Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Don’t think it will make much difference, as the talent disparity will rear its head, but Sorokin has the ability to steal games. His ceiling is much higher than Varly.

It really comes down to the team in front of him. Do not have the talent or speed to win. Hence, they spend 70% of the game chasing in their own zone. It’s a familiar look.

They also do not have the talent or speed to execute/maximize Roy’s system. He wants aggressiveness in all three zones; they simply aren’t quick or skilled enough to execute that way.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The people ob this board are hilarious. We have MBAs who know what the owner who never speaks to the media is thinking, wannabe GMs, goalie consultants, media critics, and sports psychologists.

We’re rubbing elbows with greatness here..
And a guy using Mapquest to get from salt lake to Vegas in 2 hrs.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The people ob this board are hilarious. We have MBAs who know what the owner who never speaks to the media is thinking, wannabe GMs, goalie consultants, media critics, and sports psychologists.

There's no place like home,,,,,

Reactions: MJF and MattMartin

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Of course Varly isn't the problem. The defense and forwards are the problem.

The difference is that you can swap out a goalie and get nearly the same performance (or maybe even better)...With the hope that it changes the attitude of the team. However you can't swap out any of the top 6 forwards (or defense) and get the same potential from any of the AHL call ups.

Overall Roy is just gasping at straws for a team that will struggle to win 1 game in this series. The problem is so much bigger than what goalie plays tomorrow night. This is an overall roster and GM problem.
You know the saying, you can't fire the team. It's why we have Roy. I do feel the team is the issue, I also feel Lane lost the room as well.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
Canes fan on Twitter. Disgusting
[mod edit]

Attachments

• IMG_2718.png
    IMG_2718.png
    331.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Let's be honest here. What team down 2-0 ever felt good being down 2-0? Tonight is as close to a must win as you can get without it being a must win. If there is one goalie in the league who is going to steal a game right now it is Sorokin. I would also love to see Ishakov on the PP. Not because he is the shiny new toy but because he was moving the puck super quick in what I have seen. This is something the Islanders are not doing a great job at.

Playing Carolina has been difficult because the muck it up style of play that works in the playoffs just gets penalty calls when the boys play Carolina. Like it or not the Islanders will simply have to outskill the Carolina team. While the series should likely be 1-1, getting it to 2-1 tonight means it is a brand new series.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Canes fan on Twitter. Disgusting
[mod edit]

It's disgusting enough that I don't want anyone to have to see that when they come on here so I removed it. If the bulk of us weren't New Yorkers maybe it's allowed to stick but we don't need to cause anyone even one ounce of stress because of that idiotic picture.

The image wasn't funny, it's just poor taste.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Sooooooo are we playing our 5'6 Russian savior tonight? LGI

It's possible Ish is useful on the powerplay and his quick decision making might be able to clear the zone a few times without resorting to dumping/icing. Maybe one of the 10 times he'll get knocked on his ass will draw a penalty.

If they instead go with a banged up and even slower than normal Matt Martin they'll know exactly what they are getting.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
i'll be at a bar watching the NFL draft and this game 3.

I'm ready for the cardiac arrest on my heart

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sooooooo are we playing our 5'6 Russian savior tonight? LGI
Smells like it, I wonder if Martin’s played his last game as an Islander.

Also, I thought 11-7 with Aho dressing wouldn’t have been a bad idea instead of Iskhakov for Martin.

Reactions: MJF

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It's possible Ish is useful on the powerplay and his quick decision making might be able to clear the zone a few times without resorting to dumping/icing. Maybe one of the 10 times he'll get knocked on his ass will draw a penalty.

If they instead go with a banged up and even slower than normal Matt Martin they'll know exactly what they are getting.
Wouldn’t be the worst thing for him to carry the puck. Throws off the insanity of forcing it through Barzal/Engvall on the zone entry.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
i'll be at a bar watching the NFL draft and this game 3.

I'm ready for the cardiac arrest on my heart
I’ll save you the headache, your Jets will draft some kid who will be sleeping with his moms friends by the end of his rookie season.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

You omitted those who can predict the future. Nostradamus would be proud.

• Haha
Reactions: MJF

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
It's disgusting enough that I don't want anyone to have to see that when they come on here so I removed it. If the bulk of us weren't New Yorkers maybe it's allowed to stick but we don't need to cause anyone even one ounce of stress because of that idiotic picture.

The image wasn't funny, it's just poor taste.

Totally get it...its sickening man.

Reactions: PK Cronin

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Obvious but 2-1 vs. 3-0 is the difference between having a series and "see you in the Fall." Win tonight and build confidence.

Reactions: bstash19

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Some Canes fans are literally simping for the Confederacy. It’s fitting for that subset of Canes fans (not all of them mind you)… Losers rooting for losers

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I have to imagine its not totally arena availability tonight as to why there is just 2 games. The league must have opted to not play a couple of other series due to the NFL draft. Normally we are in the 2nd round by 4/25

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Smells like it, I wonder if Martin’s played his last game as an Islander.

Also, I thought 11-7 with Aho dressing wouldn’t have been a bad idea instead of Iskhakov for Martin.

This sort of thing frustrates me if Iskhakov is in.

If Martin is out of the lineup and Iskhakov is in, why has Iskhakov in the minors all year instead of being brought up much sooner. He's drawing in over all the other extras we carried this year? It means they think he gives the team the best chance to succeed now and I wonder why he wasn't brought up sooner if that is the case. Did he really develop much more in the past two months that suddenly makes him the best option?

I know that they want to keep all the assets that they can but there were opportunities to bring him up this year and they didn't do it until the last game of the season.

Reactions: Chockey22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad