders are alright with the bigger money years up front rather than in the middle or on the back end of the deal.

Yeah that is really really telling.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
He and Ott are good buddies, and I'm sure Joe's who angle is keeping guys like that who aren't too old, but are still veterans that can provide good leadership for the younger guys. Since it's not too much of a raise I'm fine with it as long as we ditch Niskanen.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
As I said in the main board thread, this should definitely signal Richards is close to signing an extension. If we have the money to resign an lets just say, less than major piece to a long term deal, we have the cash to resign Richards to a reasonable deal.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If Daley plays out this contract he's going to be one of the longest tenured players in franchise history. Up there with Modano and Broten. That's wild.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
NTC may mean you just have to pay someone to move-more important is this to show Richards u are serious or is he locked up soon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad