GDT: Stars at Blues Game 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I disagree. I think we are forgetting who got stuck up ice shorthanded. Though JBo lost his footing, the Blues were shorthanded...where was Petro? How can you blame Shatty for a moving tip play? They were still recovering from wondering what Elliott was doing with the puck.... Worst game I have seen Parayko play. Turned the puck over. Poor positioning. Terrible passes. I'm starting to wonder about all the hype. I think he may be no better than a 3-5 defenseman. Terrible two games in a row. He may be the guy to sit. Evidently, he's pretty predictable as Dallas seems to know right where he is going with the puck. Borts, Guns, Petro, JBo, and Shatty all played fairly well. It's a game of adjustments (last night...hiccups) and Hitch was a day late and a dollar short.

Why are you always so intent on blaming Bouwmeester's mistakes on Pietrangelo. Bouwmeester wasn't hung out to dry on that play. Regardless of where Petro was, Bouwmeester was in good position on the play with support from the forwards. It was either a 2 on 2 or a 3 on 3. That is 100% completely and totally Bouwmeester's fault.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
It should seem, based on the way the Stars seemed over-matched when the Blues were on their game for ~2 periods, that there shouldn't be any reason to despair over this going to a game seven. The way the series has looked so far it looks like it wouldn't quite be a toss up.

But I also believe that there is a price to be paid for letting teams hang around and wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Stars pull it off, especially since it's a home game.
This series didn't feel so much like a constant back and forth (like Chicago), it felt like one team (Stars) was allowed to linger longer than they should have and now they are facing their opportunity to take the series. They may come out with an energy that wasn't seen in any of the previous six games.

Exactly my thinking. You can only let a team hang around for so long before they spring out. You eventually run out of games to right the ship. We are at the point where there is no more room for error. We allowed them to move the setting back to their ice in a game where we could have put it away. We have looked better most of the series, but that doesn't matter. The Stars found a way to win those close games and now we go into a game 7 with a goalie who is probably a little shaken, and a team that isn't playing the best.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Brouwer takes some of the blame for that 3rd goal too. He took a dumb penalty to give them that PP. PPs are going to happen but taking a dumb one when the team is already on its heels and shaky is really bad.

The penalty was idiotic. Agreed

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Let's back down off the ledge guys. Yes, the blues squandered another opportunity to close out a series on home ice and that sucks. But you take out that awful 5 minutes in the first and we're the better team. We're still the better team. Home ice has meant nothing this series. If we play for 60 minutes then we win on Wednesday.

We could have just done that last night, you know? I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how I'm supposed to believe the Blues will come out flying and play a full 60 when they should have done all of that last night.

I mean, if you can't get up and be ready for a game 6 at home with a chance to close out the series and move on the Conference Finals for the first time in over 10 years, how am I supposed to believe they will get up for game 7?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We could have just done that last night, you know? I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how I'm supposed to believe the Blues will come out flying and play a full 60 when they should have done all of that last night.

I mean, if you can't get up and be ready for a game 6 at home with a chance to close out the series and move on the Conference Finals for the first time in over 10 years, how am I supposed to believe they will get up for game 7?

I don't think they came out flat at all. 1 blocked shot and within 30 seconds they were down 2-0. That usually doesn't happen but it did. They did just about all they could to get the game back, except score 1 more. Lehtonen played very well and kept that game for Dallas.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Florida fan coming in peace.

My take on the game is that the Janmark goal flipped the momentum. Prior to that goal, STL had put a couple shifts together and was beginning to assert itself...Dallas was aggresive blocking shooting lanes and harrasing the point...causes a turn over and Janmark scores.

If you can't walk the line and create a shooting lane, there is nothing wrong with just throwing the puck back in the corner and having your forwards cycle / grind it out.

It wasn't one of Elliots best games, but I think he should start in Game 7. He has been great otherwise.

Paryako needs to be stronger on the puck....too many soft clears.

Fabbri has been a revelation. Plays bigger than his size, strong on the puck, good passer, good zone entries, very creative. I'm a fan.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
This series didn't feel so much like a constant back and forth (like Chicago), it felt like one team (Stars) was allowed to linger longer than they should have and now they are facing their opportunity to take the series. They may come out with an energy that wasn't seen in any of the previous six games.

All I could think of after last night was how the **** is this series going to a 7th game? Dallas is on about their 10th life. I have no idea how the Blues continue to operate on such a thin margin with such a talented group of skaters. They just cannot put teams away.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
Not sure why anyone, myself included, is surprised. This has been our M.O. all year. Playing a 40-50 minute game, shots not getting on net. Bad starts or bad finishes. We are who we thought we are. Buckle up, because game 7...anything can happen.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
My frustration is that the team never seems like they're raring to go when the puck drops. They always seem to have to ease into it...and some other teams are ready to explode at the puck drop (in the playoffs).

They'll have to earn it tomorrow, but Dallas is not the most intimidating venue. If you'd told me they would be one game away from the 3rd round before the playoffs started, I'd have taken it.

Big problem is that Lehtonen played very well, and is going to be playing with confidence tomorrow. And Elliott is going to have some questions until he starts making a few saves. He most certainly got rattled last night. I think its going to be important for the Blues to get the first goal. If they can get a 2 goal lead, I think Dallas will start to freak out a little bit.

I give Lindy Ruff a lot of credit for coaching them to this point. St Louis looks like the better team for longer periods in this series, but they have managed to lose 3 games. Dallas can steal it, and they have a lot going for them. The Blues are going to have to dig deeper again. If they're a Cup contender, they'll win that game. If they manage to lose, we'll realize that the Chicago series was too emotionally draining and it will just have to be more lessons learned for next time.

I wish Tarasenko would show up again.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
I wish Tarasenko would show up again.

He may need to throw the team on his back tomorrow. Weird, the low stretches he goes through, but he is also the guy you are not surprised by when he out plays every person on the ice by a country mile.

Would have been nice if ells stops the first one.

Would have been nice if Brouwer does not take a TERRIBLE penalty.

Would have been nice if Bouw does not fall on his ass.

Would have been nice if Schwartz gets a little hang time on the 1 timer.

Will be nice when we trade Shattenkirk because he sucks.

The Blues played pretty dang good though. We win game 7 if we have that same offensive effort.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Why are you always so intent on blaming Bouwmeester's mistakes on Pietrangelo. Bouwmeester wasn't hung out to dry on that play. Regardless of where Petro was, Bouwmeester was in good position on the play with support from the forwards. It was either a 2 on 2 or a 3 on 3. That is 100% completely and totally Bouwmeester's fault.

I'm sorry...God...skate wherever you want to whenever you want to. JBo....it's your fault you don't have a defensive partner and God doesn't make mistakes...just offensive guys forced to cover for God's lapses of judgment or "decisions", if that is okay to say. If he didn't fall, then he makes that play. Petro had no business being were he was shorthanded...Sorry. I'd split the blame 50-50 at least. Agree to disagree. Lane starts closing on the rush..defensemen chips the puck in.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I don't think they came out flat at all. 1 blocked shot and within 30 seconds they were down 2-0. That usually doesn't happen but it did. They did just about all they could to get the game back, except score 1 more. Lehtonen played very well and kept that game for Dallas.

Eh, they may not have "come out flat" but they looked out of sync most of the first. Poor passes, offsides, failed clears, etc all throughout the first period.

Lehtonen did play well, but we missed a lot of chances.

Without a couple goal lead and with Ells on his game, I think we take game 7. At this point, the road might be more welcoming than being home, since they keep losing here.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lehtonen also hasn't had 2 good games back to back...and pressure is on them at home

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I am wondering whether Dallas may be a little tight and feel some pressure with the home crowd. It can't only be the Blues who play that way all the time. Do Dallas feel like underdogs with nothing to lose? Or do they feel like the #1 seed expected to win at home?

My fear is that they feel like a team back from the dead with a new lease on life.

The bright side I suppose is that St Louis can feel disappointed and like they missed an opportunity....and they're not out of it yet. Put together a solid game and play well, they should move on.

If they lose tomorrow, I'll be disappointed, but not as crushing as the Minnesota loss. Dallas is a good (but vulnerable) team. But I've had some good times this post-season as opposed to the slow-motion trainwreck we've had the previous few years. And I'll believe this team can win a series after this, even against a tough opponent. But dammit, can they just keep it going this year. Getting into the last 4 feels like a Cup is realistically within reach!

I think the Blues are playing for a Cup and the Stars are playing to win a series. Or that's what is on the players' minds. Not sure which is better.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
If they lose tomorrow, I'll be disappointed, but not as crushing as the Minnesota loss. Dallas is a good (but vulnerable) team. But I've had some good times this post-season as opposed to the slow-motion trainwreck we've had the previous few years. And I'll believe this team can win a series after this, even against a tough opponent. But dammit, can they just keep it going this year. Getting into the last 4 feels like a Cup is realistically within reach!

We might as well take advantage of the fact that Backes and Brouwer decided to show up this year and move on to the next round. They probably won't be Blues next year anyway (which I'm ok with, particularly Backes considering what he will cost). Bring on the WCF. I'm not done with Blues hockey yet. They owe us more spring excitement.
Premature, but if we make it to the finals...there is no way we lose to an Eastern Conference team. The cup is ours. :hit:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If they lose tomorrow, I'll be disappointed, but not as crushing as the Minnesota loss. Dallas is a good (but vulnerable) team. But I've had some good times this post-season as opposed to the slow-motion trainwreck we've had the previous few years. And I'll believe this team can win a series after this, even against a tough opponent.

It's definitely less crushing since we have a series win under our belt, and a good one against our #1 rival. However, I disagree with the implication (if you were making it) that Dallas is a good enough team to justify us losing this. They are without Seguin, which is huge. They are a team we should beat WITH him. We were not healthy at all this regular season and they barely held us off for the #1 seed. Now we are healthy. Subtract an arguably top 10 player in the world from them and it is definitely a huge letdown to lose this series from a purely on-paper point-of-view.

We have definitely made decent strides in fixing some of the things that have plagued us in the past. We haven't wilted when things go wrong. We have actually played a full 60 minute game or two. We have gotten better secondary scoring. Still we are definitely making it harder on ourselves with blown defensive coverages, blown scoring chances, turtling, going away from the strats that work and not playing a full 60.. We have gotten the breaks in this playoffs (Keith and Shaw suspensions, lucky bounce goals and posts, and Seguin missing out all series). Instead of sitting in the conference finals after 2 5-game series, we are praying to win our second consecutive game 7. If we lose tomorrow, I still want to see big changes going into next year.

Edit: Not saying we will lose. It's a 50-50 coin toss on which Blues team shows up. And that is all that matters. Dallas does not. If the right Blues team shows, we win. The wrong one, we lose.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
it depends on what goalie we get. do we get a goalie who lets in awful C quality shots or a goalie who outplays their team.

also have to win the special teams battles.

the rest is irrelevant. only 1 game this series the stars have won where our goalie & special team wasnt meh or awful and that was game 1. game 4 and game 6 both of them were awful and they lost them.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
it depends on what goalie we get. do we get a goalie who lets in awful C quality shots or a goalie who outplays their team.

Sweet. So if we start Elliott (goalie who outplays his team) and keep Jake the Shortside Snakebitten on the bench (goalie who lets in awful C quality shots), we will be golden. I feel much more confident.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Sweet. So if we start Elliott (goalie who outplays his team) and keep Jake the Shortside Snakebitten on the bench (goalie who lets in awful C quality shots), we will be golden. I feel much more confident.

#mrgame7BrianElliott

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO

also have to win the special teams battles.

the rest is irrelevant. only 1 game this series the stars have won where our goalie & special team wasnt meh or awful and that was game 1. game 4 and game 6 both of them were awful and they lost them.

I think it depends on who scores more goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad