GDT: Stars @ Caps - 4/1/2014 - April Caps Fan Day.

leova

Feb 28, 2008
“I feel like we’re trying to change our identity every night.†Troy Brouwer said.
versus
“I don’t see the guys not trying,†Coach Adam Oates said. “We’re trying to do the same thing every night.â€

now maybe they weren't exactly talking about the same thing, but the team and the coaching staff is clearly NOT on the same page

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Those quotes say all that needs to be said about Oates. He's like that super smart teacher you had that couldn't understand why people didn't understand stuff. Just can't relate. Two seasons in with 7 games left to play in a play-off hunt and you have guys saying they're not sure how they're supposed to play. Unbelievable.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Those quotes say all that needs to be said about Oates. He's like that super smart teacher you had that couldn't understand why people didn't understand stuff. Just can't relate. Two seasons in with 7 games left to play in a play-off hunt and you have guys saying they're not sure how they're supposed to play. Unbelievable.

And thats not just any player. Thats Troy Brouwer who is one of the leaders and one of Oates' most beloved players.

I also agree that at this point Beagle with Ovie is punishment just like it was last year with Crabb and co.

Green not on the PP despite more PP points than Carlson? Punishment.

Brouwer and Laich sucking at even strength? No problem.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lines are

Grabovski-Beagle-Ovi
Johansson-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Fehr-Ward
Penner-Kuznetsov-Wilson

#oates

if assume that the beagle line is the 4th line with ov effectively being benched and the kuz line the 2nd line.....I can see it.

grabo yapped at oates after playing on the 4th in the last game. ov has not wanted to follow oates coaching on something. boom.

those lines are probably a typo but....maybe ov is scratched next

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
My .02

The Caps have 7 games left: 4 on the road.

Their road record: 14-16-7 (they're 20-12-6 @ home)

A win in regulation (along with a loss in reg by the CBJ) is critical.

Lose in reg tonight and a win by CBJ and I think it's over.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
My take on the brouwer comment is that they are trying to match their opponents weaknesses every game and that they really don't have an identity as a team.

Sunday - Oates: Tonight we're playing X. They get caught low when on the attack. So for tonight we're going to try and make quick outlet passes to our forwards in stride so they can have an odd man break and get some goals on the rush.

Tuesday - Oates: This team is good defensively, but played last night, lets put the pucks in the corners and make them work hard.

Friday - Oates: Today, if we're going to beat team Y we're going to have to draw a lot of penalties because they suck on the pk

Sunday/tuesday/friday - Players: What does he want me to do today? Is mojo going to be trying to stretch the d if I win a battle in the corner or is he going to be stuck on the half boards? Is Greenie allowed to rush the puck today? I don't know what's going on!!!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't know. I don't really see that level of execution from game-to-game to suggest it's tactical variance from the coaching staff that's the issue rather than lack of discipline from the players (and, of course, a horribly bland system at that). Brouwer tends to loathe finesse players so he's probably tired of seeing some of the forwards float along and not paying any price. I don't see them attempting to become a transition-based team at all because they remain utter trash through the neutral zone so for him I guess it's just shorthand for not playing North/South enough. Shrug. He's going down with the ship so...whatever.

Can they spell desperation? Tough one.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Really disappointing. I know there are flaws on defense but the forward/goalie groups on this squad are good enough to be a playoff team. Instead we have a coach who is clearly in over his head.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
My take on the Brouwer comment is what the **** are you ****ing serious? 1.5 seasons in and nobody has any idea what's going on?

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
Brouwers right honestly my Beer League team has more of an identity right now

And my beer league team is more like the caps. :/

Many of the guys have no idea what they are doing and we squeak into the playoffs every year and are lucky to win the first "round"...always lose in the second.

And I'm the GM!

Oh no, I should fire myself!!!!

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Grabo suggested that playing at wing tonite was related to conditioning and not being fit enough yet for the extra skating and D responsibilities of center position.

Plus, originally Beagle was put with Ovie as response to injuries of 21 and 84, and to the miraculous plummeting +/- of Gr8.

But yes, personally i'm over the Beagle-8 era. For god's sake, let's put Grabo in between Ovie and either Kuz or Penner. Ovie might actually get an ES goal again.

Vladiator16*

Lines are

Grabovski-Beagle-Ovi
Chimera-Fehr-Ward
Penner-Kuznetsov-Wilson

#oates

Just saw theses lines... :laugh::loony:
Caps team identity:

tumblr_inline_mhzkde0sUO1qz4rgp.gif

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Grabovski-Beagle-Ovi
Chimera-Fehr-Ward
Penner-Kuznetsov-Wilson

This makes me want to pull my hair out. One at a time.

4-1 Stars. We will be "sleepy".

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Grabo suggested that playing at wing tonite was related to conditioning and not being fit enough yet for the extra skating and D responsibilities of center position.

Heh.

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 6h
#Caps Grabo says conditioning is why he is playing on left wing, Oates says "I thought he looked good"

Once again, everybody on the same page.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
To all you mother****ers who wanted this guy and/or were fine with this guy as the coach....

Thanks!!

Jackasses.

I remember thinking during the offseason "well, he revived Ovechkin, finally got his system in place and clicking, and Grabovski will add to the 2C position... gonna be a good year!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad