Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The thing is even though we are still only down 2-0 and have not even played at home yet, last night's game had the feeling of a series losing defeat.
And I will tell you the reason why. No lead is safe with this team. They could come out absolutely flying and blow the doors off Carolina on Thursday, go up 3-0 and outshoot them 20-5 for the first half of the game. But all it will take is the first couple of dives by Carolina and the refs get involved and they get one goal and suddenly we will be on our heels the rest of the game again.
Yesterday, despite being outplayed we were up 3-0 until the refs got involved and it changed everything.
But this team just does not know how to stay aggressive and I thought that was the one thing Roy has said would change. Last night was the exact same thing as what Lambert's team did last season in Game 6.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The thing is even though we are still only down 2-0 and have not even played at home yet, last night's game had the feeling of a series losing defeat.
And I will tell you the reason why. No lead is safe with this team. They could come out absolutely flying and blow the doors off Carolina on Thursday, go up 3-0 and outshoot them 20-5 for the first half of the game. But all it will take is the first couple of dives by Carolina and the refs get involved and they get one goal and suddenly we will be on our heels the rest of the game again.
Yesterday, despite being outplayed we were up 3-0 until the refs got involved and it changed everything.
But this team just does not know how to stay aggressive and I thought that was the one thing Roy has said would change. Last night was the exact same thing as what Lambert's team did last season in Game 6.

Oh no Clarice -- and you were doing so well too. You dealt with the uncomfortable truth about Miggs.....

You had me till the first bold.

Then the second bolded part is the truth. You stop skating against good teams and you're out of position and late to the play --- resulting in ....

Penalties.

Reactions: MJF

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
People are actually blaming the refs?

Pass the buck

tumblr_n6u4e6b9c31qem02jo2_500.gif

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I dont think anybody is blaming the refs for us not even attempting to play for the last 30 minutes of the game, but the fact is we were up 3-0 until the refs made another weak call on a dive when Varly tapped the back of someone's legs. Goalies do this all the time and after that they scored and the entire game changed. We were fine, despite being outplayed up until that point.
That does not excuse us not being able to hold a two goal lead in the third and why we stopped playing. But the facts are the facts. It was the same in game 1. We controlled that game for the most part and yet two weak calls on us again changed the game.
We have 3 PPs in two games combined. They have 8 and have not been called for some of the exact same stuff we are being called for. These are just facts. Again it does not excuse the play.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I dont think anybody is blaming the refs for us not even attempting to play for the last 30 minutes of the game, but the fact is we were up 3-0 until the refs made another weak call on a dive when Varly tapped the back of someone's legs. Goalies do this all the time and after that they scored and the entire game changed. We were fine, despite being outplayed up until that point.
That does not excuse us not being able to hold a two goal lead in the third and why we stopped playing. But the facts are the facts. It was the same in game 1. We controlled that game for the most part and yet two weak calls on us again changed the game.
We have 3 PPs in two games combined. They have 8 and have not been called for some of the exact same stuff we are being called for. These are just facts. Again it does not excuse the play.
Nah. They had two dives in game 1, I agree. But tough for the ref to not make either one of those calls. As far as the Varlamov penalty goes, at first I thought it was a dive as well. But I do think he took his skate out from under him. Legit call IMO.

When you don't have the puck the majority of the game and are constantly out on extended shifts chasing your opponent, it will result in penalties.

No issue with the reffing.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Nah. They had two dives in game 1, I agree. But tough for the ref to not make either one of those calls. As far as the Varlamov penalty goes, at first I thought it was a dive as well. But I do think he took his skate out from under him. Legit call IMO.

When you don't have the puck the majority of the game and are constantly out on extended shifts chasing your opponent, it will result in penalties.

Im no genius, but Im thinking the College level PK, probably has something to do with it too?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

The Barzal interference as well. Ticky tacky, but we were hemmed in our zone for 2 mins prior to that.

Don't allow yourselves to be put into that position in the first place.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

It might have factored in somewhat to the Isles being gassed late. Overall impact was not big but it was another badly officiated game. As we have seen though the standard every postseason is games 1-2, 3 often get called tight in all series then they stop calling anything minor after that

Reactions: Osakahaus

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Today’s hot take. Romo is currently the Isles best Dman. Dobson has been better and will be in the future but right now it’s Romo.

I’ll refrain from commenting on last night’s debacle. Well I just did, sort of.
I’m trying to figure out whether Dobson is the Tin Man or Scarecrow.

Game 2 or Stadium Series - pick your gaffe.

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
So I’m curious , after witnessing the collapse last night I thought back to the 94 team that got destroyed by the rangers , at least that team competed hard every shift against a stacked rags team unlike these guys who tried to basically kill a 30 minute PP

• Haha
Reactions: Lek

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
So I’m curious , after witnessing the collapse last night I thought back to the 94 team that got destroyed by the rangers , at least that team competed hard every shift against a stacked rags team unlike these guys who tried to basically kill a 30 minute PP
This is some series revisionist history. That 94 team did not compete hard every shift. They got dominated every single game.

6-0 (outshot 39-21)
6-0 (outshot 36-29)
5-1 (outshot NYR 22-18)
5-2 (outshot 34-18)

At least these games (so far) are close.

PolishPrince21

Mar 4, 2015
LI
This is some series revisionist history. That 94 team did not compete hard every shift. They got dominated every single game.

6-0 (outshot 39-21)
6-0 (outshot 36-29)
5-1 (outshot NYR 22-18)
5-2 (outshot 34-18)

they competed as hard as they could considering the team they were up against.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

6-0 (outshot 39-21)
6-0 (outshot 36-29)
5-1 (outshot NYR 22-18)
5-2 (outshot 34-18)

I can't let a discussion of the '94 playoffs pass without mentioning that Ron Hextall provided a historically bad goaltending performance in that series. Like, I think if they replaced the puck with a beach ball he literally would not have been able to stop a beach ball.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I can't let a discussion of the '94 playoffs pass without mentioning that Ron Hextall provided a historically bad goaltending performance in that series. Like, I think if they replaced the puck with a beach ball he literally would not have been able to stop a beach ball.

Yeah I know the Isles played NYR tough that year and many, even Rangers fans were nervous about that series but he was so bad it was impossible to keep it close

Reactions: doublechili

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yeah, the Isles just got freight trained in that series. Hextall made Tommy Salo and Halak look like HOFers, he was awful.

Reactions: doublechili

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I have never seen Clutterbuck so overmatched physically before. He is cooked just like most of the country club boys

Meh. Are you suggesting this team isn't trying?
The bullshit “emotion” they showed at the end was embarrassing after having 1 shot in 35minutes. This team has no identity

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I have never seen Clutterbuck so overmatched physically before. He is cooked just like most of the country club boys

The bullshit “emotion” they showed at the end was embarrassing after having 1 shot in 35minutes. This team has no identity
if we do nothing else this summer...please let clutterbuck and martin go and fix the bottom 6 and penalty kill. we still wont be good enough or close to, but it would be a solid place to start.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Maybe we need another day, or maybe most of the board figures there's no point, but any thoughts on lineup changes for game 3?

I assume JGP and Nelson will both play, but they were not good, especially in the faceoff dot (they were 6 for 20 and 5 for 15, respectively). Maybe Fasching back in for Engvall? I can't believe I'm typing this, but perhaps Aho in for Bortuzzo (the immovable object)? Grasping at straws here.... I assume Varly starts again - maybe save the Sorokin Hail Mary if they're down 3-0?

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
if we do nothing else this summer...please let clutterbuck and martin go and fix the bottom 6 and penalty kill. we still wont be good enough or close to, but it would be a solid place to start.
We do not have much roster flexibility but those 2 should be easy choices to let walk. If we can deal Lee for anything I would do it in a heartbeat. If not I would buy Lee out and give the C to Horvat. Getting rid of 3 country club members might really help shift the culture.

Well none of those things have anything to do with my question.
They tried, they just do not have the talent and I’m questioning how Roys system is different than Lambert and Trotz. But I think it is lack of talent and skating ability more than coaching

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Maybe we need another day, or maybe most of the board figures there's no point, but any thoughts on lineup changes for game 3?

I assume JGP and Nelson will both play, but they were not good, especially in the faceoff dot (they were 6 for 20 and 5 for 15, respectively). Maybe Fasching back in for Engvall? I can't believe I'm typing this, but perhaps Aho in for Bortuzzo (the immovable object)? Grasping at straws here.... I assume Varly starts again - maybe save the Sorokin Hail Mary if they're down 3-0?

We have nothing to lose and need to add speed in the lineup.
Bortuzzo out - Aho in
Martin out - Fasching in
Clutterbuck out - Gauthier in
Engvall out - Ish in
Varly out - Sorokin in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad