GDT: STARS (21-19-7) at SENATORS (19-18-9) | 7:30pm | TV: FS-SW, RDS2, TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
just saying he's a highly expendable player. nothing to write home about. he plays his role well but let's not go overboard.
On this we agree.

I wouldn't say highly expendable. Idk even know why you'd want to get rid of him. He's a very good 4th liner.

His roster spot would be replaced by a better player which would force a player on a higher line down a line which would improve our 4th line. In other words we bring up a good prospect like Puempel for example who replaces one of Chiasson or Michalek on the 3rd line & one of them replace Condra on the 4th line & Ottawa ends up with an overall better team. I will be very surprised if Condra is re-signed.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Give me a break. Yes every game that Lehner played he sucked. You do know he's 23? He's going to be inconsistent. Do you think goalies just come into the league and right away tear it up and are perfect?

I do know he is young. That doesn't change reality though. People are wooed by his sv% (on a team that gives up boatloads of shots) but ignore the softie(s) that are a nightly occurrence and the fact that he just. doesn't. win. Go back over the soul crushing losses over the last 3 seasons and look at how many of them featured Lehner....and how many of those featured ridiculously soft goals.

He should have been in the AHL for the last 3 years but forced his way up here by complaining. He has great potential but is being ruined by playing in a league that he isn't ready for. I imagine they are gonna work with him a lot this summer to get him back on track.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
On this we agree.

His roster spot would be replaced by a better player which would force a player on a higher line down a line which would improve our 4th line. In other words we bring up a good prospect like Puempel for example who replaces one of Chiasson or Michalek on the 3rd line & one of them replace Condra on the 4th line & Ottawa ends up with an overall better team. I will be very surprised if Condra is re-signed.

Prepare to be very surprised then. Also that's not how the NHL works. That's how NHL 15 works but not real life.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I do know he is young. That doesn't change reality though. People are wooed by his sv% (on a team that gives up boatloads of shots) but ignore the softie(s) that are a nightly occurrence and the fact that he just. doesn't. win. Go back over the soul crushing losses over the last 3 seasons and look at how many of them featured Lehner....and how many of those featured ridiculously soft goals.

He should have been in the AHL for the last 3 years but forced his way up here by complaining. He has great potential but is being ruined by playing in a league that he isn't ready for. I imagine they are gonna work with him a lot this summer to get him back on track.

I highly doubt he ruined his potential. He has shown great promise for a goalie his age. He's not Markstrom.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Players that hate to lose are what build successful franchises - Pronger, Roy, Toewes, chelios - ottawas biggest need is an ultra competitive top 6 forward. Macdavid is one and fingers crossed we win the lottery, but this nucleus of this team doesn't have the will to win that you need to be a playoff team in the NHL

Bingo. This team doesn't hate losing enough

The team is not good enough. That's the bottom line.

It's not about coaching or not hating to lose. The team is not good.

This is a bottom payroll team comprised of mostly aging vets and young kids with unrealized potential.

RedWhiteBlackGold explained it in more detail and I agree with him for the most part.

The roster is not good enough to win consistently. Period. No matter how hard you squeeze a lump of coal, you won't get a diamond.

I think you are all slightly off the mark.

The biggest issue is the team is extraordinarily young. Mendes said it best:

When you look at the roster and see the likes of Turris, Karlsson, Hoffman, Stone, Ceci, Cowen, Lehner, Pageau, Zibanejad and Lazar all under the age of 25, it's clear that this is a team that should be built to win in 2016 or 2017. And at that point, younger veterans like MacArthur, Ryan and Methot (if he re-signs) should still be valuable pieces to the puzzle

This team has a great future IMO. A few pieces (the big one being a #1C) away from being a real contender in a couple of years.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

This team has a great future IMO. A few pieces (the big one being a #1C) away from being a real contender in a couple of years.

This, people don't realize how young this team is.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Mendes should have done his research properly. Turris and Hoffman are not under the age of 25. They are 25.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I highly doubt he ruined his potential. He has shown great promise for a goalie his age. He's not Markstrom.

Despite Markstroms numbers (and the absolutely garbage Florida teams he has played for) he has won 42% of the 29 games he has started. Lehner has won 42% of the 67 games he has started.

Lehners numbers are certainly better...but again...he hasn't really shown an ability to WIN in the NHL. Im not saying Lehner is Markstrom...he is a much better goalie and prospect. And I don't think he is ruined...but he has also shown great cause for concern.

Im more just upset that his development was so bungled. When he demanded to be in the NHL they should have just said no. We should have ran with Bishop/Anderson for another 2 years.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yep.

Lehner is ahead of most goalies at his age. Inconsistency is just part of the growing pains. Remember when he struggled in the middle of last season, but finished really strong?

Remember after Halak played amazing for the scabs in the 2010 playoffs and they traded him to go with a 23 year old Carey Price? Well, people may forget because he's playing so well now, but there were some growing pains with Price along the way. There aren't that many 23 year old goaltenders in the league who are undisputed starters on their teams who don't struggle at some point. I'm not trying to say Lehner will be as good as Price, I don't think he will, but it's common to see young goalies have their up and downs. This is why i think we need to hold onto Andy for a while.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The day I want Condra traded is he day the Senators have 13 better forwards than him.

Today is not that day

Agreed 100%.

MAK and I have always been high on Condra, for years now. It's the one force that ties us together in the bonds of eternal friendship. As long as we can agree on this one thing, there is always hope for us.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The truth is, Condar has been an excellent player for us. His only problem is the he can't bury all of the prime scoring chances he creates for himself.

Because he misses people tend to write him off as useless, however, it should be noted that every scoring chance he creates and misses on is time that the other team isn't a threat to score on us.

See, Condra isn't just a great defensive player, half his great defense is turning defensive situations into instant offensive zone pushes and chances on goal. I swear, if he had a scoring touch at all, he'd be as valuable as Bobby Ryan.

Condra gets at least one breakaway a game, think about that, he's the only player on the team who does that. Also, he is one of the few players that we have that creates something out of nothing consistently.

Unfortunately he will always be looked at as the guy who can't finish anything, completely overlooking the fact that he made the whole thing happen to begin with.

He hasn't always been this way, but it looks like the scratches have really fired up his game and he is playing like someone who has their career on the line.

I like this player, and feel that he is far from replaceable by a generic 4th line player. The way he is playing right now is the way you HOPE your 4th line winger can play while your team challenges for a cup.

Yup, I'm a born again Condra fan, he's earned it. As Snoop once said, "and for those that don't like it, eat a stick"

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The day I want Condra traded is he day the Senators have 13 better forwards than him.

Today is not that day

tumblr_m5gocyhkco1rxc156o1_400.gif

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The truth is, Condar has been an excellent player for us. His only problem is the he can't bury all of the prime scoring chances he creates for himself.

Because he misses people tend to write him off as useless, however, it should be noted that every scoring chance he creates and misses on is time that the other team isn't a threat to score on us.

See, Condra isn't just a great defensive player, half his great defense is turning defensive situations into instant offensive zone pushes and chances on goal. I swear, if he had a scoring touch at all, he'd be as valuable as Bobby Ryan.

Condra gets at least one breakaway a game, think about that, he's the only player on the team who does that. Also, he is one of the few players that we have that creates something out of nothing consistently.

Unfortunately he will always be looked at as the guy who can't finish anything, completely overlooking the fact that he made the whole thing happen to begin with.

He hasn't always been this way, but it looks like the scratches have really fired up his game and he is playing like someone who has their career on the line.

I like this player, and feel that he is far from replaceable by a generic 4th line player. The way he is playing right now is the way you HOPE your 4th line winger can play while your team challenges for a cup.

Yup, I'm a born again Condra fan, he's earned it. As Snoop once said, "and for those that don't like it, eat a stick"

Well said.

I really have no interest in advanced stats, but Im fairly sure I've read that Condra is a beast in that regard, and that comes as no shock at all. Hes almost always a positive influence on the ice, and its easy to see if your watching for it.

Hands of stone aside, the guy is simply a good hockey player. He's an absolutely great fit for the 4th line, and seems to thrive in that role. I really hope he sticks around, seems like a good character guy too.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well said.

I really have no interest in advanced stats, but Im fairly sure I've read that Condra is a beast in that regard, and that comes as no shock at all. Hes almost always a positive influence on the ice, and its easy to see if your watching for it.

Hands of stone aside, the guy is simply a good hockey player. He's an absolutely great fit for the 4th line, and seems to thrive in that role. I really hope he sticks around, seems like a good character guy too.

He's not a tough guy by any means but I've seen him enter scrums and grab a partner, and even throw a few hits here and there.

I wonder if being one of the 'vets' by default has given him a desire to a bit more protective over the kids.

Also, it's almost like a leash has been removed or something and he's been told to attack the offensive zone instead of always dumping it in, or at least to freely play his game. It really is quite the transformation if you've been watching.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
People who think Condra is a detriment to this team basically have no idea what they are talking about

It's a good measuring stick in terms of knowing who not to listen to

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Since were on the discussion. Winnik or Condra. Santo or Condra

Two players who share condra's role who will be UFAs at the same time he is.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Agreed 100%.

MAK and I have always been high on Condra, for years now. It's the one force that ties us together in the bonds of eternal friendship. As long as we can agree on this one thing, there is always hope for us.

Bonk and MAK sitting in a tree.....

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
What is really wrong with Condra? He's a good forth line player and he's one of our best player on the PK.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
What is really wrong with Condra? He's a good forth line player and he's one of our best player on the PK.

There might be bottom 6 forwards who are better then condra who we can acquire this off season. Condra was terrible last year in his role. At the very least i demand top notch pk ability and a willingness to block tons of shots. Who's to say he doesnt go pack to how he played last year after he gets a contract.

Othello*

Condra is a smart guy, probably realized his future was at stake after being scratched in the beginning of the season during a contract year,which resulted in him working extra hard when he came back into the lineup. Smh no wonder Greening is so useless he has no incentive to play with that fat 3 mil contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad