Post-Game Talk: Stars @ Senators

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I can't tell if some of you just ***** perpetually, or just don't understand professional hockey, but wtf is Stache supposed to do in the SO?

He's hoping to get these guys going, and if he doesn't put one of our "top 3" players out there, and their replacements don't score- what do you think the questions will be then?

The players need to be better. Plain and simple.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I can't tell if some of you just ***** perpetually, or just don't understand professional hockey, but wtf is Stache supposed to do in the SO?

He's hoping to get these guys going, and if he doesn't put one of our "top 3" players out there, and their replacements don't score- what do you think the questions will be then?

The players need to be better. Plain and simple.

Yeah not sure what people are really expecting in the shootout. Players are very inconsistent there for the most part. How many times did they put Alfie out there in a row without him scoring?

People in this fanbase need a bit of patience. This is a long season and the team is starting to look better.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Yeah not sure what people are really expecting in the shootout. Players are very inconsistent there for the most part. How many times did they put Alfie out there in a row without him scoring?

People in this fanbase need a bit of patience. This is a long season and the team is starting to look better.

I wish they would just get rid of the shootout all together, probably one of my biggest pet peeves in the NHL.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'm not a fan of the shootout because the loser still gets a point, which leads to way too many 3 point games. In the end that clogs up the standings, and decreases the distance between good and not-so-good teams.

They should either get rid of OT and shootouts all together and go back to the one point for a tie system, or they should keep the OT and shootout but take away giving out a point for losing. The current setup is nonsense.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
I'm not a fan of the shootout because the loser still gets a point, which leads to way too many 3 point games. In the end that clogs up the standings, and decreases the distance between good and not-so-good teams.

They should either get rid of OT and shootouts all together and go back to the one point for a tie system, or they should keep the OT and shootout but take away giving out a point for losing. The current setup is nonsense.

Losing two points in a shootout would be a joke.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Interesting stuff here from Yost. Zone entries and exits player by player.
Mac-Turris-Ryan as expected, comes out on top. Cowen serious problems entering.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/Zone-ExitEntry-Performance/134/55402

Good one. Indicates who had a hard time doing the simple stuff in the defensive zone (Greening, Phillips, Cowen).

& The simple stuff in the neutral zone (Cowen, Greening, Spezza, Neil, Karlsson)

I can overlook Neil as his role is a fighter/deterrent & Karlsson, obvious.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
As far as pure "sports entertainment" value goes, that was the best game of the year thus far. The only thing that would make me think it was fixed and the NHL was pulling some "Anything Can Happen In The World Wrestling Federation" stuff on us, is if Borowiecki scored in overtime to win the game for us.

On a side note, with is mustache, Borowiecki looks like that guy from Workaholics. He just needs the hair photoshopped over his helmet.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

I'm so sick of the shootout. I want them to go to:
- Old system: 2 pts for win, 0 pts for OT loss, split the points for a tie.
- Soccerish system: 3 pts for regulation win, 2 for OT, 1 each for a tie.

Or if we keep the shootout:
- Lifetime ban to stop Michalek from ever participating.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I would rather give 1 points each for OT tie but leave shootout wins column in the standings to use it as tie-breaker.
So it basically turns into a meaningless fun way to determine the winner but still has some value in the end.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Two games two shootout losses but they get a pt in each which is better than a regulation loss. It's a sign hopefully that they are improving although it could also be argued they are playing against lesser opponents. I prefer to think they are improving, they are shooting more & scoring more & have cut down the number of penalties.

They still need to do more of that plus reduce the mistakes & giveaways & that should reduce the number of shots against & hopefully goals against. They also as a team need to play with more of an edge, they need to be harder to play against & shoot more in the offensive zone & pass less & drive the net more. Ottawa needs to get back to shooting 50 shots on net each game rather than against.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm so sick of the shootout. I want them to go to:
- Old system: 2 pts for win, 0 pts for OT loss, split the points for a tie.
- Soccerish system: 3 pts for regulation win, 2 for OT, 1 each for a tie.

Or if we keep the shootout:
- Lifetime ban to stop Michalek from ever participating.

Shootouts are the worst.

I understand the reasoning that games have to be a certain length for TV team.

An idea I like, which I'm sure I heard second hand some where else, would be a 5-3 overtime period. The home team can elect to go first or second.

They get 2 minutes straight of 5-3 to score as many goals as they can (of which, like shoot out goals do not count towards the stats). Then the second team has to go and beat the amount of goals that were scored by the first.

I'd also work the standings like this. 2 points for a regulation win, 1 point for an overtime win, 0 points for an overtime loss. It would create incentive for teams to bust their ass during the final minutes because they'd be costing themselves a point if they were unable to end the game in regulation.

Overtime/gimmick (shoot out) victories really shouldn't be worth the same amount of points as putting a team down in 60 minutes.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Shootouts are the worst.

An idea I like, which I'm sure I heard second hand some where else, would be a 5-3 overtime period. The home team can elect to go first or second.

I like that idea but the problem with anything like that is it increases the chances of injuries. You are going to often end up with 3 guys dog tired stuck out for the full 2 minutes.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
BTW, I loved Turris on the point for the PP.

Turris - Karlsson
Wier - <someone other than Phillips>

Should be the setup going forward.

I know I will be crucified for this, but I would try Cowen on the second pairing with Wier playing the right side.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
BTW, I loved Turris on the point for the PP.

Turris - Karlsson
Wier - <someone other than Phillips>

Should be the setup going forward.

I know I will be crucified for this, but I would try Cowen on the second pairing with Wier playing the right side.

Zibby on the left and Wier on the right on the 2nd PP !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad