Stanley Cup Winner/30th Over All pick unfair policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I mean, when did this start anyway? A rather arbitrary decision if you ask me. Doesn't really address the issue of regular season parity if an underdog team wins the Cup. To me that's unfair. Powerhouse big money teams are affected only slightly.

Seems to me that if the rest of the draft is organized in order of regular season points outside of the lottery, then why should a Stanley Cup winning team be penalized when they should instead be rewarded?

Just seems patently unfair in my books.

vega007

Odds this bum is a Flames fan: Yes -1000 no +800

actually dude I agree with you, it is especially unfair if there is no season next year and the draft goes ahead twice - meaning our Flames will pick 30th two years in a row.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Geez guys - getting a little greedy aren't we ? I guess one solution to not picking at # 30 is simple - DON'T WIN THE FREAKING CUP !!!!!
:banghead: :shakehead :banghead: :shakehead

vega007

well in this case i think it's warranted. mind you my heart wasn't bleeding for detroit or nj the years they won the cup recently

we (calgary) have sucked so bad for so long now, mostly because of horrible drafting in the mid nineties (save for morris), plus add the fact that most Flames fans including myself see them struggling to make the playoffs next year, that we would really feel jobbed by getting the worst possible draft TWO years in a row, if there is no season next year.

vega007

yes but from our point of view having the draft repeat two years in a row is bs

pick 30th in every round just because we had a fluke run to the Cup? That is bs, I can see one year but not two years in a row because of the lockout

all 30 teams should have an equal shot at Crosby, I say throw all thirty teams names into a hat and set the order of every round at random

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
are you sure you'd pick 30th in every round? Or just the first?

vega007

i'm talking if the 2005 draft is set according to this years results

Prucha73

vega007 said:
i'm talking if the 2005 draft is set according to this years results

You are whining and you haven't won the cup yet At least wait until they win it.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
vega007 said:
29th overall, 30th overall, not much difference
You don't pick 29th if you lose in the finals, and it's highly doubtful that the 2005 draft would be the same order as this years. If there is no CBA, there wouldn't be a draft -- because the draft is dictacted by the current CBA -- at all unless the PA and the Owners came to a separate agreement about it.

Oh, also, please shut up and stop whining, your team two wins away from the cup, ingrate.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Voodoo said:
Oh, also, please shut up and stop whining, your team two wins away from the cup, ingrate.

:joker: Agree with this. I would gladly miss the playoffs for twenty years straight for one Stanley Cup

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
vega007 said:
we (calgary) have sucked so bad for so long now, mostly because of horrible drafting in the mid nineties (save for morris), plus add the fact that most Flames fans including myself see them struggling to make the playoffs next year, that we would really feel jobbed by getting the worst possible draft TWO years in a row, if there is no season next year.

Speak for yourself. If the Flames win the cup, the pick is the last thing anybody cares... :shakehead

vega007 said:
pick 30th in every round just because we had a fluke run to the Cup?

and this is not a fluke, we will make the playoff next year :teach:

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I'm sure the last thing the Flames orgnization cares about now is having the 30th pick.

If you guys win the Cup you won't care either, or shouldn't.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I would love to pick 30th and have it be our pick, not a pick we traded for.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
vega007 said:
yes but from our point of view having the draft repeat two years in a row is bs

pick 30th in every round just because we had a fluke run to the Cup? That is bs, I can see one year but not two years in a row because of the lockout

all 30 teams should have an equal shot at Crosby, I say throw all thirty teams names into a hat and set the order of every round at random
Then don't win the damn Cup. I'm sure TB will have no complaints about winning it.

StanleyCH25

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
To be quite honest with you guys, the difference between the 15th and 30th picks this year really isn't all that great. And as many have pointed out, many teams would willingly give away the 1st overall pick for both these two coming years just for the chance to have their team name on the Cup. Be happy that you're in the situation you're in even if it actually involves getting two picks at #30. There are 30 teams in the league which means that if things were remotely fair, you'd win the Cup once every 30 years. Some teams still haven't come close to tasting it yet and would trade down to pick #30 each and every year if it meant getting the Cup just once.

So, as much as I "feel your pain", you really should be grateful for the situation you're in.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jeee-zus . . . this has to be the stupidist post on HF, ever. I just won the cup, pity us, we pick 30th . . . life is just not fair . . . we got jobbed . . . jeeeeeeee-zus.

X-SHARKIE

No crap, This is one of, mabey the dumbest posts EVER! EVER!

:cry: I just won the cup, the trophy other teams fans dream about and warship the thought of their team winning it, :cry: Now we got a 30th overall pick! OMG!

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

I would take a 30th overall pick for the next 5 years if it Meant I could see the San Jose Sharks win the Stanley Cup.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Why do you want a better draft pick? so you can have a better team? What do you hope to do with that team? TO WIN THE CUP. That's exactly where you are now. You are in a position to win the cup. Quit complaining, cuz 29 other teams would love to pick 30th if it meant getting the cup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad