Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I find the show very difficult to watch.

It's Star Trek, once again, looking backwards instead of forwards.

It's a delivery vehicle for nostalgia; a means of giving you familiar names like Kirk and Spock. That's all the show has to offer really.

The "optimism" it portrays is fake. It's a deeply cynical show.
I agree about the 'looking backwards' part. One prequel is fine, but since 2009 all they've been selling are prequels. Except for Picard, which at least attempted to push the franchise forward.

I hope someone out there has the vision to create Trek's next generation. And I hope there's still a market that will allow the vision to be made. Have we really become so lazy and so attention deficient that we'll only watch cheap rehashes? I hope not.

But I disagree about SNW being a cynical show. If anything, it's overly cute and needs to take itself more seriously.

Reactions: Osprey and Blender

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
But I disagree about SNW being a cynical show. If anything, it's overly cute and needs to take itself more seriously.
Too often it's trying to be cutesy, I agree with that. It's one of the reasons I find it difficult to watch.

The show is cynical in its conception. Making something so derivative, and so reliant on nostalgia is a cynical approach. It's the lowest hanging fruit. A cheap angle to take and disrespectful to the audience.

The "optimism" you see is a façade. It's totally reactionary.

Nostalgia itself can be a form of cynicism. A reverence for the past over the future. It's almost the antithesis of the franchise.

Reactions: Osprey

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I wonder if all the actors were on board with the crossover episode. It was interesting. Uneven to a point and I think they could have had more fun on certain things.

They now have a music episode coming up

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Too often it's trying to be cutesy, I agree with that. It's one of the reasons I find it difficult to watch.

The show is cynical in its conception. Making something so derivative, and so reliant on nostalgia is a cynical approach. It's the lowest hanging fruit. A cheap angle to take and disrespectful to the audience.

The "optimism" you see is a façade. It's totally reactionary.

Nostalgia itself can be a form of cynicism. A reverence for the past over the future. It's almost the antithesis of the franchise.
Okay, yes... I get your point now. SNW has given me hope with a few quality episodes, but I'm worried it's tilting more towards the kind of cheap fan fantasy you're suggesting. Does the creative team have the vision and approved budget for deeper, smarter stories? Or are they more interested in turning Spock into The Bachelor?

But there's an even bigger question: Has this astounding franchise finally run its course? Will viewers watch new characters doing new things because they're under the banner of Star Trek? I don't know. It's possible the magic of Star Trek is like The Beatles – tied to an era and just as hard to bring back to life.

We might have to digest the possibility that, like The Beatles, Star Trek only lives on in endless tribute bands.

Reactions: johnjm22

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Okay, yes... I get your point now. SNW has given me hope with a few quality episodes, but I'm worried it's tilting more towards the kind of cheap fan fantasy you're suggesting. Does the creative team have the vision and approved budget for deeper, smarter stories? Or are they more interested in turning Spock into The Bachelor?

But there's an even bigger question: Has this astounding franchise finally run its course? Will viewers watch new characters doing new things because they're under the banner of Star Trek? I don't know. It's possible the magic of Star Trek is like The Beatles – tied to an era and just as hard to bring back to life.

We might have to digest the possibility that, like The Beatles, Star Trek only lives on in endless tribute bands.
too much fan service is going on with SNW and the preview of Lower Decks looks like they are doing the samething

Reactions: Lshap and johnjm22

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

I think you raise a legitimate question about whether or not Star Trek has run it's course. There's been so much of this franchise made already; movies, TV shows, cartoons, books, comics, parodies etc.

It seems difficult to even come up with an idea for an episode that the franchise hasn't already previously touched on.

But I'd like to think talented writers can simply write good stories.

Franchises burnout if they don't do something new, but if you change them too much than it's no longer faithful to itself. Star Trek has to find that balance between doing something new and exciting while still staying faithful to its canon and ethos.

Reactions: Lshap

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I just got caught up on this show, watching both Seasons in the last couple of weeks.

Honestly, the show it reminds me of the most is the Orville, in a sort of art imitating art imitating life imitating art vibe.

I’m pleased that they only went with a couple of canon characters and I hope they minimize their use in the future.

There’s fan service, sure, but not on the level of the Picard finale (which was like an endless font of nostalgia).

I’m glad they are taking some risks because I think they have to in order to avoid yet another carbon copy Trek.

Am I entertained? Certainly. Are there more thought provoking episodes than Discovery? Yes.

Most shows seem to hit their stride with Season 3 so I’m optimistic.

I liked Carole King in “Scrooged” as the fairy ghost of Christmas Present but I find she’s miscast here compared with Hemmer who I enjoyed.

She’s kind of a “hippy” Guinan and it’s hard to take her seriously as the Chief Engineer of Starfleet’s flagship.

They need to have her do something serious and life-threatening to give her more gravitas.

Aside from her, I think all the roles have been ably cast.

When it comes to timelines and connections to TOS and other properties, I generally just subscribe to the Austin Powers recommendation:

EDIT: LOL, Carole Kane.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I liked Carole King in “Scrooged” as the fairy ghost of Christmas Present but I find she’s miscast here compared with Hemmer who I enjoyed.

She’s kind of a “hippy” Guinan and it’s hard to take her seriously as the Chief Engineer of Starfleet’s flagship.
Typo of the week. Insert your favourite song pun – Carole having the Federation and Romulan Empire hold hands and sing "You've Got a Friend"; Spock staring wistfully out his window, strumming "So Far Away" on his harp as he thinks of T'Pring; "You Make Me Feel LIke a Natural Klingon"...

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not a fan of Lower Decks the episode worked pretty well overall. It was a but too heavy on the fan service and nostalgia content, but the plot was solid and the acting was all good.

Under the Cloak of War was pretty good as well. M'Benga is being made a bit too much of a super soldier type character so far, but the actor is killing it in the role. The PTSD and emotional depth from the characters involved in the war was well done overall. Robert Wisdom was solid as a jovial Klingon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad