Star Trek Picard Movie In The Works?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's a terrible idea.

Picard season 3 was okay. Probably the best thing made in the ST streaming era (which isn't saying much), but this franchise needs to move on to something new.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Don't need this. Please don't. You left it find after season 3. You managed to close out a series perfectly...TWICE.

STOP WITH THE MOVIES.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The addict in me wants to know how soon and where. It's Trek in the theatre, for godsake! What's the matter with you people??

On the other hand, what are the chances we get a thought-provoking script that doesn't default to another ending with phaser blasts and big booms? I want to see Picard the elder diplomat, the moral compass, the master strategist. Don't want Picard running around shooting people.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
From the article, it sounds like it might just be a direct-to-streaming movie that uses him to help get a new series off of the ground.
It is possible that Stewart could be talking about a Star Trek streaming TV movie like the Section 31 film starring Michelle Yeoh which goes into production later this month. Last year it was reported that Paramount+ was looking for Section 31 to be the first of a series of streaming Star Trek movies for Paramount+. It’s possible a streaming movie could be a vehicle to carry on the story of Star Trek: Picard, potentially working as a backdoor pilot for the often-discussed (but not in development) Star Trek: Legacy series envisioned by Picard showrunner Terry Matalas. However, the series finale of Picard ended by putting the focus on... a crew of mostly new characters from season 3 of Picard. While Stewart could appear in “Legacy,” it does not appear Jean-Luc Picard would be the focal character.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
S31 was used efficiently in DS9, in that it was always in the background far away from the actual events they were influencing. They never came into the light until they were baited, and even then it was just Sloan who bit.

In Nu-Trek, S31 is everywhere and everyone knows about them.

Also, please let the TNG cast just ride off into the sunset. Enough is enough. S3 of Picard was shameless, shameless, shameless nostalgia fanservice dialed to 9000.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
S31 was used efficiently in DS9, in that it was always in the background far away from the actual events they were influencing. They never came into the light until they were baited, and even then it was just Sloan who bit.

In Nu-Trek, S31 is everywhere and everyone knows about them.

Also, please let the TNG cast just ride off into the sunset. Enough is enough. S3 of Picard was shameless, shameless, shameless nostalgia fanservice dialed to 9000.

Well now, Geordi still has to rebuild the Enterprise-E! :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Baby Punisher

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't need this. Please don't. You left it find after season 3. You managed to close out a series perfectly...TWICE.

STOP WITH THE MOVIES.
As much as I enjoyed TNG and Patrick Stewart, he's aged past the point where I want to see him in command of a ship. One of the key things that made his character great was the voice, the speeches and command of the ship. He no longer has that.

Reactions: Seedtype

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As much as I enjoyed TNG and Patrick Stewart, he's aged past the point where I want to see him in command of a ship. One of the key things that made his character great was the voice, the speeches and command of the ship. He no longer has that.
I mentioned the exact thing in last year's Picard thread. Patrick Stewart's voice has always been his main power as an actor. So much of his characters' authority is transmitted through his speech, which is why he can be as commanding in a wheelchair as he is on a starship.

Sadly, Stewart's voice has lost a lot of its strength and resonance, and with it, that amazing air of authority. Hate to say it, but you're probably right... Jean-Luc Picard doesn't work with a shaky weakened voice.

Interestingly, William Shatner is a decade older than Stewart, yet his voice is still robust, if darker.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mentioned the exact thing in last year's Picard thread. Patrick Stewart's voice has always been his main power as an actor. So much of his characters' authority is transmitted through his speech, which is why he can be as commanding in a wheelchair as he is on a starship.

Sadly, Stewart's voice has lost a lot of its strength and resonance, and with it, that amazing air of authority. Hate to say it, but you're probably right... Jean-Luc Picard doesn't work with a shaky weakened voice.

Interestingly, William Shatner is a decade older than Stewart, yet his voice is still robust, if darker.
Each person is different.

I think of voice actors like Conroy for Batman, RIP, but he did still sound like he could do that voice in his 60's. Cullen for Optimus Prime is in his 80's. Can't be a younger version of Optimus, would need alterations to his voice to make it sound younger. Fine for a seasoned Optimus. I actually like Welker's Megatron voice for the Prime series better than the original voice of G1. More scary sounding.

But, Stewart can't be Picard and be the star of the show/movie. What made him special isn't there anymore.

Reactions: Seedtype and Lshap

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I will agree with most here that Patrick Stewart and Captain Picard have had a good run but it is time to put that one to rest.

If you want to make a Star Trek with imposing voices (if it's that important), they should hire Sam Elliott, Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken, Liam Neeson and Samuel L Jackson and let 'er rip. Throw in Fran Drescher as a Vulcan. (kidding)

I heard that Paramount had asked Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth to do a ST sequel but they both asked for a ridiculous amount of money so Paramount figured they weren't serious and canned that particular project. Might be awhile until we see a new ST film. Paramount is investing more in its streaming services (current priority that might change soon enough, Paramount+ is probably the first streaming service in line that will bite the dust).

Last edited:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

We need AI Picard to voice his new Android body.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Well now, Geordi still has to rebuild the Enterprise-E! :sarcasm:
Part of the reason I hated everything after episode five of Season 3 Picard was how lazy and insignificant they made the entire movie era of TNG. It's basically like "the Enterprise-E, oh silly Worf, you got it blown up hahaa". No mention or implication of Worf's tenure as Captain, nothing with Geordi's career post Romulan Relocation.

Toybox Terry didn't care, and wiped it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'd rather see a 4th Kelivnverse movie.
Only if they do something cool like bring in a young Ilia and Decker.

Honestly, having an Enterprise-A so early into that crew's career misses the entire point of Star Trek. The writers really didn't get a thing about the series or what made the destruction of the original Enterprise so meanigful.

Also Star Trek: Beyond Burger had no substance. They literally defeated Idris Elba cosplaying as Baraka from Mortal Kombat using the Beastie Boys.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Back to the main point, what else can you really do with Picard or the TNG crew now? They've already deconstructed the character at least four times since the movies and gave him and the crew many send offs.

I still think Terry Matalas went too wild with the fan service and the writing became satire once they got past episode five of season three, which was probably the closest to classic TNG they've done in decades.

Fight the Borg again? Are they going to have more nonsense with Q, again? Humiliate Picard again?

Nu Trek has a lot more misses than hits.

Even if they were to revisit the TNG Season One Conspiracy episode which is probably the easiest sequel to write, it's too close in plot to the Changelings from Season 3 of Picard.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Also Star Trek: Beyond Burger had no substance. They literally defeated Idris Elba cosplaying as Baraka from Mortal Kombat using the Beastie Boys.
I actually didn't hate it. It's the best Star Trek film since The Undiscovered Country.

Is it what I want Star Trek to be? No.

But I kind of enjoyed the first third or so of the movie. I liked hanging out with these characters on the Enterprise and getting a sense of what their daily life is like on the ship. It actually felt grounded.

Plus there was lots fly-by shots of the Enterprise. And I'm a sucker for a good docking sequence. I like how whimsical everything felt as we arrive at the Yorktown Starbase.

I liked the pacing. It was such a nice change from JJ Abram's manic non-stop action directing style.

I thought it had a little bit of heart as well.

The film loses me in the second half though. Too much action. It felt obligatory. I'd rather have seen a smaller story. The film's themes feel a bit contrived.

It's still the piece of Star Trek made since Enterprise went off the air.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad