Online Series: Star Trek Strange New Worlds Season 2 (LOWER DECK CROSSOVER ALERT)

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
TOS I agree. TNG after year 3 a disagree with. Voyager settled down.

This season was just all over the place
Until season 4-5 of DS9 (But even then......) ST had largely been (90%+) episodic. After DS9, VOY continued the trend of being an episodic series.

Every season was a magic 8 ball roll of A and B plot tropes. One episode might have a morality plot, while the next episode may contain a light hearted holodeck episode full of shenanigans. The franchise never really became serialized until DISC, the closest we ever came until then were the later seasons of DS9; but I would argue DS9 was a semi-serialized series, as opposed to a fully fledged one.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I haven't watched this season yet, but it looks like the light crossover episode was followed by a really dark episode, which was followed by the musical episode, which was followed by the finale (which I assume is serious and intense). Classic Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, etc.) had dark and light episodes, too, but spread them out over 23-episode seasons. When seasons are only 10 episodes, alternating from one extreme to the other can feel more like inconsistency.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Of course TNG relied on certain plot devices every season (Worf family episode, Lwaxxana comes aboard, Holodeck, Admiral Nechayev gonna bust some skulls, etc.) they had like 22-27 episodes per season and the show literally has been off the air for 29 years so tv was written differently.

They also you know, actually went to new worlds and did what Starfleet is supposed to do more often than not unlike SNW.

TNG also didn't bring in a legacy character every week which is what SNW can't help themselves from doing.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I thought season 1 of SNW was better than season 2 overall. Still the best thing Star Trek has done since Enterprise went off the air.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
so we are 7 years away from

1691952980262.png

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not if SNW do what I want them to do and make SNW is own timeline. I hate the idea of SNW being TOS prequel series. It's stupid and it's handcuffs Strange New Worlds. There is no need for SNW to be TOS prequel series.
one theory is that we are in a FOURTH or FIFTH Time line.

TOS/Next Gen/DS9/Voyager
THe new movies
SNW
Discovery
Enterprise

all being in their own time lines

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Not if SNW do what I want them to do and make SNW is own timeline. I hate the idea of SNW being TOS prequel series. It's stupid and it's handcuffs Strange New Worlds. There is no need for SNW to be TOS prequel series.
Writers have stated they don't care. They retcon everything anyway.

TOS/Next Gen/DS9/Voyager
THe new movies
SNW
Discovery
Enterprise

I don't agree with it but there's also those famous fan conversations pre or internet infancy days that the TOS movies are in a different timeline from TOS or that anything after Picard went into the Nexus was just a fantasy in his mind.......that one seems to be the one Terry Matalas agrees with though :)

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie

TOS/Next Gen/DS9/Voyager
THe new movies
SNW
Discovery
Enterprise

Since "Enterprise" the show is the beginning, they are naturally going to be in any of the timelines. To me there is only three time lines: SNW/Discovery (remember SNW spun off from Discovery, so there are connected), Kelvin, aka the Movies, and TOS timelines.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think everyone will be happier if they just accept that Trek series' will clearly and happily integrate fan service but not slavishly pore over every single detail of every statement or action to ensure that it lines up perfectly with the thousands of hours of television and film that was already aired.

659574.jpg

665280.jpg

670419.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think everyone will be happier if they just accept that Trek series' will clearly and happily integrate fan service but not slavishly pore over every single detail of every statement or action to ensure that it lines up perfectly with the thousands of hours of television and film that was already aired.
I think that everyone will be happier if the owners of Trek return to Roddenberry's vision and create new, serious science fiction that doesn't rely on fan service and gags and doesn't take place during pre-existing time periods, thus making it harder to line up with 50 years of content. It's their fault that we're in this situation, not ours.

If everyone adopts an "accept what you're given, no matter its quality, and be happy with it" attitude when it comes to anything (shows, movies, games, etc.), quality will keep going down and, eventually, no one no may be happy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think that everyone will be happier if the owners of Trek return to Roddenberry's vision and create new, serious science fiction that doesn't rely on fan service and gags and doesn't take place during pre-existing time periods, thus making it harder to line up with 50 years of content. It's their fault that we're in this situation, not ours.

If everyone adopts an "accept what you're given, no matter its quality, and be happy with it" attitude when it comes to anything (shows, movies, games, etc.), quality will keep going down and, eventually, no one no may be happy.

1692217781759.jpeg

Reactions: Fripp

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That episode is often named in the top 10 episodes of TOS and is 27th on IMDb. It's considered one of the better episodes of TOS.

Regardless, do you not wish for Star Trek to be as entertaining and thoughtful as it was in the past? Are you actually happy with where it's at compared to, say, the 90s?

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That episode is often named in the top 10 episodes of TOS and is 27th on IMDb. It's considered one of the better episodes of TOS.

Regardless, do you not wish for Star Trek to be as entertaining and thoughtful as it was in the past? Are you actually happy with where it's at compared to, say, the 90s?

I think there's a degree of selection bias whereby people tend to remember the positive episodes and conveniently forget the cringeworthy ones when they look back at previous iterations.

Most TV shows hit their stride at the 3rd season onwards, and here we are two seasons in. The first season of TNG was laughable aside from a few episodes. I think ST : DS9 is perhaps the most compelling character study of all of the shows but it took a long time to get the formula right.

Overall, there were a few duds but I was generally entertained by the season and there were two to four legitimately thoughtful episodes which isn't bad at all.

In an ideal world, they would be focused on an entirely new part of the ST universe with completely original characters. But Discovery was a failure IMO and so we're left with this.

Rather than get bogged down by wishful thinking, I'm going to try to enjoy the positive aspects of this show, which includes a few compelling new characters and some interesting re-characterizations of individuals like Chapel.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think there's a degree of selection bias whereby people tend to remember the positive episodes and conveniently forget the cringeworthy ones when they look back at previous iterations.

Most TV shows hit their stride at the 3rd season onwards, and here we are two seasons in. The first season of TNG was laughable aside from a few episodes. I think ST : DS9 is perhaps the most compelling character study of all of the shows but it took a long time to get the formula right.

Overall, there were a few duds but I was generally entertained by the season and there were two to four legitimately thoughtful episodes which isn't bad at all.

In an ideal world, they would be focused on an entirely new part of the ST universe with completely original characters. But Discovery was a failure IMO and so we're left with this.

Rather than get bogged down by wishful thinking, I'm going to try to enjoy the positive aspects of this show, which includes a few compelling new characters and some interesting re-characterizations of individuals like Chapel.
I think that there's also wishful thinking and selection bias in hoping that a show gets better in the 3rd season. We remember the shows that got better in the 3rd season and not the shows that got worse (or were cancelled before they could make it that far). You point to TNG as one that got better, but I can point to TOS, whose 3rd season was its worst. A couple of other posters here also pointed to TNG during Discovery's first couple of seasons, but its 3rd season was not really any better and its 4th season was its worst. Westworld and The Witcher are two other recent examples.

I can respect trying to enjoy what you're given, though.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think that there's also wishful thinking and selection bias in hoping that a show gets better in the 3rd season. We remember the shows that got better in the 3rd season and not the shows that got worse (or were cancelled before they could make it that far). You point to TNG as one that got better, but I can point to TOS, whose 3rd season was its worst. A couple of other posters here also pointed to TNG during Discovery's first couple of seasons, but its 3rd season was not really any better and its 4th season was its worst. Westworld and The Witcher are two other recent examples.

I can respect trying to enjoy what you're given, though.

TOS is a weird anomaly being the first and having its story continue in animated form for two years (the fourth year of their five year mission), and then the movies which take place two and a half years after they get home, and from there thirteen years later (to catch up real time with the storyline).

Fan service is fine in small doses but overused. The internet has really oversaturated it and there's some unwritten rule that everything needs fan service, which actually makes it a disservice.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
With TNG the first two years felt like TOS lite and with DS9 the first two years felt like TNG lite. They figured things out by the time the third seasons came along.

Not sure how SNW will do next season (whenever that comes). Thought this year was more miss than hit as opposed to season one. I'll still watch as I enjoyed a fair bit of the show. I enjoy that they are mixing in some lighter stories in with the darker stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad