Confirmed with Link: Stanton claimed by Canucks

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm not going to be too unhappy if we lose him either, 3/4Dman is a bit far fetched imo. I see him more of a 5/6 guy, and those are a dime a dozen.

Good #5 defenders aren't a dime a dozen. 6-7 guys sure. And yes, Johns has second pairing upside. If he doesn't want to sign here that'll suck and I won't blame Stan. Saying it's no big loss and that prospects like him can be had for free every summer is just flat out wrong.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If that's the case trade his rights now.
And get a late round pick for him? It's not like he's a sought after prospect. We may as well hold on to him and hope to sign him.

Good #5 defenders aren't a dime a dozen. 6-7 guys sure. And yes, Johns has second pairing upside. If he doesn't want to sign here that'll suck and I won't blame Stan. Saying it's no big loss and that prospects like him can be had for free every summer is just flat out wrong.

Good #5's are available every year on the UFA market, and usually for a decent price, see Roszival, among many other Dmen that sign every off-season.

It wouldn't be a big loss, he has no bearing on our current team. And prospects like him are available every off-season, see all the college prospects that signed last spring/summer.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If they don't think he is going to sign with them why not trade him? A late pick is better than nothing.

Having the opportunity to sign him, is better than a late pick.

Anyways, I'm done with this speculation. There is nothing out there to suggest that Johns won't sign in Chicago, maybe we should be worried about Kevin Hayes too?

Worry about it when the time comes, anybody who currently does not have a contract with the Hawks is the least of my worries.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Re: Stephen Johns

I think Johns (and agent) realize that he is not likely to be ready for the NHL straight from college. However, it is John’s perception of the Hawk org that is important. He doesn’t fit the mold of your typical Blackhawk dman in this era. Now this is strictly speculation on my part, mind you, but if he thinks it will be 2 or more years in the minors before he gets a shot here, in his mind that may be too long to wait. And, as I said, his agent may be a big influence on any decision he makes in that regard - but Hawks may need to assure Johns and his agent that his stint in RFD will not be a long one and futile one, provided he plays well there and that he definitely fits into their plans for the future.
Food for thought: Wasn’t it Johns that was detected wearing a Blues uniform last year?

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
I think Johns (and agent) realize that he is not likely to be ready for the NHL straight from college. However, it is John’s perception of the Hawk org that is important. He doesn’t fit the mold of your typical Blackhawk dman in this era. Now this is strictly speculation on my part, mind you, but if he thinks it will be 2 or more years in the minors before he gets a shot here, in his mind that may be too long to wait. And, as I said, his agent may be a big influence on any decision he makes in that regard - but Hawks may need to assure Johns and his agent that his stint in RFD will not be a long one and futile one, provided he plays well there and that he definitely fits into their plans for the future.
Food for thought: Wasn’t it Johns that was detected wearing a Blues uniform last year?

He was wearing a Blues hat 2 summers ago.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Damn, you guys are overreacting. Stanton was solid defensively but he most definitely was not and is not going to become an NHL regular. He literally has the talent of many other #6/7 defensemen except he's part of our farm system so we overrate him.

Most definitely, he's a loss to Rockford. He's a great defenseman and I will miss his presence there. However, he's not better than Brookbank right now or Clendening/Johns/Fournier in the future so there really wasn't much room for him in the first place.

I hope he gets a chance with an NHL team because he most definitely deserves it. I wish the best for him.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011

I like the Blues and when they aren't playing the Hawks they are a team I pull for. Nice looking jersey (3rd especially), and I bet their hats are sharp too.

He needs to play a full season in the minors just to get used to the grind. How many games in a college hockey season 42 or so ? He needs to play against professionals, and then we will really see what we have. Keith did his time....Hjammer did his time and Johns will do his time and earn a spot.

I see no reason why he won't sign this summer. Then he will do his time because he has to ...and when he is ready he will be called up.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Stanton has his first NHL goal tonight, so he's 1G 3A 4P in 8G +2 with 3rd pairing mins.

Just speaks to your organization's great development, thanks for throwing us poor guys a bone.

Nothingman*

Stanton has his first NHL goal tonight, so he's 1G 3A 4P in 8G +2 with 3rd pairing mins.

Just speaks to your organization's great development, thanks for throwing us poor guys a bone.

We are all glad he is getting the chance he deserves. It is tough as a young guy to get a fair shake a lot of times with Q.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
We are all glad he is getting the chance he deserves. It is tough as a young guy to get a fair shake a lot of times with Q.

Torts speaks very highly of him. Just a situation of a player excelling in one system over another, happens all the time. We're just pleased we don't have to watch Alberts play consistently now that he's solved our #6D problem. :laugh:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

And I am pretty happy your organization gave away Hodgson to Sabres :nod:

Kid was a menace a few games back. Probably the Sabres best player

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
And I am pretty happy your organization gave away Hodgson to Sabres :nod:

Kid was a menace a few games back. Probably the Sabres best player

He's great positionally, my only nag on him is his skating and defense. He's getting the minutes he deserves there which he wasn't going to get from Vigneault for love or money.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He's great positionally, my only nag on him is his skating and defense. He's getting the minutes he deserves there which he wasn't going to get from Vigneault for love or money.

Well the trade is just brutal IMO

I don't think Kassian ends up anything more then 3rd line tweener/4th line plug

Didn't think that highly of him as a prospect

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Eh, it's hard to say. Guys with his skillset are usually heavily valued (whether deservedly or not) so I can see the thought behind it. He'll definitely have a better chance of reaching his potential under a coach like Tortorella, so at least we're making the best of it. He had a really strong game tonight, so I'm hoping Torts can keep him riding on that momentum.

He hasn't really needed to step into a full time top 6 position yet as Santorelli has been a complete surprise for us.

Sorry for derailing your thread, I always love shooting the **** with you guys. My boyfriend is a diehard Hawks fan so I'm kind of soft towards the team. :laugh:

Nothingman*

Torts speaks very highly of him. Just a situation of a player excelling in one system over another, happens all the time. We're just pleased we don't have to watch Alberts play consistently now that he's solved our #6D problem. :laugh:

Alberts....I was hoping you guys would keep him up :)

YouCantYandleThis*

It's yet to be seen.

If Kassian can pan out to even two-thirds of the player he could be, he'll be a powerhouse winger in the league.

Big IF though. Pretty much up to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad