Post-Game Talk: Stars @ Senators

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
That pinch is systemic. It's very clear that's the way the coach wants our D to play and that pinch was well covered, it was just a weak goal/good shot by Whitney. You can't criticize Cowen for making that play without calling out the coaching staff as a whole.

Cowen had a strong game today, kept it very simple, won lots of battles along the boards and kept the play alive in the O zone when needed.

Finally someone who sees this as well.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I thought the team played pretty well for the most of the game. Cowen's pinch was not very good, but forwards need to support him on that one, and EK could have gotten closer to Whitney or Andy could have stopped that shot. So to put 100% blame on Cowen on that goal is not fair. I thought he played ok otherwise, need to keep that up. EK still struggles with decision making at times, and other times, he intercepts passes and dekes 3 guys, then have a shot on goal, looking like a ******* god.

A bad break on the own goal, and a good break on Ryan's tying goal, so luck was even tonight. Now, they just need to somehow find a way to win a game, that's all, things will get better from then on. There are some good signs today. However, keep in mind, Dallas was struggling in their own rights too, so still things to work out for our team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just finished watching the delayed game

Overall the Sens played a very solid game outside of a big part in the 1st period. They cut the shots against after the first and I’m not sure the Stars have had more than 3 scoring chances after their 2nd goal. Good 2-way effort in the last 2 periods and OT, but again, gotta play 60 minutes to assure a regulation win

Gotta like the offense the Sens produce, a lot of scoring chances, and some converting but could be even better. That M-T-R line is absolute gold, but have to find more chemistry and less line juggling for the others…

The defense is playing good in parts but oh “surprisingly” (lol), it is when they get good puck support from the forwards… so they can make simple plays. Not a lot of D-men in the NHL have Karlsson’s ability to move the puck, so most NHL D-men need simple plays and open lanes to get it out. Our defense is not getting it consistently so far this year, the team is out of sync and that explains the turnovers… But hey, I guess it’s much more simpler to say “player X sucks”

Happy to hear Andy is up and walking.

4 wins 10 losses. We suck. There is no reason to be positive at this point. This team isn't making the playoffs.

Saying we have a 4-10 record is a very ignorant way to look at it.

So we have 4 OTL/SO L? Basically, it’s equal to 2-2, so the Sens record is in truth 6-8… 2 games under 0.500, 68 games to go. If we were 4-10 for real, this board would be closed.

The shootouts were tie games before where both teams were getting a point, and that’s what we got tonight, another tie… The only thing that shootouts accomplish is to make standings closer at the end of the season. No one even gets a +/- or a goal against in shootouts. But of course, that point is important but at last tonight, it went to a West team so not all that bad.

But technically, the Sens have now a record of 4-6-4.

Obviously, not enough wins… but what is good is they only have 6 regulation losses (4 of them were by 1 goal, if you count the Edmonton game who scored in the empty net), right in the middle as 15 teams have less than that…

Why is it good despite that "horrible start of the season" like the board is actually thinking?

Because it’s a 82 games season and you have all kind of stretches… In the end, the OT/SOL balances it out. The Sens (like many NHL teams) should get about 10-12 OTL/SOL. Let’s say they get 12 this year. So what will be the record in those 70 other games? That's what is really important. In reality, they need to go about 40-30 in those remaining games, gives them 92 pts which is a pretty much a lock to qualify, particularly in the East. Since they are 4-6 so far, they need to go 36-24 (60%). Not super easy but not impossible as well.

What is left to discover now is will they be able to win 36 of the last 68 games?

I don’t know why people get that mad for overtime/SO losses… What is bad is regulation losses.

That being said, the team HAS to get wins from shootouts too, and end up around 0.500 in those at least…

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Horrid 1st period, rest of the game we owned them.
Don't really care bout the loss cause it's in SO where we always suck. I just don't know why we don't try EK65 in shootouts? he could be good with his speed

He and Zibby... maybe Conacher.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I honestly think the team is still adjusting to Macleans system with the new players around. We've seen flashes of it executed pretty well but haven't found the consistency yet. The Detroit game was a perfect example of what it can be and how dangerous our top players are.

I still think we won't be a 100% until the 20 game mark and after that the team will go on a tear

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I was at the game tonight and all I have to say is I wasn't too impressed with Cowen, his passes weren't good and he never seemed to be making the right decisions (i.e. if there was somebody open he wouldn't always pass it to him). Also the play where he pinched and put himself out of position only to force EK to race back and try to cover him (and fail) was bad, that lead to an avoidable goal. This isn't a knock on Cowen and me saying he sucks, in my eyes he just seemed to have a bad game today.

EK on the other hand, he played unreal this afternoon...take away his goal and assist and he was still excellent. I never realized how good he is with takeaways, and aside from that his passes were on point today. Definitely one of his best games so far this season, hopefully he slows down soon because I'd rather see Subban get the Norris this year ;). Should be a fun matchup between EK and Subban this thursday, I'll be going to that game too and cheering on one particular team more than the other.

Also Ryan was super clutch today, thought it was game over.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I was at the game tonight and all I have to say is I wasn't too impressed with Cowen

In A Nutshell: holding out and missing training camp, in a season in which you are coming back from sitting out most of the previous year with injuries, is a bad decision for a young player to make in regards to his development.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Fire Michalek`s surgeons because they could not make him stronger, faster, nor smarter.

Ya like Michalek's work on the tying goal...

God he sucks.

What would you rather a win and then a regulation loss, or 2 shootout losses.

6 or half a dozen?

hahaha, exactly. Best simple way to explain it. I wish I could explain things the simple way too. Would save a lot of time.

Anyone else find Greening had a good 3rd and OT

His mother.

No, seriously he was actually doing some good things but overall, very disappointed by him this season. He needs to have some kind of impact. He is too much of a passenger so far.

Cowen played 10 mins more than Methot. Interesting no? (yes, it's because of their partners. still....interesting)

Yet, it was one of the best games of the two defensively. I'd like to see this from now one and IMO would stabilize the D :

Cowen-Karlsson
Methot-Wiercioch
Phillips-Boro/Corvo

Trade Gryba while he has some value? Can we get something decent for Greening + Gryba?

Cowen didn't have a good game tonight. He just was barely a liability (his pinch leading to the first goal IIRC he wasn't anywhere near the puck and completely took himself out of the play). He still gave the puck away a bunch and was slow and hesitant in his own zone.

Borowiecki is better than Cowen.

It's unbelievable how quickly some hockey fans develop biases against players. So we can be sure from now one that Cujomi will continue to defend Spezza no matter what and bash Cowen no matter what

Sounds so rational.

Finally someone who sees this as well.

Ok guys, but it's really nothing new... It has been part of the Sens system for years now... Still, not everyone get it :laugh:

What's ironic is to read those posters call the players/coach/GM dumb. Overall, most people aren't a lot brighter than other people and surely wouldn't better in the same situation. Maybe it's just jealousy

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
In A Nutshell: holding out and missing training camp, in a season in which you are coming back from sitting out most of the previous year with injuries, is a bad decision for a young player to make in regards to his development.

Well we all know he'll turn out to be good, but he definitely missed out on some valuable pre-season training. He should be getting in the grind soon enough I'd imagine. How would tonights game compare to the rest of his games so far this season?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Well we all know he'll turn out to be good, but he definitely missed out on some valuable pre-season training. He should be getting in the grind soon enough I'd imagine. How would tonights game compare to the rest of his games so far this season?
Some fans wanted him in the pressbox (which is actually understandable) while a few wanting to trade him (calm down guys). So not good so far, more of a mess everywhere, but he's coming off a major injury and he has a lot of tools and should rebound eventually.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I have a bias against Cowen because he's been bad? Also I was trashing Spezza against the Islanders. People will see what they want to see I guess. I can see why you would think that I come off as defending Spezza no matter what though given the numbers of Spezza haters on this board and how little recognition he gets for his strong plays (such as his work on the game tying goal, and the 2nd team goal).

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Some fans wanted him in the pressbox (which is actually understandable) while a few wanting to trade him (calm down guys). So not good so far, more of a mess everywhere.

Well I only got a good look at him last year, especially when he played the habs and I hated him, which is a good thing, he was very physical and he was OK defensively (definitely didn't look like a liability)

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Well I only got a good look at him last year, especially when he played the habs and I hated him, which is a good thing, he was very physical and he was OK defensively (definitely didn't look like a liability)
The Habs for whatever reason (style and slowly withering down with injuries at that particular moment vs the Sens) made a few players like EK and Cowen look better then they probably were at the time
I have a bias against Cowen because he's been bad? Also I was trashing Spezza against the Islanders. People will see what they want to see I guess. I can see why you would think that I come off as defending Spezza no matter what though given the numbers of Spezza haters on this board and how little recognition he gets for his strong plays (such as his work on the game tying goal, and the 2nd team goal).
Well no one will argue with you he's been bad, but Cowen has found himself in a lot of your trade proposals, and it's clear which players you put and and put down.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well no one will argue with you he's been bad, but Cowen has found himself in a lot of your trade proposals, and it's clear which players you put and and put down.

They're purely hypotheticals as in "if a trade were to happen..."

I've mentioned many times I don't think this team really needs to make a trade right now (nor do I think they will). Though I think the team could use another top 4 defender to really make it a contender.

I've been hard on Karlsson when he hasn't played well, and I have been hard on Spezza (my favourite player by a mile) when he isn't playing well. I like to try and be honest in my assessment of the players on our team which I find is hard when there are some very clear biases by the majority of the board towards certain players. So of course I'm going to come off as biased towards Spezza when there are so many people that try to put him down when there's no reason to and I'm one of the few defending him constantly. Pretty sure everyone has been down on Cowen this year (he's been bad). Everyone seems to love Karlsson pretty much no matter what so when I'm pointing out his mistakes I come off as biased against him but I actually love Karlsson as a player and talk him up all the time.

It's just perspective I guess. When the majority of posters are giving way more slack to some players (Karlsson, Alfredsson) and are very hard on others (Spezza, Anderson) I don't mind looking biased for pointing out faults in the former and defending the latter.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
But you become the same as those who would trade a captain and a #1 goalie with the snap of a finger. People aren't being easy on Karlsson, they've only been (unfairly) hard on Spezza.

Every player's situation is different, as an example Cowen gets a chance to play with Karlsson and wants to improve, while Boro is running on adrenaline wanting keep up with the team, but then you conclude Boro is better. It may be your honest assessment, but it's hard to take it seriously at times.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
But you become the same as those who would trade a captain and a #1 goalie with the snap of a finger. People aren't being easy on Karlsson, they've only been (unfairly) hard on Spezza.

Every player's situation is different, as an example Cowen gets a chance to play with Karlsson and wants to improve, while Boro is running on adrenaline wanting keep up with the team, but then you conclude Boro is better. It may be your honest assessment, but it's hard to take it seriously at times.

IIRC I said that Borowiecki is better right now, and he is. Cowen has been one of the worst players, if not the worst player, for Ottawa this year. You can say he wants to improve all you want but that's the truth. Right now Ottawa needs to win games and I'd absolutely rather have someone in "running on adrenaline" than someone who is second-guessing his every move, playing with no confidence and hurting the team. Until Cowen finds his game he is exactly that. Now he looked better today than he has for most of this year, but he was still a liability which says a lot.

I don't want to trade anyone at the snap of a finger. Again, my hypothetical trades are based on rumours. If a trade were to happen this is what I would like to see type thing. I haven't gone to the main board and been like "hey take Cowen off our hands" or been like "Cowen needs to be off this team ASAP" "trade Cowen!!" like people are with Spezza or Anderson.

Edit: I see I said "is better than Cowen" but my intent is that he is a better option right now.

Edit 2: It was in my original post that I said "right now"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I was at the game tonight and all I have to say is I wasn't too impressed with Cowen, his passes weren't good and he never seemed to be making the right decisions (i.e. if there was somebody open he wouldn't always pass it to him). Also the play where he pinched and put himself out of position only to force EK to race back and try to cover him (and fail) was bad, that lead to an avoidable goal. This isn't a knock on Cowen and me saying he sucks, in my eyes he just seemed to have a bad game today.

EK on the other hand, he played unreal this afternoon...take away his goal and assist and he was still excellent. I never realized how good he is with takeaways, and aside from that his passes were on point today. Definitely one of his best games so far this season, hopefully he slows down soon because I'd rather see Subban get the Norris this year ;). Should be a fun matchup between EK and Subban this thursday, I'll be going to that game too and cheering on one particular team more than the other.

Also Ryan was super clutch today, thought it was game over.

Yep. That's the real beauty of watching Karlsson play. He'll do a lot of nifty little moves in the defensive zone (and all over the ice) to quietly strip someone of the puck...but he'll do it with good body positioning and an active stick instead of a thundering hit, so most fans don't notice it. Iirc, he was something like top 5 in the entire league in takeaways in his Norris year. He was among the leaders again last year until his injury.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
We had a lot of nice chances this game. Next game is important.

I wish we can cut down on the odd man chances we give up. Either cut the seemingly systematic pinch ins or get forwards to pay attention. We really can't have those going the other way during the playoffs.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Because it’s a 82 games season and you have all kind of stretches… In the end, the OT/SOL balances it out. The Sens (like many NHL teams) should get about 10-12 OTL/SOL. Let’s say they get 12 this year. So what will be the record in those 70 other games? That's what is really important. In reality, they need to go about 40-30 in those remaining games, gives them 92 pts which is a pretty much a lock to qualify, particularly in the East. Since they are 4-6 so far, they need to go 36-24 (60%). Not super easy but not impossible as well.
Not imposible, but only if some adjustments/trades was made immediately. Cause if we in the same spot at 20 games mark, we are done for the season. If nothing drastically changes its safe to say we go maybe 2-3-1 in next 6 games. 6-9-5 in 20 game mark. Its 17 points in 20 games. To reach 95 points (guaranteed PO spot) we need to go then 39-23. We need to be best team in the East, to make that rekord.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Ok guys, but it's really nothing new... It has been part of the Sens system for years now... Still, not everyone get it :laugh:

What's ironic is to read those posters call the players/coach/GM dumb. Overall, most people aren't a lot brighter than other people and surely wouldn't better in the same situation. Maybe it's just jealousy

Its gotten ridiculous around here. Harping on a vet whose getting up there in age I could get, but giving up on a 22 year old kid who has shown flashes and coming off a serious injury is ridiculous.

Its not hard to understand why cowen and the defense are playing the way they are, its because thats what the coaches want. But the masses on here have turned...

John Holmes*

Michalek just isn't the same player anymore. He used to be able to turn on the jets and blow by / through the D and all we would complain about is that he missed so many breakaway chances.

Tonight there was a play where he tried to jump through the D and he wasn't fast enough to make it through.

A few seasons ago, I think he makes that play.

He's clearly lost a step, and with his knee history and age creeping up there, he probably won't get it back.

He still had a decent game. Had a few chances and of course made the pass to Ryan.

Without Boro's selfie, I think we take this game in regulation.

**** happens.

Also, Cowen was a lot better than he has been. I know people jumped all over him for Whitney's goal, but as far as breakdowns go, that wasn't so bad. It really wasn't a great chance.

Sometimes you just have to concede that the opposition player took a great shot. Which he did.

If the exact same play happened but it was Zibanejad or Ryan that blasted one home, I suspect "great shot" would come out ahead of "bad goalie".

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Cowen def didn't play a perfect game, but he looked a lot better playing against the stars best players than Weircioch did playing sheltered minuted. Patty looks slow out there and is having a real tough time defensively. That be said, I thought he played much more physical the second half of the game.

Cowen made a lot of real solid plays shutting down 2-1's and eliminating forwards. If he and Karlsson can be a legit pairing, that means Methot can anchor the second pairing which would solve many of the Sens problems so far. Second and third period were actually nice to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad