GDT: Stanley Cup playoffs

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Hey I won't tell you guys how to feel about him. All good if you like him.

I don't not like him, he's a top 6 regular season defender without question imo, just not the type of player I want on a 3rd pairing, specifically when playoffs roll around, and I don't think he ever really belongs higher in a lineup on any team looking to seriously contend. Watching this years playoffs gave me a lot of pause to think a guy like Brannstrom can be effective when it counts.

And ya, of course the sting of him being the return for Stone will never not be disappointing, but that part was mostly in jest.

yea i thought it was jest but for the board as a whole im certain Brannstrom being part of the Stone trade is why people want to let him go for pennies even though we could clearly use him.

as for playoffs, rather worry about making them first.

and no one knows how Brannstrom will do in the playoffs. 5 ft 9 Johnny Marchessault just won the Smythe.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
yea i thought it was jest but for the board as a whole im certain Brannstrom being part of the Stone trade is why people want to let him go for pennies even though we could clearly use him.

as for playoffs, rather worry about making them first.

and no one knows how Brannstrom will do in the playoffs. 5 ft 9 Johnny Marchessault just won the Smythe.
Maybe so. I think we can fill that spot with a better player. He doesn't bring offense and he's as small as players in the league get. I'm fine with him in the interim, but I see no role long term and would rather extract some value now, if that's even an option at this point.

I see the Marchessault comparison, but that's an offensive winger, not a dman that doesn't bring offense, so I think it's a much easier role to fill being small.

It is also in part due to the makeup of our top 4. None of our big four are overly big and physical, so we're going to need to insulate that from the other 2 imo.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd keep Brann until we have a legitimate upgrade that is cost controlled. He's fine for the 3rd pair right now and can most likely handle 2nd pairing minutes given his play in the top4 when Chabots out.

Besides, if Chabot gets hurt again, Sanderson's back might break from carrying. I'm just assuming Chychrun is injured on the side eating the heart of a wildbeest or something

• Haha
Reactions: Puikiou

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I never give Brannstrom as the return for Stone a second thought, I look at him as a player on this team & at the moment given how the playoffs were fought IMO is the weakest link on the defence & exactly who I would target as an opposition coach to cough up pucks. Occassionally he can skate the puck out of his own end but after that there is not much there, he's small, he's slow, he gets overpowered by stronger & bigger players, he puts himself in positions where he can get killed & he provides next to no offence.

We don't need Brannstrom to replace Chabot, we have three PMD for the left side already who are all ahead of Brannstrom, how many do they need? And we have Kleven ready to step into the 3rd pair who brings everything they need on a third pairing, reach, hard hitting, hard to play against, size & strength. We could use an upgrade on the right side like Kleven with a bigger young tough mobile defenceman & I'm hoping that eventually one of the young RD they have steps up or they find one through trade or draft.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I never give Brannstrom as the return for Stone a second thought, I look at him as a player on this team & at the moment given how the playoffs were fought IMO is the weakest link on the defence & exactly who I would target as an opposition coach to cough up pucks. Occassionally he can skate the puck out of his own end but after that there is not much there, he's small, he's slow, he gets overpowered by stronger & bigger players, he puts himself in positions where he can get killed & he provides next to no offence.

We don't need Brannstrom to replace Chabot, we have three PMD for the left side already who are all ahead of Brannstrom, how many do they need? And we have Kleven ready to step into the 3rd pair who brings everything they need on a third pairing, reach, hard hitting, hard to play against, size & strength. We could use an upgrade on the right side like Kleven with a bigger young tough mobile defenceman & I'm hoping that eventually one of the young RD they have steps up or they find one through trade or draft.
Brannstrom slow? What

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It’s going to take a

Kleven looked decent in his first 8 games in the NHL, but we’ve had plenty of d-men look great early on only to fade into onscurity. Pump the brakes a little.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It felt that way too. Didn’t see much posting here on hf for a final
Watching or playing hockey in May or June never made much sense to me, unless my team is in the playoffs. If you ask me, the season is one month too long. Same thing with baseball season.

Conspiracy theory: next year will have a Canadian team in the Stanley Cup finals to bump up TV viewership.

Reactions: aragorn

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Watching or playing hockey in May or June never made much sense to me, unless my team is in the playoffs. If you ask me, the season is one month too long. Same thing with baseball season.

Conspiracy theory: next year will have a Canadian team in the Stanley Cup finals to bump up TV viewership.

Coincidentally, I also think the season starts one month too late

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Just learned this tidbit today

In 1950, Canadian sports editors selected the Ottawa HC/Senators as Canada's greatest team in the first half of the 20th century

Reactions: aragorn

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
And that's what they get for having 8pm games..... :popcorn:

354219780_6044638262311978_5280917972485537945_n.jpeg

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I just noticed that Colin white and zac dalpe were a -4 and -5 in 6mins played in the final game.
I watched it but didn’t notice…did they get scored on every time they stepped on the ice?

Whitey was pretty bad. He started the year off well then fell off a cliff. Wonder what happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad