GDT: Stars @ Flames, 7:00 PM SNET-FLAMES

LukeD

On Fire
Apr 1, 2012
Nova Scotia
Went to bed during the 2nd, wake up and see those stats for Benn and Seguin...

Im-not-even-Mad-Ron-Burgandy-Anchorman.gif

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It's common in hockey parlance. But anyway, yeah, let's move every 21 year old who doesn't produce like a superstar immediately. Brilliant.

If you hadn't noticed, Baertschi's been scratched twice for not being effective enough in all three zones, while Hartley has out right said Backlund was scratched because he wasn't producing enough offense. So clearly, there's pressure on the young guys to produce right now or face the consequences.

Well, some young guys anyway. Colborne's 4 points in 18 games apparently warrants nary a peep. But it's enough to cement a top six spot moving forward.

I agree. Plus they wouldn't send Monahan back down because it would an admittance of error by keeping him at the NHL level. Colborne has been invisible and logy. But whatever, its a rebuild. This is why we have veterans working the heavy shifts, we knew we would get burnt by the top dogs.

brewski1810

Jul 12, 2010
Was at the game last night, just way to many team errors, also very disappointed with ramo, sure the team didn't play in front of him after Berra was pulled, but Christ you gotta make a save somewhere! Sure do miss the kipper, our goaltending and lack of depth are our biggest issues right now.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Hartley really needs to change his lines up.

I really like Baertschi and Backlund on the same line. I think a guy like Jones or Stempniak would make that a good line. Hudler and Cammy need to start playing together. I want to see something like this:

Cammy - Stajan - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Jones
GlenX - Monahan - Stempniak

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
If the Flames could have gotten Seguin for Gaudreau and the 6th overall, I'd have done it in a heartbeat

That would be tempting, and a short term win (as well as a guaranteed high end player), but it's entirely plausible that Monahan and Gaudreau end up more valuable than Seguin.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

I really like Baertschi and Backlund on the same line. I think a guy like Jones or Stempniak would make that a good line. Hudler and Cammy need to start playing together. I want to see something like this:

Cammy - Stajan - Hudler

I think unless one really ***** the bed in the next year or two, Baertschi and Monahan are pretty much glued together for the rest of their careers in Calgary.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think unless one really ***** the bed in the next year or two, Baertschi and Monahan are pretty much glued together for the rest of their careers in Calgary.

Why? Backlund is still under 25yrs old and if we can have two threatening lines to build around, that's better than going all in with 1 line.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Why? Backlund is still under 25yrs old and if we can have two threatening lines to build around, that's better than going all in with 1 line.

I just mean that's what management wants, they're projecting a Baertschi - Monahan first line. Also I don't see Backlund as having the offensive skill to be able to anchor a second line that would use Baertschi effectively.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Cammy - Stajan - Hudler

With GlenX out I would love to see

Colborne - Stajan - Hudler
Cammy - Monahan - Stempniak

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Cammy - Stajan - Hudler
This. Except I would switch Hudler and Stempniak. I think Monahan needs to play with Baertschi or Hudler and right now he has more chemistry with Hudler and Sven has worked well with Backlund in the past.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
:laugh:

I don't get why we won't play Ramo.

Berra just looks like he is a more fluid, confident goalie. Sure his rebounds are eratic at best, but I kinda just feel more confident he is going to stop the puck than when Ramo is in. That being said, I think they are about equal as far as puck stopping ability goes, but I think Berra just looks nicer doing it. Also, Hartley knows and likes Berra, which as we all know, makes up for about 90% of his decision making.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Berra just looks like he is a more fluid, confident goalie. Sure his rebounds are eratic at best, but I kinda just feel more confident he is going to stop the puck than when Ramo is in. That being said, I think they are about equal as far as puck stopping ability goes, but I think Berra just looks nicer doing it. Also, Hartley knows and likes Berra, which as we all know, makes up for about 90% of his decision making.

For me Berra is the best and worst goalie we have had over the last 2 years. In games he is on he plays like a real starter but when he is off he gets beat by everything and the team falls apart.

Ramo is much more consistent.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
For me Berra is the best and worst goalie we have had over the last 2 years. In games he is on he plays like a real starter but when he is off he gets beat by everything and the team falls apart.

Ramo is much more consistent.

The question is, can Berra's consistency be worked on. If Malarchuk can worth with him on his mental game, he can be a real force back there. Remember, he's brand new to the league, and I think that both goalies have shown really high ceilings. They both just need to work on their respective games. To do that though, they both need starts, so I see where you're coming from.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The question is, can Berra's consistency be worked on. If Malarchuk can worth with him on his mental game, he can be a real force back there. Remember, he's brand new to the league, and I think that both goalies have shown really high ceilings. They both just need to work on their respective games. To do that though, they both need starts, so I see where you're coming from.

Could it be worked on? Yes, but why only play him until he has worked on it?

Le Messie

Jul 8, 2009
It's like Hartley just doesn't like Ramo.
Did he sleep with his wife or something ?
MacDonald had back to back games.
Berra had back to back games.
Even if they had average games, Hartley gave them a chance.

Ramo ? If he doesn't win, he's out. The same guy who keeps talking about how confidence is key.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, to be honest guys (and I've been in Ramo's corner from the start), Berra's goals last night were none of them his fault. Hung out to dry big time. But Ramo got an opportunity to come in and give a solid relief performance, and frankly failed to do so big time. He also got hung out to try on some of the goals for sure, but he just gave no reason to suggest that he wrestled the starter's role out of Berra's hands. I'm not trying to be too hard on Ramo, because for sure it's difficult to be mentally prepared for a relief appearance, but Seguin's fourth goal in particular looked pretty bad.

Le Messie

Jul 8, 2009
I'm not buying that ''none of them were his fault''.
Ramo goals were : 2 perfect one-timers and one breakaway.
Last goal was weak but it didn't matter anymore.

It's not Berra's fault when he gets scored on ... but it is when it's Ramo ?
There should be some kind of rivalry between the two goalies but there's just none. I wouldn't mind if Berra was ahead of Ramo in term of skills, but I think they're pretty much on the same level ... they both have their weaknesses.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad