News Article: Stars reportedly will sign Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Roman Polak to a one year deal

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
I wouldn’t want it if he is not top4 D. We have ridiculous amount of depth D and would rather try them out before spending 2-3 million on them.
We do have a lot of depth at D, and the kids should take a step forward this year. Maybe its my old school mentality that has me wanting the big shutdown/shot blocking defenseman. I understand the logic of puck movers, but sometimes you get hemmed in. I feel we need someone to separate the man from the puck in those instances. Im not sure we have anyone who does that well in our pipeline.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
We do have a lot of depth at D, and the kids should take a step forward this year. Maybe its my old school mentality that has me wanting the big shutdown/shot blocking defenseman. I understand the logic of puck movers, but sometimes you get hemmed in. I feel we need someone to separate the man from the puck in those instances. Im not sure we have anyone who does that well in our pipeline.

Is Roman Polak not a good enough example for you?? We do have D that blocks the shots; Zaitsev, Dermott, Hainsey all are good at it. The problem lies in the soft as butter like Gardiner who not just turns the puck over like a brain dead re**** he also plays like a little girl playing hockey. He gets pushed around so much and he keeps trying to make the long passes for the break outs that leads to icings.

At least we wouldn’t have Polak to ice the puck every now and then and we won’t be stuck with Bozak-JVR and Gardiner-Zaitsev on icing anymore.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Is Roman Polak not a good enough example for you?? We do have D that blocks the shots; Zaitsev, Dermott, Hainsey all are good at it. The problem lies in the soft as butter like Gardiner who not just turns the puck over like a brain dead re**** he also plays like a little girl playing hockey. He gets pushed around so much and he keeps trying to make the long passes for the break outs that leads to icings.

At least we wouldn’t have Polak to ice the puck every now and then and we won’t be stuck with Bozak-JVR and Gardiner-Zaitsev on icing anymore.

I think you hit the nail right on the head here a few times. The players taking the draw the most when Polak iced it was Bozak/JVR. That line got hemmed in a lot because they were soft defensively. Couldn't separate the man from the puck. Thats what Polak did, then iced it. Better he could have gotten it out without icing it but at least icing it is lower risk then letting another team run your players in circles until they score. Maybe we don't need that style of defender anymore now that Bozak/JVR left. That would be nice.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Leafs will need to sign someone to fill his role. Dubas probably doesn’t understand that you actually do need some physical, shot blocking dmen, who are quality PKers.

If Dubas can’t find a replacement it will speak volumes.

Dubas built the Marlies!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
AHL success means nothing in regards to predicting NHL success. You were probably saying the same thing about Dallas Eakins. If winning an AHL championship as “GM” is impressive to you, then there is nothing left to say.

They doninated. Not just won, fockin completely kick butt elite record breaking doninance. Keefe is a exxellent coach but Dubas engineered that group. Team building is team building no matter the league. Then he qualified all his Rfa's to reiterate his faith in them. This guy knows how to keep his options open. Very savvy and well rounded is Dubas.

All of management is actually smart.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think a blueline needs it's movers and shakers. Not a lot of shakers. When JVR decides to park in front of the Leaf's net, not sure there's going to be anything they can do about it. But who knows?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Leafs will need to sign someone to fill his role. Dubas probably doesn’t understand that you actually do need some physical, shot blocking dmen, who are quality PKers.

If Dubas can’t find a replacement it will speak volumes.

Yea, and given what he's done so far it's hard to think he may know what he's doing. :sarcasm:

Your posts are quite entertaining, but a touch transparent.....you should work on that so the bait covers the hook a little better

Reactions: Erdinger

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Guys guys guys, why the animosity. We won the Calder Cup and we have John friggin Tavares. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.

Go Leafs Go!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad