Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Yeah that Klingon hail is going to age pretty poorly when this whole trap beat/modern hip hop becomes outdated by mid-late decade.

It was a cute gimmick episode and Celia Rose Gooding, Christina Chong, and Jess Bush are all very good singers (I didn't say songwriters lol) but once again the show is called Strange New Worlds which would put an emphasis on exploring and the original series. There is nothing strange and there are no worlds this season. And there's especially nothing new: it's all retcon, fan service, and especially a soap opera of the love lives of Pike, Spock, Chapel, and now La'al/Jim Carey......I mean Kirk.

Reactions: johnjm22

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
the ST fan boys on youtube are bending over backwards to "love" this episode--losing respect for a few of them on how far they are going to see this as a great episode

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
the ST fan boys on youtube are bending over backwards to "love" this episode--losing respect for a few of them on how far they are going to see this as a great episode
Are there ST fan boy channels these days? The only ones I see are ST hate channels.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Wasn’t a fan of the musical episode personally. It’ll likely get a skip on rewatches. Not upset about it either though, since there are a lot of Trek episodes that get skips on rewatch

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
IMG_0069.jpeg

I like SNW a lot. The musical episode is probably the only episode I didn’t enjoy on some level. But this is hilarious and true.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A lot of shows do musical episodes.

I always think they're a bit of a bone to throw to the cast who may or may not have musical training.

They are never meant to be taken seriously so in the face of all the doom and gloom prognosticators, I just roll my eyes and move on.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
In a 10 episode season, i think it is just dumb to waste one of them on a musical. But i don't really like musicals to begin with.

This season has not been as good as the 1st season though. Maybe i am the only one, but the drop in quality is quite noticable for me.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A lot of shows do musical episodes.

I always think they're a bit of a bone to throw to the cast who may or may not have musical training.

They are never meant to be taken seriously so in the face of all the doom and gloom prognosticators, I just roll my eyes and move on.
A lot of shows have gratuitous violence, swearing and nudity, but that isn't an excuse for Star Trek to add them. Star Trek isn't like a lot of shows. I don't know about everyone else, but that's why I became a fan in the first place and it's disappointing to see its standards lowered to what other shows are doing and its influences now being Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Rick & Morty.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Anyone remember when Buffy did a musical episode?
Buffy seems to be one of SNW's main influences. Similar writing style.

Of course Buffy was about high schoolers.

It's odd really. They make a retro show trying to appeal to older Star Trek fans that watched TOS growing up, but they write it in the style of a teen show.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's odd really. They make a retro show trying to appeal to older Star Trek fans that watched TOS growing up, but they write it in the style of a teen show.
Dave Cullen made a video the other day in which he made that point, that it superficially resembles classic Trek, but is written very differently.

Reactions: Guardian17

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Dave Cullen made a video the other day in which he made that point, that it superficially resembles classic Trek, but is written very differently.

I swear I never saw this video before making that post. Haha.

He's articulating a point that I've been trying to make about this show for awhile; SNW is based on the non-Trek-fan pop culture idea of what Star Trek is.

And from that perspective, Star Trek is a very silly thing. Why not write your characters as if they're high schoolers? Why not have elements of your show that make no sense with canon? Who cares since none of it matters anyways. It's just Star Trek.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I agree it worked. ST attempt did not

SCOTTY and whomever wrote this episode is a fan of Aliens!

there has to be a war in the writers room. Talk about an unbalanced season
TNG was a non-stop "Guess what plot trope this episode is" fiesta. Same with VOY, same with TOS. Little less with ENT and DS9.

Give me a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad