Stanley Cup Playoffs vs NBA Playoffs

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
No one wants to see GSW Cavs every year. Boring. We already had Pens Caps 3 and it's pretty boring. Hopefully not again next year. Rivalry is fun but it's ****ing boring to have every single year. Caps are like the Cavs. And Pens are like GSW. Year after year. Caps got their little blip like the Cavs did but not for long probably.

Nah. Pittsburgh's 2 Cups were hardly inevitable. If anything, them winning 2 straight Cups was more unpredictable than GSW winning 2 titles in 3 years which was perhaps more predictable.

Reactions: TychoFan

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I think NBA basketball can be exciting come playoff time, although the basketball that is truly the best is college basketball come March Madness. It's just that it's the same ol song and dance and the same teams over and over and over again. It's boring, predictable and stale.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
You realize that Fed and Nadal split the Aussie/Wimby and RG/USO between them again, just last year? Heh. Nothing wrong with it. Legendary athletes do legendary things.

It's not entertaining, predictable uncompetitive sports are basically pointless. Uncertainty is a core element for me to enjoy sports, it's why the phrase "Don't tell me the score I recorded the game" exists. As soon as you know what happens the entertainment value takes a swan dive.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I like the NHL playoffs more in any given year because I'm more of a hockey fan.

That said, the ECF and WCF in the NBA were great this year. IMO though the ECF in the NHL was amazing, too.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Wow some dude actually said Curry has been the best player for 4 years? LMAO.

My god what a horrible take.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
uniform match up for the finals...

2018-NBA-Finals-Uniform-Matchups-Cavs-Warriors.jpg

every single game is black/grey vs white. What a load of garbage

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
Comparing the NHL to the NBA is like comparing premium sirloin steak to a bag of dogshit. Take your pick. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a Kia. Just not even close.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think NBA basketball can be exciting come playoff time, although the basketball that is truly the best is college basketball come March Madness. It's just that it's the same ol song and dance and the same teams over and over and over again. It's boring, predictable and stale.
In all fairness Cleveland really had to battle. They barely made it out of round 1, 2 was a cake walk, but again round 3 they were down 3-2.

Even GS they were down 3-2 and fought their way back against Houston.

Might be same teams, but it's not like they dominated their way to the finals

Reactions: CarolinaFlyerFan

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
One is a mans sport, the other is a game of who misses putting a ball in a circle the least every 30 seconds.

Comparing the NHL to the NBA is like comparing premium sirloin steak to a bag of dog****. Take your pick. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a Kia. Just not even close.

Lol, why are hockey fans so insecure? As a member of multiple sports communities I've never seen such an inferiority complex towards other sports.

I've been on tennis forums that whine less than HFBoards

#PleaseLikeMySport

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As usual the NBA will somehow get ten times the rating of the Stanley Cup Finals despite the fact only the lesser rated one is going to be an actual competitive series.

Sometimes I feel like the NHL is too random. At least NBA has major star power in the final, where is that major star power attraction in the NHL final? If my team is not in it, at least I get to see some superstars going at it.

Sadly that's what sells. And honestly Golden State-Cavs was compelling until Kevin Durant took all the suspense out of it by making a superteam an all-NBA team. Now Golden State-Cleveland is more or less like Montreal-St. Louis in the late '60's. One team from an inferior league going up against an all-time dynasty.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
As usual the NBA will somehow get ten times the rating of the Stanley Cup Finals despite the fact only the lesser rated one is going to be an actual competitive series.

Sadly that's what sells. And honestly Golden State-Cavs was compelling until Kevin Durant took all the suspense out of it by making a superteam an all-NBA team.
To be fair, game one of the NBA finals actually went to OT. That's about as competitive as it gets. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends in a sweep though with the way that game ended.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To be fair, game one of the NBA finals actually went to OT. That's about as competitive as it gets. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends in a sweep though with the way that game ended.

It still probably would have ended in five even if the Cavs won Game 1...like Iverson's Sixers against the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, or the Thunder against LeBron's Heat. Game 1's the easiest for the vastly overmatched team to win.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
It still probably would have ended in five even if the Cavs won Game 1...like Iverson's Sixers against the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, or the Thunder against LeBron's Heat. Game 1's the easiest for the vastly overmatched team to win.
That's true but home court is actually an advantage in the NBA and the Cavs have been great at home so far in the playoffs. If they won game 1, I wouldn't have been surprised if they stole one at home. They still can but game 1 had to have depleted them mentally. I don't see them coming back after that and GS is only going to get better from here.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Lol, why are hockey fans so insecure? As a member of multiple sports communities I've never seen such an inferiority complex towards other sports.

I've been on tennis forums that whine less than HFBoards

#PleaseLikeMySport

I just find it utterly boring! Hardly insecure.
No real exciting plays... oh wow he was fouled as he shot and it went it.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
As I get older, I’m becoming much less tolerant of the violence in the NHL and NFL, so I’ve been enjoying soccer and basketball more and more.

My problem with the NBA is that I don’t feel the tension until the final 5 minutes. Hockey games are that intense the entire 60 minutes.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
As I get older, I’m becoming much less tolerant of the violence in the NHL and NFL, so I’ve been enjoying soccer and basketball more and more.

My problem with the NBA is that I don’t feel the tension until the final 5 minutes. Hockey games are that intense the entire 60 minutes.
IDK I love zlatan and he kicks people in the head whenever he is upset

Reactions: Ubi Sunt

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
As long as there aren't a ton of intentional fouls, I find the last 3 minutes of an NBA playoff game to be about on par with the entirety of an NHL playoff game. I just don't find it nearly as engaging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad