GDT: Star Wars Homage Night. Columbus Blue Jackets at New Jeresy Devils. 7pm MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Didn't watch the game, am I right to say zajac and Greene sucked and cory let in a softy or 2 and was just borderline average?
The PP also sucked as well as the coaching so fair to say it was business as usual.
I sure as **** haven't read this whole thread, but I see tons of *****ing about Boyle and Hayes on the powerplay, when both guys were fine. I don't see any *****ing about Vatanen and Butcher, who are supposed to be quarterbacking the powerplay and establishing possession. Those guys ****ing stunk and were the biggest reason the powerplay looked so bad. We got nothing out of the top line, nothing out of Vatanen, and watching Werenski score on us while Zacha watched in a suit was a goddamn kick in the teeth.

Did anyone see Bratt's kick pass? That was sick.
The PP is a goddam mess. Boyle has been fine and I’m not deserving of a lot of the criticism he’s getting, but Zacha needs to be back in and Zajac and Hayes should not be on the PP. Hayes has not been so awful lately, but he still makes terrible plays quite often and shouldn’t be playing at all.
The coaching is also terrible. We thrived as a fast, skilled team. So what does Hynes do? Make us slow and unskilled by playing Zajac, Hayes, etc. there is absolutely no excuse for not playing Zacha at this point.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The only line of thinking I can somewhat understand with Hayes on the PP is that they want a right handed forward who has a halfway decent shot, and with his size he can create some traffic in front. But it's pretty obvious it doesn't work.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Just have to get two points tonight. If that happens, this week is a definite success. So, get it done.

Camille the Eel

They raised their level of physical play in the second period and we didn't deal with it, playing a hard physical trap with big guys in the neutral zone. They turned the puck over on us continuously in the neutral zone and counter attacked. On the penalty kill they did the same - two big guys pressuring Butcher, so all he could do was get rid of the puck and not turn it over. They'd obviously studied our power play and how Butcher enters the zone, adjusted, and shut us down.

In the second period they scored off of three counter attack rushes to take the lead. After we turned the puck over under pressure. Pressure on Santini yielded a break away by them that turned the game's momentum on their goal # 1.

They are a good team. A very very good team. Smart and able to adjust. So this is a lesson for us. We did not play a bad game, but weren't able to handle them, once they turned the table on us.

Plus not Corey's greatest game. He's precisely vulnerable off the rush on shots from the high slot. Look at the last ten goals he's given up, about seven of them fit that description.

Reactions: MachoDiablo

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The issue is not both on the power play neccesarily, the issue is both ON THE SAME PP LINE. I get Hayes as the 'big body screener' in theory but why do you need that when Boyle's already on the ice? That's just sacrificing too much skill on open ice.

And if you think they were fine on the PP you didn't watch the joke of a four-minute double-minor in the third period. Having them together at even strength is one thing if you can put them up against lines where they can play a slow-tempo game, but not when you need skill and quick passing on open ice.

Yeah, I saw that powerplay. Did we gain the zone with good control more than once in 4 minutes? That's not Boyle or Hayes's job. The reason those two were out there together is that everyone else was playing like garbage. Hayes played a good game. People need to deal with that.

Also, (not directed at you) I'm really sick of the Zajac bitching. Yeah, he had a shit game last night, and I was pissed off too when he didn't clear that puck and it led to that goal. Why is everyone going to bat for Pavel Zacha, who's had a full camp and 21 games to do something, but Zajac is 11 games back from a serious injury and people can't get off his back. He's not the reason we lost last night. The reason we lost are Greene, Vatanen, Santini, Moore, Butcher, and even Severson. The defense was a f***ing wreck, and I don't know what the answer is, but we don't have it yet. How far away is Mueller? 1-2 months? We better hope he's good when he gets back and a couple of our other guys find their game, because what we saw last night out of them was just not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad