Post-Game Talk: Stars 4 @ Canucks 2 | 3/12/15

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Vrbata hasn't look good outside of that one game.

Vrbaby is a useless player. If he isn't scoring goals he isn't doing anything.

Anyway, we can't possibly play any worse than we have been. I saw we win this one. Sedins with 3 points each.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
But...but...isn't this the gritty, tough, hard-nosed team full of compete that Benning himself put together? The team that would take a step back in the regular season but be grittier in the playoffs? Now he's saying we lack those things?
Benning is not afraid to admit his mistake, we all know that from sending Vey down and trading Clendening right away.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
this team is not capable of standing up for each other. he's a complete idiot if he thinks they can. look at the personnel ffs.

Any team is "capable" of standing up for each other. You don't have to be a knuckle-dragging thug to get in someone's face and show some push back. That may not be the natural temperament for a lot of this team but that shouldn't matter. You do it because you care about your teammates, full stop.

That this team didn't do that against Anaheim is inexcusable and speaks to the character of *a lot* of guys on this team. Disgusting.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Benning is not afraid to admit his mistake, we all know that from sending Vey down and trading Clendening right away.

He's also not afraid to double down on his mistakes...trading Garrison and making it worse by getting Vey, Sbisa contract, Dorsett contract...

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Any team is "capable" of standing up for each other. You don't have to be a knuckle-dragging thug to get in someone's face and show some push back. That may not be the natural temperament for a lot of this team but that shouldn't matter. You do it because you care about your teammates, full stop.

if the majority of players are inclined to do nothing when a teammate gets mauled I'm not sure how you can change them. Maybe he needs to hire a hypnotised?

edit; and if they're doing it against their will, it's not going to be very successful.

Last edited:

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
He's also not afraid to double down on his mistakes...trading Garrison and making it worse by getting Vey, Sbisa contract, Dorsett contract...

The only thing certain is that Benning makes a lot of mistakes. :sarcasm:

Hope Kenins-Horvat get re-united for the game

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

That this team didn't do that against Anaheim is inexcusable and speaks to the character of *a lot* of guys on this team. Disgusting.

Exactly.

I should also clarify - if Prust or Dorsett come out tonight with some sort of staged fight nonsense, that completely doesn't address the issue that we saw and Benning has called out his team over.

When you have a 6'1, 185lb 19 year old kid getting shoved around by a 6'4, 220lbs grizzled veteran who already knocked your other 19 year old kid out of the game with a cheap cross check...every other freaking player on the ice should be screaming in there to stand in the middle. But not one bloody player came to McCann's aid. He acquitted himself well (and Benning said as much), but that was a pretty poor showing of teamsmanship by the Canucks there. I'm not saying fight Getzlaf - I'm saying get in the middle to prevent him from going at the rookie. Any player in any game can do that. That's not just on Prust or Dorsett.

Although it's also another interesting hole in the theory that seeing a guy like Prust or Dorsett on the other team in any way serves as a "deterrent" to playing like a cheap piece of dirt.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I want to bet big on the stars, but that's when the Canucks will show up and win.

Hmm

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Is Miller starting tonight? Probably, I guess?

Yes. WD said he "considered" going with Markstrom but opted for Miller.

Don't know what to make of that. Both goalies were solid in their last showings, but got completely hung out to dry by their team. I don't really think it matters who goes in tonight, to be honest. If the team delivers another effort like the last two, this will be over before the first period ends.

Amused To Death

Nov 6, 2009
Victoria
The team needs some kind of shakeup, starting Markstrom would be a nice deviant from the norm here. Especially considering Markstrom looks better than Miller at this point..

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
if the majority of players are inclined to do nothing when a teammate gets mauled I'm not sure how you can change them. Maybe he needs to hire a hypnotised?

edit; and if they're doing it against their will, it's not going to be very successful.

I'm saying that any player *can*. There is no reason Jonathan Toews can stick up for a teammate and whoever was on the ice with McCann couldn't, other than their willingness to do so.

And of course it shouldn't be "against their will", they should *want* to stand up for each other. That is a normal, healthy reaction for a hockey team with strong character and team bonds.

That they didn't shows me they lack the above. I'm not sure it can be changed, short of moving certain players out and bringing in players that have a higher compete level and willingness to play all aspects of hockey, not just the skill ones (and even there they are poor).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Miller starting, how shocking.

This team in ****ing unbearable in just about every aspect.

Desjardins can **** off anytime soon - how does Markstrom not start tonight? Steals the Canucks a point by himself alone, but hey, why start him again, he may do well and get on a roll and push Miller to even further irrelevancy.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Marky should've started tonight, but it was never going to happen because Miller isn't the one who has let the team down. Even so, if you don't get the consecutive start after *that* performance - you may start to doubt you'll ever get it. I just hope Biega remains a Canuck and that McCann continues to be awesome at this point. Not worried about Horvat and Virtanen has been rushed but won't be ruined (I hope).

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Sometimes the coach can be simply out-of-touch.

Reminds me how the Flyers continuously start Steve Mason (5-7-3 with a GAA of 2.73 and a SVP of .911 ) over Michael Neuvirth who is 5-3-1 with a GAA of 2.05 and a SVP of .939. They even assured the team that Mason is the clear starter. :laugh:

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Benning certainly had some choice words about the team's battle level/willingness to stand up for each other in the Vancouver Sun. Wonder if that will have an impact, or if it will fall flat.

Maybe he should have words with his boys Dorsett and Prust, they don't seem to be doing much standing up for anybody.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Reminds me how the Flyers continuously start Steve Mason (5-7-3 with a GAA of 2.73 and a SVP of .911 ) over Michael Neuvirth who is 5-3-1 with a GAA of 2.05 and a SVP of .939. They even assured the team that Mason is the clear starter. :laugh:

To be fair to Mason, he was excellent last year, unlike Miller who hasn't been in quite some time. Also, Mason was dealing with an illness iirc that kept him out and then the games he got in were sub par. He seems to be turning it around recently.

I think there's gotta be a balance between sticking with your guy through a rough time and realizing that your guy simply isn't good enough and is being outplayed.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I can live with Prust on McCann's line, but Dorsett as well is just stupid.

I'm predicting Prust hugs someone in a "fight" for a couple of minutes and Dorsett has an amazing scrum/60 ratio while Sbisa takes a penalty.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

That's at least understandable. A better example is how they have Voracek playing with 4th line scrubs and are sticking with it because they've won a few in a row. And benched Medvedev in favour of scrub dmen. That's WD-like coaching.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

To be fair, Steve Mason was very good last season.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Canucks win this one easily. Prust and Dorsett will stand up for their teammates, albeit a couple of games too late, and Miller's calming veteran presence will guide them to victory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad