Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It’s not even about ‘Sorokin’ - it’s just about the goaltending isn’t the issue. Moving to Sorokin looks and feels like a panic move as it has no strategic benefit.
Panic move? Starting Skarek would be a panic move. Sorokin is still our #1 goalie. Or "1A" I guess. Obviously they signed Varlamov for a reason and it's quite possible that Roy starts Varlamov every game. But if I were to guess, I'd say that Sorokin gets in this series. He can steal a game 1-0 and should be given the opportunity to do so.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
So let me get this straight. You want to blow it up, rebuild, suck for years and years hoping that one day they will return to the playoffs that you don't even want to watch?
What? What is the alternative? To hope the Islanders scrape their way into a 7 or 8 seed the next few years only to get embarrassed in the playoffs? The team will be forced to have a rebuild in about 4 years, only than they will have almost no assets to sell and it will be a long and a miserable rebuild, the sooner the team tears it down and starts it over and gets some young prospects the better this team will be in the long run

Green

Nov 13, 2019
[
We are a mediocre at best team. Why on earth shouldn't we blow it up? This core isn't winning. We have no prospects to help us in any significant way.

You keep Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Sorokin...everyone else should be available.

Blowing it up and rebuilding with the hope to be competitive in 3-4 years is a significantly better plan than running back the oldest and slowest team in the NHL to maybe sneak into the playoffs and get embarrassed in the 1st round.
Disagree with this, the time to re-tool was 2 years ago, they blew that window and now a re-build is the only option, everyone outside of Dobson should be for sale

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It’s a short list.

Horvat and MacLean come to mind. Palmieri, Cizikas and Romo are engaged most of the time but not 100%. After that, I haven’t been impressed. A few years ago, I could’ve listed 10 players easily.
Who? Beauviller? Bailey? Leddy? Eberle? Komarov?

What? What is the alternative? To hope the Islanders scrape their way into a 7 or 8 seed the next few years only to get embarrassed in the playoffs? The team will be forced to have a rebuild in about 4 years, only than they will have almost no assets to sell and it will be a long and a miserable rebuild, the sooner the team tears it down and starts it over and gets some young prospects the better this team will be in the long run
okay

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Panic move? Starting Skarek would be a panic move. Sorokin is still our #1 goalie. Or "1A" I guess. Obviously they signed Varlamov for a reason and it's quite possible that Roy starts Varlamov every game. But if I were to guess, I'd say that Sorokin gets in this series. He can steal a game 1-0 and should be given the opportunity to do so.
When has he stolen a game all season? That’s a wing and a prayer. He was also mediocre versus Carolina last year.

Reactions: Glorydays22

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
When has he stolen a game all season? That’s a wing and a prayer. He was also mediocre versus Carolina last year.
Myopia much? He's the #1 goalie who was signed to an 8 year deal less than 10 months ago. Yes he's had a down year (by his standards) but has some pretty impressive numbers in his NHL career, including 18 shutouts and Vezina-caliber season last year. The Islanders have obviously committed to him. He'll get his chance. And he deserves it. What do you suggest they do - get rid of him? Make him their $8M backup forever?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Myopia much? He's the #1 goalie who was signed to an 8 year deal less than 10 months ago. Yes he's had a down year (by his standards) but has some pretty impressive numbers in his NHL career, including 18 shutouts and Vezina-caliber season last year. The Islanders have obviously committed to him. He'll get his chance. And he deserves it. What do you suggest they do - get rid of him? Make him their $8M backup forever?
Nope, he can play when the current goalie falters. He lost the net. Let me him reboot in the offseason if Varly keeps playing the way he does. That’s the benefit of having these two.

If Sorokin faultered, Louie Domonique was your backup, he plays a game or two, then Sorokin goes back in. The Isles don’t have to do that, whereas another would ‘have’ to do it.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
problem is the players that have the killer instinct on this team most of them don't have the talent or offensive talent that we need and have needed forever.

I love Casey but he isn't a top level talent for offense...it reminds me of first line Leo with little more talent.

We have a winger on each line that a lot of games can tend to make that line worse or useless in some games..example Engvall, sometimes Lee, Holmstrom ( I get he is young), Wahlstrom (whenever he plays)

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The special teams was a huge reason why this team wasn't better during the regular season and will be a huge reason why they can't beat Carolina. They cannot be overly aggressive and end up in the box or it's lights out. If they aren't aggressive they're going to give Carolina all the time and space necessary to keep controlling play.

They're f***ed.

But I'll still watch.
Yeah, this is an under-appreciated aspect of having great or poor special teams. It alters the way you can play and also the way your opponent can play. Exactly as you described. When the dynasty team was cooking along at 33% or so on the PP the opposition had to be really careful about taking penalties. But the Isles had a great PK and didn't worry too much about the opponent getting a PP, so they could play a harder game.

Chances the isles would blow this lead?

57-0, The most dangerous lead in hockey.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Apparently people trying to dox and threaten the social media person for the Canes? That’s f***ed

Yeah, they were a tremendous douche-noodle, but that’s super f***ed and uncalled for

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Apparently people trying to dox and threaten the social media person for the Canes? That’s f***ed

Yeah, they were a tremendous douche-noodle, but that’s super f***ed and uncalled for
What did the canes social media do?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
problem is the players that have the killer instinct on this team most of them don't have the talent or offensive talent that we need and have needed forever.

I love Casey but he isn't a top level talent for offense...it reminds me of first line Leo with little more talent.

We have a winger on each line that a lot of games can tend to make that line worse or useless in some games..example Engvall, sometimes Lee, Holmstrom ( I get he is young), Wahlstrom (whenever he plays)
Funny thing on the way to unleashed…this team went farther and showed 100x more jam with Leo on it, then without him.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I would say he’s been the most consistent and is obviously capable of elevating his game the bigger the games get.

I genuinely believed Pelech is washed (or at at the very least was somewhat of a byproduct of Trotz’ system).

Pulock I’d keep around.

Dobson is and has been a train wreck outside of the offensive zone.

Rielly is what he is, and Mayfield is staying by nature of his contract.
If not for Dobson, Isles would not even make the playoff this year. Pelech had bad injuries this past two years and I think it impacts how he played the games. He used to dish out tough hits but now he is softer and hesitates to go into the high danger area. When you have a bad concussion and have a young family, you probably will not put yourself in "Danger" for their sake, He also never had the time to truly work out to get into top shape during the past two summers, with all these injuries and getting older.

Pulock's game also declined. He reacts much slower with shots constantly missing the net and worse of all he stops carrying the puck out of his zone. If you trade Pelly then you should trade them both. Try to acquire a bigger stay-at-home RD and a smoother puck mover LD that is not under-size. If you can't trade or sign a UFA to fill those positions, then look for these prospects in the next two drafts.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Hey... why wasn't it a penalty when Guentzel yanked Varly's helmet off? That is not high-sticking?? WTF.

Noesen cross checks MacLean in the face, resulting in a fight. Why no penalty there?

I am starting to wonder why Carolina is the cup favorite. Because the NHL decided that they're going to win this year? :/

We punched into a 3 goal lead last game.

That killer instinct is missing on our team. A few guys have it, but some of them seem like they are punching a clock. Maybe they are out of shape?

Bag skate them, and don't tell them, but only the last 15 players on their feet, get to play the next game.

OOOOpppps Is 'bag' a restricted word? Sorry... :/
Carolina will get the calls against Isles but not when they face the Rags. NHL wants a New York Cup, just not with the smaller market Isles team. If not New York, they would prefer Florida get it this year. Anyway it would not matter much when your special team is much worse than the other one.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I have never seen Clutterbuck so overmatched physically before. He is cooked just like most of the country club boys

The bullshit “emotion” they showed at the end was embarrassing after having 1 shot in 35minutes. This team has no identity
He and Martin are cooked, trying but their bodies are failing them. Time to hang up in grace like Carter did. They should know themselves where their games are. Make room for the youngsters.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I agree that Dobson has been great the past two regular seasons, but he slipped a bit come playoff time. He's one of the few guys that we need to have firing on all cylinders, if we're gonna have a chance.

Pulock is having a good year IMO. He would benefit from having a partner that is quicker.

Pelech is not himself. I would put Riley with Pulock, and put Pelech with Bortuzzo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad