Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I’m questioning how Roys system is different than Lambert and Trotz.
Well, under Trotz they'd lose 2-1 in regulation and never have the lead. Under Lambert they'd be up 2-0 with 5 minutes to go and lose 3-2 in regulation or maybe OT.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
We have nothing to lose and need to add speed in the lineup.
Bortuzzo out - Aho in
Martin out - Fasching in
Clutterbuck out - Gauthier in
Engvall out - Ish in
Varly out - Sorokin in
I forgot about Gauthier - honestly not a bad idea with his speed and size. But I'd keep Clutterbuck in the game. I'd be up for Fasching and Gauthier in for Engvall and Martin, but not sure we'd see that happen.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Today’s hot take. Romo is currently the Isles best Dman. Dobson has been better and will be in the future but right now it’s Romo.

I’ll refrain from commenting on last night’s debacle. Well I just did, sort of.
I would say he’s been the most consistent and is obviously capable of elevating his game the bigger the games get.

I genuinely believed Pelech is washed (or at at the very least was somewhat of a byproduct of Trotz’ system).

Pulock I’d keep around.

Dobson is and has been a train wreck outside of the offensive zone.

Rielly is what he is, and Mayfield is staying by nature of his contract.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We have nothing to lose and need to add speed in the lineup.
Bortuzzo out - Aho in
Martin out - Fasching in
Clutterbuck out - Gauthier in
Engvall out - Ish in
Varly out - Sorokin in
You want to add speed but take out Engvall?

I can see Iskhakov playing Game 4 in a semi-panic move if we get trounced in game 3. Otherwise, there's no need to throw a rookie with one NHL game into the lineup.

Clutterbuck and Bortuzzo will play every game.

I could see Martin getting scratched if they're down 3-0 or 3-1.

Sorokin should start Thursday and IMO that will be the only change.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Im waiting to hear about a "Players only, closed door meeting, called by Captain Lee"

I wont hold my breath.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Maybe we need another day, or maybe most of the board figures there's no point, but any thoughts on lineup changes for game 3?

I assume JGP and Nelson will both play, but they were not good, especially in the faceoff dot (they were 6 for 20 and 5 for 15, respectively). Maybe Fasching back in for Engvall? I can't believe I'm typing this, but perhaps Aho in for Bortuzzo (the immovable object)? Grasping at straws here.... I assume Varly starts again - maybe save the Sorokin Hail Mary if they're down 3-0?
are we allowed to make trades? :laugh:

Reactions: doublechili

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
LIneup changes.. Im sure thatll do the trick!! Yeah!!!! :)

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
You want to add speed but take out Engvall?

I can see Iskhakov playing Game 4 in a semi-panic move if we get trounced in game 3. Otherwise, there's no need to throw a rookie with one NHL game into the lineup.

Clutterbuck and Bortuzzo will play every game.

I could see Martin getting scratched if they're down 3-0 or 3-1.

Sorokin should start Thursday and IMO that will be the only change.
I think what you said is what will actually happen but Fasching will also find his way into the lineup somehow.

I think we need speed but Engvall is useless.if any physical play is involved or if the puck is within 10 feet of the boards he will lose the battle.

LIneup changes.. Im sure thatll do the trick!! Yeah!!!! :)

200w.gif
Shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic is all we have at this point.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Maybe we need another day, or maybe most of the board figures there's no point, but any thoughts on lineup changes for game 3?

I assume JGP and Nelson will both play, but they were not good, especially in the faceoff dot (they were 6 for 20 and 5 for 15, respectively). Maybe Fasching back in for Engvall? I can't believe I'm typing this, but perhaps Aho in for Bortuzzo (the immovable object)? Grasping at straws here.... I assume Varly starts again - maybe save the Sorokin Hail Mary if they're down 3-0?

I don't expect much. Sorokin might get a start to see if he can steal a game. I'd put Fasching in for Martin. There's not much else to do unfortunately. Maybe Bortuzzo comes out for Aho but I think he'll be taken advantage of pretty significantly.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
Few things I noticed..

CC, Martin, Clutterbuck and a few others were the ones being hit and they didn’t like it, I think it’s time to let them go.

Nelson instead of hustling back for the empty net goal and trying to stop it resorted into giving up and being a baby…how about you play better and act like you been there before. I’m sure any young player would love to be there and hustle try to stop that from going in.
Lack of hustle from many players this playoffs not just Nelson.

I had one question about the refs(nothing to do with isles losing) but how come the refs blew every icing when the isles shot it down but then canes shot it down at least 3 times and said it was from a dman pinching so what is the difference? Anyone explain?

Reactions: Potvottier

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The Captain is flexing his quads and ironing his Bermuda shorts and polo shirt in anticipation of the postseason get together at Bethpage Black with the rest of the vets.
dont worry Capt Lee, keep your chin up!!!

(Sorry, couldnt resist)

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Just make it merciful and quick. However, the way this team goes is now they'll inject us with some false hope by winning a game or two.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I don't expect much. Sorokin might get a start to see if he can steal a game. I'd put Fasching in for Martin. There's not much else to do unfortunately. Maybe Bortuzzo comes out for Aho but I think he'll be taken advantage of pretty significantly.
What is Sorokin gonna do? The issues the last two games are on the defense and forwards.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
What is Sorokin gonna do? The issues the last two games are on the defense and forwards.
yeah you only go to sorokin if its 3-0 canes in the series because its literally the only move you can make at that point. varly kept us in both games. our defensemen have been terrible this year. so much regression in that group.

Reactions: mm11

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He would do the exact same thing as Varlamov has been doing so far. Being under siege and giving up goals. The only difference would be that YOU would be jittery.

If Sorokin had given up the Martinook goal, banked in off Varly’s skate while looking the wrong way, you would have hung out your psychologist shingle and said he was mentally weak.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
yeah you only go to sorokin if its 3-0 canes in the series because its literally the only move you can make at that point. varly kept us in both games. our defensemen have been terrible this year. so much regression in that group.
It’s not even about ‘Sorokin’ - it’s just about the goaltending isn’t the issue. Moving to Sorokin looks and feels like a panic move as it has no strategic benefit.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He would do the exact same thing as Varlamov has been doing so far. Being under siege and giving up goals. The only difference would be that YOU would be jittery.

If Sorokin had given up the Martinook goal, banked in off Varly’s skate while looking the wrong way, you would have hung out your psychologist shingle and said he was mentally weak.
Sorokin’s doing great. Does he have enough rest yet?

He’s a trendsetter though. Talbot had a goal go in behind the net off his mask too by, well, moving off the post. Oh, well.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I think Roy is also hamstrung by the weak PK. Some of the guys we're mentioning as options to slot in might also not be disciplined and could take penalties. For his rep as a penalty machine, I'm not sure if Bortuzzo threw a single hit - maybe because he couldn't catch anyone to hit them, but maybe because he listened to the coaches telling him not to take penalties. Aho might improve mobility and puck movement, but he also could take dumb/desperation penalties. Not many great options.....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think Roy is also hamstrung by the weak PK. Some of the guys we're mentioning as options to slot in might also not be disciplined and could take penalties. For his rep as a penalty machine, I'm not sure if Bortuzzo threw a single hit - maybe because he couldn't catch anyone to hit them, but maybe because he listened to the coaches telling him not to take penalties. Aho might improve mobility and puck movement, but he also could take dumb/desperation penalties. Not many great options.....

The special teams was a huge reason why this team wasn't better during the regular season and will be a huge reason why they can't beat Carolina. They cannot be overly aggressive and end up in the box or it's lights out. If they aren't aggressive they're going to give Carolina all the time and space necessary to keep controlling play.

They're f***ed.

But I'll still watch.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
Hey... why wasn't it a penalty when Guentzel yanked Varly's helmet off? That is not high-sticking?? WTF.

Noesen cross checks MacLean in the face, resulting in a fight. Why no penalty there?

I am starting to wonder why Carolina is the cup favorite. Because the NHL decided that they're going to win this year? :/
The Islanders just don’t have enough punch, this is over in 5 or 6 at best.
We punched into a 3 goal lead last game.

That killer instinct is missing on our team. A few guys have it, but some of them seem like they are punching a clock. Maybe they are out of shape?

Bag skate them, and don't tell them, but only the last 15 players on their feet, get to play the next game.

OOOOpppps Is 'bag' a restricted word? Sorry... :/

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Hey... why wasn't it a penalty when Guentzel yanked Varly's helmet off? That is not high-sticking?? WTF.

Noesen cross checks MacLean in the face, resulting in a fight. Why no penalty there?

I am starting to wonder why Carolina is the cup favorite. Because the NHL decided that they're going to win this year? :/

We punched into a 3 goal lead last game.

That killer instinct is missing on our team. A few guys have it, but some of them seem like they are punching a clock. Maybe they are out of shape?

Bag skate them, and don't tell them, but only the last 15 players on their feet, get to play the next game.

OOOOpppps Is 'bag' a restricted word? Sorry... :/
What players on the Isles have killer instinct?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad