GDT: Stares vs Aves(yes I'm bringing it back) 7PM MST

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The PK is broken. The dumb offsides rule saved them on one, but with both, Graves is on the far side not even defending the royal road pass. Special teams cost them this game, as they outscored the Stars at even strength again at regulation.

I really don’t know what to do with the defense (and not convinced they’ll change them), but Graves pinches a ton and it feels like that’s neutering Makar a bit. Makar’s not playing great on his own either way.

Burakovsky is so bad in the defensive zone. Scary.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The PK is broken. The dumb offsides rule saved them on one, but with both, Graves is on the far side not even defending the royal road pass. Special teams cost them this game, as they outscored the Stars at even strength again at regulation.

I really don’t know what to do with the defense (and not convinced they’ll change them), but Graves pinches a ton and it feels like that’s neutering Makar a bit. Makar’s not playing great on his own either way.

I don't think you got the memo, but Ryan Graves is a legit 1st pairing defensemen and the 8th best defensemen in the NHL this season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I am probably in the minority, but I honestly think this has lost us more games in the past month than goaltending us. However, the goalers have to be your best PKers, but the PK has been bad since the start of the season so it runs much further than just the goalers.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Earlier in the season the Avs werent playing good hockey but getting wins. Now they are playing mostly good hockey and losing. Go figure.
Pretty much. We're constantly winning the advanced stats right now but losing, where early on we were winning games that we weren't even close.

Makes no sense. That's why I'm not super concerned, eventually things will even out. And we'll win games where we control play and lose ones where we play poorly. And personally in think we play more good ones than bad ones.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
The irony of Bednar's even-tempered zen master personality is that his team is the most panicked group of players in OT. You'd think he'd tell them to calm the f*** down long enough to keep possession for more than 12 seconds. Every single time we get the puck it's gone because someone decides to go 1 on 2. We proceed to lose the puck and the other team skates circles around us until we're tired or we blow an assignment and it's in the back of our net. As it was spammed at the end of OT, we are so damn predictable.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I like Coach Bednar, but to salvage this season I really think it's time for a coaching change. This team needs to be pulled out of this comfortably numb mindset that is dragging them down to mediocrity.

I like(d) Bednar too. But this is not working. Hard to believe players want to play for him given his blame everyone but himself 'tude. He and Gru are a pair.

Reactions: arun

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They cant do what they did last season. The West is better than what it was last season especially the Pacific. The Avs continue this way they wont be in the playoffs. They need to stop this **** thursday going forward. They played well tonight and deserved better but NOT getting that third goal and NOT getting that save is what ultimately did them in again. If the Avs score to make it 3-1 I can almost guarantee they win tonight. Another line has to score. Mack had 2 points tonight and is carrying this team. Someone else has to step up offensively. ...be nice if the highest paid player on the roster would do something but hes to busy counting his money. Money that he owes Mackinnon.
Once again this team has turned into a bunch of passengers waiting for MacK to bail them out. Time for some other players to get going again. Can't win if you only have one player trying to do everything. He's amazing, but no one player is capable of just carrying a team every single night.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
The irony of Bednar's even-tempered zen master personality is that his team is the most panicked group of players in OT. You'd think he'd tell them to calm the **** down long enough to keep possession for more than 12 seconds. Every single time we get the puck it's gone because someone decides to go 1 on 2. We proceed to lose the puck and the other team skates circles around us until we're tired or we blow an assignment and it's in the back of our net. As it was spammed at the end of OT, we are so damn predictable.

Zen reference spot on sir.

Reactions: AegonLeConqueror

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is lottery team bad right now and it has to stop if they want to make the playoffs. I dont want to look at Top 10 draft list at all but im getting close
You know how much **** I've been talking to my students every day about the Avs being better than the Oilers?

We're 1 point ahead of them. They pass us and imma have to take some "sick days" so that I can hopefully wait for the Avs to crawl back ahead.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
6 wins in 17 games.

Disgusting. I hope this team is outside of the playoffs come All Star break. Maybe it'll be the ****ing message they need. Figure it the **** out and learn how to close out a damn regular season game.

You expect to do anything in the playoffs but can't even close out regular ****ing season games?
I agree 100% with you. I'm hoping these knuckleheads find themselves outside of a playoff spot and embarrassed as h*** by the All Star break. Why? Because we've seen that the Avs can't handle success without screwing it up royally, so maybe being "outside looking in" might be the motivating factor they need to finally start winning some games.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They cant do what they did last season. The West is better than what it was last season especially the Pacific. The Avs continue this way they wont be in the playoffs. They need to stop this **** thursday going forward. They played well tonight and deserved better but NOT getting that third goal and NOT getting that save is what ultimately did them in again. If the Avs score to make it 3-1 I can almost guarantee they win tonight. Another line has to score. Mack had 2 points tonight and is carrying this team. Someone else has to step up offensively. ...be nice if the highest paid player on the roster would do something but hes to busy counting his money. Money that he owes Mackinnon.
I agree with you, I'm just saying incase things go really bad and this team somehow finds themselves out of the playoffs, you gotta look at a coaching change. I mean Rantanen hasn't been good lately, but Bednar isnt helping by putting him on 3rd line or 2nd PP unit, you gotta keep Mikko with MacK and eventually he'll break out. He's not gonna break out playing with less offensive players.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
This team only plays motivated when they either have their backs against the wall or have something to prove. But that's not much of a plan in a game full of ebs and flows, teams know that keeping up that level of effort and aggression for a full game simply isn't going to happen. They know that the avs are more focused on making a statement off the puck drop than actually playing a full 60 minute game. They just have to weather it and they know that this team is going to lose focus and run out of steam as the game goes on which will open up plenty of opportunities against our unorganized team that relies on simply trying to overpower the opposition. Whose fault is this? Obviously the coaching, like other posters have said it's concerning how Bednar never takes any accountability for when things go wrong. It's like he thinks he's above it all and it's mainly other people's problem despite being the head coach of this team like they're the ones not matching his standards. People who lack the ability to self-reflect are hard to work with and not made for long term relationships.

Now some thoughts about the game itself.
- Another game where Zadorov is engaged, and he looked awesome. He was juking guys left and right handling the puck and completely shut down offense on his side including preventing an easy goal on a wide open net by preventing his guy from even moving a finger for a good 5 seconds. Don't really get why people would want to keep Girard over him, they complain about his inconsistency yet he has played well down the stretch in the last 2 regular seasons when we needed it most to squeeze into the playoffs where he also played awesome in every game. I was listening to the Dallas announcers and they were saying how glad they are that Girard is on the ice because whenever he's on Dallas seemed to be able to get something going on offense. Face it, Zadorov on top of his game is way better and more valuable than Girard. Plenty of small defensemen who can skate while also being easy to play against.

- Burakovsky played a simpler game, not sure if it's better for him that way. At least he's still contributing by consistently winning board battles and keeping possession for the team.

- Is Kadri even useful outside of those plays where he receives a counter attack pass and uses his decent shot to maybe score. He can't win board battles despite his aggresiveness he's not very strong. He has no playmaking ability and kills so many plays in the offensive zone and he can't play defense. He needs to be removed from the top two lines and put with like calvert where he can just go 1v1 against people. Putting Kam in his place would be an upgrade although I don't know how he'd hold up over longer stretches, but it's not like Kadri hasn't had long stretches of shit play either and at least you'd get some playing making ability and defense.

- Nichuskin was top notch, his stickhandling has gotten so much better over the course of the season and his shot looks more powerful. The acceleration he has when he make his "move" is out of this world, you're not supposed to be able to do that unless you're somebody like McDavid.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs have been winning games this year based on talent where they blow teams out, but they cant win close, tight games, where they have to grind out a win and play defense until the end.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
- Another game where Zadorov is engaged, and he looked awesome. He was juking guys left and right handling the puck and completely shut down offense on his side including preventing an easy goal on a wide open net by preventing his guy from even moving a finger for a good 5 seconds. Don't really get why people would want to keep Girard over him, they complain about his inconsistency yet he has played well down the stretch in the last 2 regular seasons when we needed it most to squeeze into the playoffs where he also played awesome in every game. I was listening to the Dallas announcers and they were saying how glad they are that Girard is on the ice because whenever he's on Dallas seemed to be able to get something going on offense. Face it, Zadorov on top of his game is way better and more valuable than Girard. Plenty of small defensemen who can skate while also being easy to play against.
I love Zadorov as much as anyone, but we have to be realistic here: his career arc is that of a defensemen that gives you 5-6 really, really good games followed by about 15-20 average to below-average games.

There isn't even a choice to be made when it comes to Girard vs Zadorov. It's Girard all day, every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad