Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yes, we don't know how the rest of the series is going to continue on, but I agree with your post and just don't see 4 victories coming over the next 12 days.

And then all fans need to be clear on this:
There can be no rinse and repeat this summer. No business as usual. This is a very incomplete and flawed product. Changes MUST come in order to take a next step and move upwards from mediocrity.

The team barely slipped into the postseason on the combination of a losing record and incompetence from surrounding opponents.

And even that was made possible by a 8-0-1 stretch to complete the season.

Business must be approached as having been very fortunate and very much in need of impactful alterations in several categories.
So now we're looking at the 8-0-1 winning streak as a bad thing? By the same token, the Oilers season was made possible by the 16 game winning streak. Take that away and they are a lotto team.

I was hoping we'd enjoy the playoffs and see how the games go before the rebuild crowd starts getting restless. Guess not.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I don't think that was it. I think he was hedging against Kuznetsov slipping the pass through for a tip-in, which wasn't his job on the play. His job is to stop a shot, and stop a pass if it goes too close to the crease. Not hedge for a pass he can't stop.
He was definitely screened on the play. Noesen came across his face and it almost looked like Varly started moving to his left just a tad bit (perhaps anticipating the pass across as you suggest) and move just to the point that he left the top corner open and Kuz just hit that spot perfectly.

It was almost a similar play to when Hickey was breaking down a situation where the goalie needs to cover that corner with his face. Not quite that steep an angle, but if you are going to drop down early and leave that corner, you have to be aware of it.

Reactions: Potvottier

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
My gut is telling me we lose tonight like 5-1 but then win game 3 at home.

My gut is often wrong.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
He was definitely screened on the play. Noesen came across his face and it almost looked like Varly started moving to his left just a tad bit (perhaps anticipating the pass across as you suggest) and move just to the point that he left the top corner open and Kuz just hit that spot perfectly.

It was almost a similar play to when Hickey was breaking down a situation where the goalie needs to cover that corner with his face. Not quite that steep an angle, but if you are going to drop down early and leave that corner, you have to be aware of it.
Not even close, never saw the puck a complete screen.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The series goes back to your building you'll be fine. Just stop playing not to lose and get them bastards off their game. Agitate the crap out of them. That's how you handle teams like that. Good luck!

Reactions: Olliemets

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The series goes back to your building you'll be fine. Just stop playing not to lose and get them bastards off their game. Agitate the crap out of them. That's how you handle teams like that. Good luck!

They can't because the PK is so shitty they can't afford to take any penalties at all. They've boxed themselves into quite the corner.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
They can't because the PK is so shitty they can't afford to take any penalties at all. They've boxed themselves into quite the corner.
The refs were terrible. I couldn't believe all the calls they gave them. Sickening.

Not supposed to like you, but I like you. Not all Rags fans are dicks, a silver lining to tonight's massacre.
You got to look at any positive you can. Carolina doesn't have good goaltending and they don't like the grinding type of game. Isles need to take advantage.

Reactions: Potvottier

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The refs were terrible. I couldn't believe all the calls they gave them. Sickening.

You got to look at any positive you can. Carolina doesn't have good goaltending and they don't like the grinding type of game. Isles need to take advantage.

Well, it takes time to recover from an atomic kick to the gonads by Pele in his prime. Not much hope, but I'll begrudgingly watch Game 3.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Does us getting swept mean there will be any meaningful change to management/this core? I'd like to think it would, but I know better. Lou will run essentially the same team back next year. We know this already.

I don't even want to watch game 3. This franchise is not good for our health. they should be banned.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Does us getting swept mean there will be any meaningful change to management/this core? I'd like to think it would, but I know better. Lou will run essentially the same team back next year. We know this already.

I don't even want to watch game 3. This franchise is not good for our health. they should be banned.
So let me get this straight. You want to blow it up, rebuild, suck for years and years hoping that one day they will return to the playoffs that you don't even want to watch?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
So let me get this straight. You want to blow it up, rebuild, suck for years and years hoping that one day they will return to the playoffs that you don't even want to watch?

We are a mediocre at best team. Why on earth shouldn't we blow it up? This core isn't winning. We have no prospects to help us in any significant way.

You keep Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Sorokin...everyone else should be available.

Blowing it up and rebuilding with the hope to be competitive in 3-4 years is a significantly better plan than running back the oldest and slowest team in the NHL to maybe sneak into the playoffs and get embarrassed in the 1st round.

Reactions: bstash19

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

I don’t think IJunkie is suggesting that. I see a retool, and I agree. Significant structural changes need to happen to improve this team for the short and long term.

Start with Lee and JGP, the most overpaid. Pelech (as much as it pains me) is next in line.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We are a mediocre at best team. Why on earth shouldn't we blow it up? This core isn't winning. We have no prospects to help us in any significant way.

You keep Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Sorokin...everyone else should be available.

Blowing it up and rebuilding with the hope to be competitive in 3-4 years is a significantly better plan than running back the oldest and slowest team in the NHL to maybe sneak into the playoffs and get embarrassed in the 1st round.
yawn

Not to mention that in your plan you'll be wasting Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Sorokin's prime years

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
yawn

Not to mention that in your plan you'll be wasting Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Sorokin's prime years

Well at this point, we probably can't blow it up anyway because we're saddled with so many moronic unmovable long term deals. No matter what Lou does, he will be prohibited by his dumb decisions to build an old, slow, expensive team that has zero prospects.

With the possible exception of Holmstrom and Sorokin (due to his poor season) is there a single player on the team that we can reasonably expect to be significantly better next year than they were this year. I mean I guess you can add Dobson to this list, but he is already producing at an All Star level. Any improvement he makes, likely won't be significantly better than what he already is.

I just don't see how bringing this same team back is going to give us results that are any different from what we've gotten the last 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad