Post-Game Talk: Stars 3, Pens 2 - Kunitz Not Enough To Overcome Murray's Glove, Undesperate Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Everyone that is calling out people for *****ing should note that late last year there wasn't this *****ing because the team was actually playing well more often than not. The one time there were few complaints was the one year we finally got over the hump in the playoffs.

Every other year that we have *****ed there have been proper issues masked by our stars that have shown up in the playoffs. There's a big difference between having issues most games and overcoming them sometimes vs occasionally having a dud game while playing well most of the time. We're very much in the first type at the moment.

Uh huh.

Go look at every post game thread following every rare loss last year after the team really started to take off, then come back and tell me people weren't losing it like usual.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Expectations were reasonable last year as well entering the playoffs.

Most were just happy that they were fun to watch again, and would have been happy with winning a couple of rounds given the awful start to the year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Uh huh.

Go look at every post game thread following every rare loss last year after the team really started to take off, then come back and tell me people weren't losing it like usual.

Do they look like a well-oiled machine to you? Do you think Sullivan is using the best possible line combinations at his disposal?

Just curious if you actually disagree with people who are complaining, or if you're just disagreeing with them for the sake of wanting to say, "stop freaking out"?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
We look tired and uninspired. First or second round exit team the way things are trending. Probably first because I don't see us beating Columbus looking like this. We might still beat the Rangers not at our best, but wouldn't beat CBJ imo.

If we're lucky we'll drop to 4th. Even half assing it we could still beat most Atlantic teams in a series.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'm not into doom and gloom and playing without Letang, Maata, Daley, Sheary and Rust is an impediment that shouldn't be understated.

But at the same time our lacklustre showings make me very hesitant supporting any big move.

To win the cup you have to have "it" - some undefinable thing that last year at this time we just did, and rode all the way to May.

Part of that was simply lucking into a line where suddenly Bonino became a different player that he has ever been before or since, and we played at a pace that left pretty much everyone reeling all the time.

If there is a switch we can just flip, then all can still be golden when we get guys back, and if Sullivan does right by the team in terms of lines when the heat is one, I don't see that we need anything to compete with anyone.

But if I was the GM, I would have no other priorities than trying to move Fleury, because the way the team has looked performance-wise for a good long while, I don't believe there is some silver bullet out there.

The teams' compete, hustle and execution just isn't there to the extent that is required or should be expected at this stage. We are a looong way away from looking like a team that dictates anything pace wise. This team lacks "it" too much for me to want to mortgage any significant futures on the here and now, considering that we are already competitive despite having suffered more significant injuries than any other contenders and look pretty golden for the next couple of years also relative to our natural rivals.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I can't believe people who lived through the Bylsma/Shero days are using a regular season win record to make the "everything is fine, there is no need to be upset" argument in 2017 :laugh:

How many times have we seen this team storm through the regular season on the backs of high scoring and star power only to lose miserably in the postseason thanks to issues that were easier to hide before the games mattered?

Here's the deal. We can get completely healthy, pitch a 112 point season, and still lose in the first round because these issues are not being fixed:

- Kunitz's usage has been inexcusable all year except for the brief stretch of games where he was on the fourth line. I don't see this changing in the playoffs when we need ~experience~, healthy or not.

- The defense has no transition game. This was true when we were healthy and it'll be true in the playoffs. The forwards are good enough to sustain a cycle and most of the defense can help do that much, but nothing is happening off the rush, the breakouts are garbage, and because the defense can't keep possession of the puck, the SA against numbers are scary to look at.

- Bonino is our worst player not named Kunitz. He has been given every single opportunity to regain his form. I could list all the benefits he's had all year again, but I've said it enough times. What more can the Penguins do to get him going? Should he be getting more ozone starts than Malkin? More PP time than Hornqvist? The only thing left that can be different about his situation is that it will be the playoffs. The games will be on NBCSN every night instead of just Root. What about the playoffs will make Bonino be a better hockey player?

The only one of these problems that existed this time last year was Kunitz. They can't live with all three of them.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
With everyone back up front we're ok but theres no HBK to save us.
Either Bones gets it together quick or HMK is the new HBK and they find fordimable 3rd line with with Bones or Cullen centering it.

Just don't see a repeat in the cards ladies and gents.
Go Wild!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
With everyone back up front we're ok but theres no HBK to save us.
Either Bones gets it together quick or HMK is the new HBK and they find fordimable 3rd line with with Bones or Cullen centering it.

Just don't see a repeat in the cards ladies and gents.
Go Wild!

Hopefully they go on a tear the last 10 games and **** **** up in the playoffs.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I have to agree with some of the comments here.

They haven't faced enough adversity that requires them to hit that extra gear. If they can't get down to business asap, and find that gear/desperation consistently enough that it becomes habitual, we're looking at an early exit.

Right now is the time for them to decide which team is going to the playoffs.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
I'm glad the Pens were not able to comeback in this, could do some good in the long run. It's march now, time to wake up and flip the switch so to speak.... This season wreaks of 2010.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
We have been for sure....:laugh:

We played well until December (EDIT: or just in november), then things started getting weird. 2017 has been very average so far. I think the hangover is very in play. The excitement and commitment isn't there. The puck movement isn't there (more understandable with all the D injuries).

EDIT:

OCT: CF close = 49.8%, FF close = 51.4% (Letang 4/9 games)
NOV: CF close = 53.8%, FF close = 55.4% (Letang 13/13 games)
DEC: CF close = 49.1%, FF close = 49.3% (Letang 8/15 games)
JAN: CF close = 48.0%, FF close = 49.3% (Letang 5/11 games)
FEB: CF close = 50.3%, FF close = 51.8% (Letang 11/12 games)

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
If he can't put up points against Dallas he won't win the Art Ross

Yep. Sad McDavid will narrowly win the Art Ross and the forums will explode with he's the new best player in the world and that Crosby's done, ect..... while we sit here and know that McDavid with Kunitz tethered to him would be an entirely different result.

:(

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I can't believe people who lived through the Bylsma/Shero days are using a regular season win record to make the "everything is fine, there is no need to be upset" argument in 2017 :laugh:

How many times have we seen this team storm through the regular season on the backs of high scoring and star power only to lose miserably in the postseason thanks to issues that were easier to hide before the games mattered?

Here's the deal. We can get completely healthy, pitch a 112 point season, and still lose in the first round because these issues are not being fixed:

- Kunitz's usage has been inexcusable all year except for the brief stretch of games where he was on the fourth line. I don't see this changing in the playoffs when we need ~experience~, healthy or not.

- The defense has no transition game. This was true when we were healthy and it'll be true in the playoffs. The forwards are good enough to sustain a cycle and most of the defense can help do that much, but nothing is happening off the rush, the breakouts are garbage, and because the defense can't keep possession of the puck, the SA against numbers are scary to look at.

- Bonino is our worst player not named Kunitz. He has been given every single opportunity to regain his form. I could list all the benefits he's had all year again, but I've said it enough times. What more can the Penguins do to get him going? Should he be getting more ozone starts than Malkin? More PP time than Hornqvist? The only thing left that can be different about his situation is that it will be the playoffs. The games will be on NBCSN every night instead of just Root. What about the playoffs will make Bonino be a better hockey player?

The only one of these problems that existed this time last year was Kunitz. They can't live with all three of them.

You act like some of the Shero teams weren't good enough to win it all. Sometimes your good enough but still lose. Especially 2011 and 2013.

1. With a healthy lineup Kunitz is at best a third liner likely a fourth liner. Problem 1 solved.

2. Our defense has been banged and up all year, if we get healthy and player simply don't play their worst hockey problem 2 solved.

3. Playoffs are a totally different animal, not only playing style but even the rules change in application for Christs sake. Bonino has proven throughout his career that he is good under these conditions. At the end of the day if Bonino is our biggest worry this team will be just fine.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Maybe if he'd stop using nonsensical, ******, ****ing stupid lines, he wouldn't have a need to yell so much?

These performances are on Sullivan. Yes, there are injuries. But handicapping your team even further by misusing the players you *do* have available to you is inexcusable.

So much this. Besides, it's hard to gauge what this team can actually do when the lines are a mess.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I'll never understand the comments of "oh we just won a cup with the same team." Why are people so content with living in the past? Winning last season has nothing to do with this season.

Right now? This team is, by and large, playing like *******. 1 out of every 6 or 7 games they look like a team that can take down anyone. The rest of the games they look so god awful. Sure, they are winning but if anyone thinks that this current level of play will be good enough in the playoffs, I dont know what to tell you. They'll be lucky to win a round. Particularly with their current level of injuries, but even without them.

Do I think they can flip the switch and go full balls? Absolutely. If they do that, do they have a shot at a repeat? NO doubt at all. But they've shown very little of that this season.

Its not all "doom and gloom" and hysteria to point out obvious flaws and to call a team out when they are playing like crap.

The "cup last year" excuse is wearing ****ing thin.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
"Flip the switch"

My God I'm ****ing sick of seeing those words. I don't trust Bonino to find the ****ing switch, never mind knowing how to flip it.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
"Flip the switch"

My God I'm ****ing sick of seeing those words. I don't trust Bonino to find the ****ing switch, never mind knowing how to flip it.

To be fair, its not only Bones that needs to do it. The whole team looks utterly disinterested. Sure, a couple of players here and there have a good game. But overall .. the team just looks ... I cant even find the right word. Just ... blah.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
"Flip the switch"

That has been used since after Bylsma's cup run. I'm still waiting for that to happen...:popcorn:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
That has been used since after Bylsma's cup run. I'm still waiting for that to happen...:popcorn:

Thats not entirely fair. They definitely flipped that switch last year.

Whatever the impetus was (coaching change, trades, etc), they turned on a MASSIVE gear to close out the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad