GDT: Stares vs Aves(yes I'm bringing it back) 7PM MST

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Part of the struggles have to do with Rantanen's inability to handle the puck at all this season.
Bingo. Zero poise, zero feints, poor handles, poor board play, refuses to move his feet and zero creativity. Watch the Oilers PP and watch Leon. Thats how Rantanen should be playing on the PP but he cant this season. Maybe next yr he gets his ass to camp on time.

Reactions: Forceberg

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
You guys see how the stars work it east west on the power play? the avs used to do that with Nate & Rantanen, but now, everything runs through Nate, it’s a forced shot to Nate, or a missed pass by Nate. I’m not saying the PP issues are on Mackinnon, quite the opposite actually. We have evolved to the Ovie school of powerplays, but with how many weapons we have, everyone has to be a threat, not just one guy standing at the circle. That’s a coaching issue. Can you image if the avs had a top 15 pp & PK. How do we not?
I think other teams figured out how the Avs PP works last year was better because we also had Barrie’s slapper and wrister now we only have Mack and Makar wrister when he’s feeling it. Stars PP isn’t as predictable as ours Landy and Kadri are basically stationary waiting for the rebound that never comes.

Reactions: Newusername

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah that’s true, he hasn’t looked himself since he went down, same for Landy. Hope the all star break, gives our all stars some much needed rnr!
The only guy who really needs RnR is going to the All-Star game. Mackinnon has carried this team all season. He doesnt have a wing man either. Connor has Leon but Mackinnon is doing it himself this season.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I really wish the Avs gave me something to be excited about. These past 20 or so games have just been such a huge disappointment. Think the Avs need to somehow luck into a Roy 2.0 trade. A proven winner who still has plenty of gas left in the tank who gets sick of losing demands a move.

Reactions: avspatti

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Bingo. Zero poise, zero feints, poor handles, poor board play, refuses to move his feet and zero creativity. Watch the Oilers PP and watch Leon. Thats how Rantanen should be playing on the PP but he cant this season. Maybe next yr he gets his ass to camp on time.
Might be the fat new paycheques grinding him to a halt.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Avs just can't seem to get their timing right. This team has gone from absolutely stellar center depth, with mediocre D and a fantastic goaltending to pretty good forward depth (+ a superstar), potentially great D, and questionable goaltending.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If... If... If....

They can’t close games out and it’s a huge problem.
No doubt it's a problem. Can't lose games where you have 3rd period leads. It's inexcusable. Not sure why it's so difficult for the team right now. Just not executing. Not sure how you change this flow, but it really can't happen any more this season. Is it coaching, players getting nervous, bad goaltending? Who knows but they've got to right the ship.

But let's not act like we didn't play well tonight, most night that's a 5-2 easy win and we aren't even having this discussion. Got to tip the hat to Bishop, he was the best player on the ice and he got lucky when he needed it. Not to mention the absolutely attrocious officiating. 3-4 missed high sticks, two pretty blatant trips, and a f***ed up face off in OT to secure the win for Dallas. Tough to win when you are playing against two teams, your opponent and the refs.

Reactions: ibengals

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Exact same thing happened last year.
Maybe this team is just going to be a wild card team for the forseeable future. I wouldnt be shocked at all if they arent in the playoffs by the All-Star break. The Central is alot better than it was last yr and we all know the Avs got very lucky because of that when they went on that insanely long stretch of winless hockey. Kinda like the one they are on now. They got away with it last season they wont this season. I swear if they miss the playoffs this yr....

Reactions: Balthazar

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This team needs a goal at the right time and a save at the right time. Thats it.
Yeah but it's the same thing every year with this team. Remember when they couldnt win in OT last year? Its happening again and again its players missing assignments not just goalies sucking, and showing lack of system. They again throwing away valuable points. They might break out of it again late in the season, but if they go into the playoffs not having home ice, they're not going far again.

Edit: Eventually when things aren't working, and it's the same every year, coaching change is easier to do than find a new #1 goalie or Hall or Panarin

Reactions: klozge

avspatti

Dec 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
You can only coddle for so long. I get it, it's his shtick. I just don't like it. I'd like to see him call a spade a spade for once.

If Grubs plays anywhere near a NHL starting goalie level, we win that game 2-1 in regulation. Or at worst we don't lose on that OT shot.
Whatever happened to Allaire - the goalie coach?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
MacKinnon should be ashamed for getting walked that easily by Lundell. That isn't Kane, Crosby, McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, or others, that's effin' Lundell. Avs played fanastic after that, don't think anybody looked bad, but Bishop along with the goal post was the best player on the ice.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
6 wins in 17 games.

Disgusting. I hope this team is outside of the playoffs come All Star break. Maybe it'll be the ****ing message they need. Figure it the **** out and learn how to close out a damn regular season game.

You expect to do anything in the playoffs but can't even close out regular ****ing season games?

Reactions: The Kingslayer

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
The Avs had numerous good chances to ice this game in the 3rd period, but as usual couldn't score when victory was in their grasp. Which then led to their all-too-familiar late game mental collapse and pathetic OT performance for the loss. This script really seems to be in this team's DNA, because we saw this garbage last year as well. And the year before. I like Coach Bednar, but to salvage this season I really think it's time for a coaching change. This team needs to be pulled out of this comfortably numb mindset that is dragging them down to mediocrity.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah but it's the same thing every year with this team. Remember when they couldnt win in OT last year? Its happening again and again its players missing assignments not just goalies sucking, and showing lack of system. They again throwing away valuable points. They might break out of it again late in the season, but if they go into the playoffs not having home ice, they're not going far again.
They cant do what they did last season. The West is better than what it was last season especially the Pacific. The Avs continue this way they wont be in the playoffs. They need to stop this shit thursday going forward. They played well tonight and deserved better but NOT getting that third goal and NOT getting that save is what ultimately did them in again. If the Avs score to make it 3-1 I can almost guarantee they win tonight. Another line has to score. Mack had 2 points tonight and is carrying this team. Someone else has to step up offensively. ...be nice if the highest paid player on the roster would do something but hes to busy counting his money. Money that he owes Mackinnon.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This team needs a goal at the right time and a save at the right time. Thats it.
Quoted for truth, they haven't played bad hockey at all lately, but some leaky goals and missed defensive coverage has just killed us. I think we're only two points on the Jets who are in the last wildcard. Sakic was wanting home ice for the playoffs, I am hoping we even make the postseason at this point lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad