Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I agree that Dobson has been great the past two regular seasons, but he slipped a bit come playoff time. He's one of the few guys that we need to have firing on all cylinders, if we're gonna have a chance.

Pulock is having a good year IMO. He would benefit from having a partner that is quicker.

Pelech is not himself. I would put Riley with Pulock, and put Pelech with Bortuzzo.
Dobson was not good at all last year and even in a year where his offense has been great, he is still the biggest defensive liability on the team and has been embarrassingly soft so far in this series. If he isnt making a big impact on offense hes is absolutely useless.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I am interested to see how practice goes tomorrow - the call-ups may have more to do with motivating the guys in the locker room.
However, I can see Kuhlman and Gauthier getting in there, but I doubt Martin and/or Clutter sit. I can see Gauthier and Kuhlamn drawing in for someone like Holmstrom and Engvall.

I believe Varly starts, but if the series continues trend the way the last 2 games have gone, then I cannot see how this roster stays together beyond this playoffs... major changes on the horizon.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I agree that Dobson has been great the past two regular seasons, but he slipped a bit come playoff time. He's one of the few guys that we need to have firing on all cylinders, if we're gonna have a chance.

Pulock is having a good year IMO. He would benefit from having a partner that is quicker.

Pelech is not himself. I would put Riley with Pulock, and put Pelech with Bortuzzo.
While it would be nice to have Dobber a defensive wizard, i can handle the slight downgrade there for his offensive uptick. Needs to be pared with a more stay at home type. Also believe he has worn down a good bit over the season. Young still.

Agree on Pelech...ijuries maybe taking a toll.

Can also see Pulock with Riley...I like the way Riley has been playing.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The second game made it clear just how far from contending this team really is, despite blowing a 3-0 lead. It was men against boys for 60 mins. Change, though, needs to start at the top. Lou needs to go and then a new GM needs to assess the squad and make changes.

I think its just a bad matchup. I feel they have competitive series with teams like NYR/BOS/TOR/FLA. Might even be able to upset someone like TOR/NYR. I think FLA/BOS they'd be killed by the special teams battle but if you're Lou and you have a chance late next year to avoid Carolina by losing a game or two late I think you absolutely do so, even if it means you lose home ice vs someone else. We already saw out west and with Boston vs the Caps how teams clearly did that

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I am interested to see how practice goes tomorrow - the call-ups may have more to do with motivating the guys in the locker room.
However, I can see Kuhlman and Gauthier getting in there, but I doubt Martin and/or Clutter sit. I can see Gauthier and Kuhlamn drawing in for someone like Holmstrom and Engvall.

I believe Varly starts, but if the series continues trend the way the last 2 games have gone, then I cannot see how this roster stays together beyond this playoffs... major changes on the horizon.

I'm pretty sure I read in the past that the call-ups don't always get to practice with the actual roster. Maybe a select few do but teams don't like the reps being taken away from guys who are actually going to play so I don't think it's going to make much of a difference.

If it's a playoff game and we're relying on call-ups motivating guys then there's no hope anyway.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I think its just a bad matchup. I feel they have competitive series with teams like NYR/BOS/TOR/FLA. Might even be able to upset someone like TOR/NYR. I think FLA/BOS they'd be killed by the special teams battle but if you're Lou and you have a chance late next year to avoid Carolina by losing a game or two late I think you absolutely do so, even if it means you lose home ice vs someone else. We already saw out west and with Boston vs the Caps how teams clearly did that
Agree on the Matchup. Also believe Fla, Carolina are the class of the East. We'll always play Rangers tough. Not intimidated by Bruins. Tampa is Tampa, and still dangerous but we are well acquainted.

I watched Fla/Tampa last night. Great game. Couldn't imagine this squad competing for 60 minutes with either.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Nope, he can play when the current goalie falters. He lost the net. Let me him reboot in the offseason if Varly keeps playing the way he does. That’s the benefit of having these two.

If Sorokin faultered, Louie Domonique was your backup, he plays a game or two, then Sorokin goes back in. The Isles don’t have to do that, whereas another would ‘have’ to do it.
If Varly was 2-0, I'd agree. Not that it was "his fault" by any means but his W/L, GAA and SV% in the first two games are not good. Certainly not good enough to be guaranteed every start when you have Ilya f***ing Sorokin on the bench.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
$108 to get in via Ticketmaster tomorrow...

if you dare........

If Varly was 2-0, I'd agree. Not that it was "his fault" by any means but his W/L, GAA and SV% in the first two games are not good. Certainly not good enough to be guaranteed every start when you have Ilya f***ing Sorokin on the bench.

BOTH goalies are fantastic and capable.. WHEN you have a solid D in front of them. Even Brodeur would be hung out to dry with this defense......

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
$108 to get in via Ticketmaster tomorrow...

if you dare........

BOTH goalies are fantastic and capable.. WHEN you have a solid D in front of them. Even Brodeur would be hung out to dry with this defense......
Isn't the bolded exactly what the Hurricanes did to the Islanders in the playoffs last season? The goaltending has reflected this in the series last year and again this series so far.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Fasching in for Holmstrom and Ishkatov in for Martin at practice today. Might just be maintenance for Martin though, so not sure we can expect to see him in Game 3.

He (Martin) looked completely useless out there in Raleigh (to be fair, the whole team did during Game 2). He's too slow to do anything out there and doesn't anywhere near the finishing ability of Lee to at least justify the ice time. He's likely to try and make a difference in Game 3 and end up in the box.

The team has nothing to lose now, so start Ish with Maclean on the 4th line and maybe give the Canes a different look. Nothing but respect for Martin the man and his career here. Maybe he comes back in if Isles do the impossible and make the second round.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The 4th line is a major issue. They don’t have the legs to play the game they have to to be effective anymore, and Martin especially doesn’t have the skill to warrant being in the lineup if he’s not able to run around and be voracious on the forecheck.

As sad as it is, the greatest fourth line in hockey is a mere shell of what it once was

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Fasching in for Holmstrom and Ishkatov in for Martin at practice today. Might just be maintenance for Martin though, so not sure we can expect to see him in Game 3.

He (Martin) looked completely useless out there in Raleigh (to be fair, the whole team did during Game 2). He's too slow to do anything out there and doesn't anywhere near the finishing ability of Lee to at least justify the ice time. He's likely to try and make a difference in Game 3 and end up in the box.

The team has nothing to lose now, so start Ish with Maclean on the 4th line and maybe give the Canes a different look. Nothing but respect for Martin the man and his career here. Maybe he comes back in if Isles do the impossible and make the second round.
This is my fear. That they will be running around like chickens with their heads cut off, refs will try to nip it in the bud and call strict penalties. They will score PP goals and we will whine about the refs.

Somewhat disagree about "having nothing to lose." Lose on Thursday and yes, I'll be on board with somewhat drastic changes for the hell of it. But losing the first two on the road is nothing to panic about.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The microcosm of the Islanders problems for me was there was a play where the puck was along the boards and it came loose and slowly trickled across the Cane’s zone with no Cane in sight.

It was one of those plays where you’re just waiting for someone to enter the screen and pick it up and go in for a scoring chance.

Yet they were so caught up in being in a shell, that no Islander even entered the frame, let alone went for the puck

This team has no killer instinct. Turtle in your own zone and hope teams don’t get bounces is such a stupid way to play

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Pelech is not himself.
I was hoping we would see him step it up in the playoffs. Hasn't happened yet. Agree that injuries have taken their toll or he's actually dealing with an injury now. But clearly not the same player. He's not nearly involved physically anymore...

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The microcosm of the Islanders problems for me was there was a play where the puck was along the boards and it came loose and slowly trickled across the Cane’s zone with no Cane in sight.

It was one of those plays where you’re just waiting for someone to enter the screen and pick it up and go in for a scoring chance.

Yet they were so caught up in being in a shell, that no Islander even entered the frame, let alone went for the puck

This team has no killer instinct. Turtle in your own zone and hope teams don’t get bounces is such a stupid way to play
If it's the play I'm thinking of, I remember it well. I was looking at the edge of my tv hoping for an Islander to come zooming in. lol. Although during that sequence, if I recall correctly, they were all changing, not necessarily retreating back to their zone. But that too is a by product of being overwhelmed. Just try to survive your shift, dump the puck and head to the bench...

Reactions: Tres Peleches

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013

I know the exact play you're talking about and thought the same thing. Great post!

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
If it's the play I'm thinking of, I remember it well. I was looking at the edge of my tv hoping for an Islander to come zooming in. lol. Although during that sequence, if I recall correctly, they were all changing, not necessarily retreating back to their zone. But that too is a by product of being overwhelmed. Just try to survive your shift, dump the puck and head to the bench...
Yeah. Even with the change though, the puck was there for what seemed like 5 seconds and, outside of the initial forechecker, I don’t think there was even another Islander on the Cane’s side of the redline

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
if we do nothing else this summer...please let clutterbuck and martin go and fix the bottom 6 and penalty kill. we still wont be good enough or close to, but it would be a solid place to start.
i agree

Sorokin to start, Ishakov considered for the 4th line, Martin day-to-day, Fasching back in

Please just win one game. For our sanity.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Dobson was not good at all last year and even in a year where his offense has been great, he is still the biggest defensive liability on the team and has been embarrassingly soft so far in this series. If he isnt making a big impact on offense hes is absolutely useless.
He also badly needs to have the right defensive guy on him. If he EVER wants to be like Pietrangelo, he has to become stronger with his body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad