GDT: Stars @ Flames, 7:30PM on TSN & Fan960

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You cant blame 4 goals entirely on the guy either. I spend most of the games watching the teams defensive play, and that is the part of Hartley's system that they either haven't mastered yet, or something that has to change. There are way to many turnovers because of the stretch pass game they like. I cannot blame any one line either, because it has happened to all of them. The Flames win a puck battle down behind their own net, and in an attempt to spring our offensive rush with a stretch pass they find an opposing player pinching and intercepting the pass.

The Flames are excellent in the opposing end. Simply adequate in their own zone.

The problem is Hartley's system is about fast break outs if you change the defensive coverage then we don't have the offensive chances, its a catch 22. When they need to play defensively they can like against Dallas in the third.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
16th in the league with 1158 blocks = 14.12/game
Strange, perhaps the reduced shots is due to more time in the offensive zone. But there has been alot of quality scoring chances, unfortunately that will expose us some more since Irving just isn't Kipper.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Not disagreeing with you, just wondering how you account for the fact that we've averaged the 4th fewest shots against/game?

Shots do not mean scoring chances. The defensemen need to simmer down for a second and keep their head up before that stretch pass is made, instead they often throw it off the boards or down the ice without really thinking if a Flame can get to the puck before it is intercepted or iced.

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
Shots do not mean scoring chances. The defensemen need to simmer down for a second and keep their head up before that stretch pass is made, instead they often throw it off the boards or down the ice without really thinking if a Flame can get to the puck before it is intercepted or iced.

Well yes and no, a scoring chance is nothing more than a shot from a "high-quality" area. Although lots of shots doesn't necessarily mean that you've had lots of scoring chances, it seems odd to me that scoring chances are apparently up while total shots are down.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Well yes and no, a scoring chance is nothing more than a shot from a "high-quality" area. Although lots of shots doesn't necessarily mean that you've had lots of scoring chances, it seems odd to me that scoring chances are apparently up while total shots are down.

With good puck cycling and patience. That's how scoring chances are high with low shot counts. I would much rather see more shots forces from the outside than letting them win the board battles down low/turning the puck over creating havoc at the net. Watch this next game against the Blues: we will see if the Flames can settle things down in their own end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad