Stars Hire familiar face as new GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
After a year of uncertainty at the helm of the Dallas Stars ownership has turned to an old face to head the team into the future.

After spending the better part of the last two years with the Hurricanes organization as Assistant General Manager after leaving the Stars after a very public blow out with former Stars GM Jordi Kleijs is none other than Laurens Thie.

"I was actually really surprised when I got the call with the job offer the other day", said Laurens from his home in Ottawa. "After the little row I had with ownership and Jordi about the direction the team was taking over two years ago, I was pretty sure that I'd burnt a bridge with the organization."

While being questioned about the surprise move to bring Thie back, Tom Hicks, owner of the Stars had the following to say. "Laurens is very passionate and dedicated to the game of hockey. There is no denying that. Sometimes he doens't see eye to eye with people and he doesn't back down from a battle. After he left our organization, we noticed just how much of an influence he was in the office and even in the locker room. This is a pure case of "you don't know what you have until it's gone". We're estatic that everyone was able to put the past in the past and that we're all focused on the future now."

Thie definately has a bit of a daunting task at hand. The team has seen better days, but I'm sure with a few schrewed moves and some roster shuffling, Thie will bring the Stars back to their glory days.

The most immediate needs the Stars have right now is getting a backup goalie. The Stars can not expect Kipper to play all 82 games this year. As well, the Stars are going to need to get a 3rd or 4th line centerman before the season begins.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Welcome back, Laurens! Glad to see the Stars with a good manager in place.

FYI, you could probably sign Dan Ellis to back up Kipper without having to give up any assets. He wouldn't be well rated this year, but he'd be a warm body, and is playing quite well for Iowa this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad