Stanley Cup Winner/30th Over All pick unfair policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I am sure that most teams would give up their first rounders for the next 3 years to win the cup this year. Agreed, complaining about receiving the last pick(first round only) because you won the cup is childish.

degroat*

Bicycle Repairman said:
...the rest of the draft is organized in order of regular season points outside of the lottery...

That's not true. The Division winners are all at the bottom of the 1st round also.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Bicycle Repairman said:
I mean, when did this start anyway? A rather arbitrary decision if you ask me. Doesn't really address the issue of regular season parity if an underdog team wins the Cup. To me that's unfair. Powerhouse big money teams are affected only slightly.

Seems to me that if the rest of the draft is organized in order of regular season points outside of the lottery, then why should a Stanley Cup winning team be penalized when they should instead be rewarded?

Just seems patently unfair in my books.

This ain't about penalizing. The whole point of the NHL is about winning the Cup. In the current system (which I don't like because it creates perrenial losers like Dudley) I think it is fair that the Cup winner gets the last pick. Because the whole point of those picks is to develop guys to win the cup.

I still don't like the system, though. Not for the bottom teams. I think they should fight for the 1st pick instead of losing to get it.

The curent system has produced many disgrace franchises IMO.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
In my ideal world, the team that misses the playoffs by the closest margin gets the 1st overall pick...
Man, would that ever be a sweet deal for the Oilers!

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
first off, the stanley cup winner dropping to #30 applies to the 1st round and the 1st round ONLY, the same as the draft lottery. so calgary would NOT pick last in every round, just the first round...

second, any claims about how the 2005 draft would be handle if the whole nhl season is nothing more than a guess. NO ONE knows how exactly it will be handle or if the draft format will change under the new cba...so why get all worked up over a GUESS that most likely will never happen?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
In my ideal world, the team that misses the playoffs by the closest margin gets the 1st overall pick...

You and me both, buddy. No more pointless games. Every game, you fight for something, even if you miss the playoffs.

I would probably still use a lottery system, it's just that it would be weighted the other way around (highest non-playoffs team has best chance at the #1 overall pick)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
looooob said:
Flames would be a dynasty by now under those rules :banghead:
Yeah. The Oilers would have had the top pick in 2002 and this year. As much as I'm sure to like Niinimaki and whoever they pick this year, I think I'd rather have Nash/Bouwmeester/Lehtonen and Ovechkin.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
NYR469 said:
first off, the stanley cup winner dropping to #30 applies to the 1st round and the 1st round ONLY, the same as the draft lottery. so calgary would NOT pick last in every round, just the first round...

This isn't true. The Cup winner gets the last pick in every round. It happened to New Jersey last year.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Seachd said:
This isn't true. The Cup winner gets the last pick in every round. It happened to New Jersey last year.

Did it? I don't think so, unless we made a trade with out second round pick. Vrana wansn't the 60th overall.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Did it? I don't think so, unless we made a trade with out second round pick. Vrana wansn't the 60th overall.
The Devils traded the 68th pick (last in the second round) to move up to get Parise.

(My little rant: I think while Lowe had Lamoriello by the balls, he should have asked for the higher NJ 2nd, or even both of them. It was a very good deal for the Devils.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad