Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Still think Isles come out a winner in this series. Carolina is a in dangerous spot with all the media anointing them Cup champs. Kinda like the recent Bruins teams. Rattle them, and they are done.
Part of me holds that belief. And of course they CAN beat Carolina. But then I look at their roster. And our roster. And I think, nah. Canes in 6.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Part of me holds that belief. And of course they CAN beat Carolina. But then I look at their roster. And our roster. And I think, nah. Canes in 6.

On paper, Canes win.

That’s why we play the games.
Yeah, definitely a tough draw - I'd rather be the Caps in WC2. But, you play the cards you're dealt.

Based on our regular season you have to figure at least a couple of games could go to OT. So, my hope will be that we get some nice plays/bounces and sweep the OT games and steal the series.

And if they can somehow beat CAR, the betting favorite for the Cup, then all of a sudden you start wondering....

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
You’re describing a team that doesn’t get it done consistently. It’s been that way through 2 head coaches and now onto Patrick Roy..

This is a mid team. The roster has been flawed for years and continues to be this season. The standings have said so since Lou got here 5 years ago. The Islanders best quality is that they scratch and claw for wins, They certainly don’t win because of their talent.
I agree that they're a mid team record wise. But the Isles are a talented mid team performance wise, in that they can beat great teams and it's not out of the realm of possibility that they can beat the Canes in a seven game series. Unlikely, but possible. Whereas there are lots of mid teams with records similar to the Isles that would have zero chance of beating the Canes in a series.
That said, rework/rebuild, whatever, this team needs lots of changes in the off-season.

FWIW as we head into the playoffs...

Coaching Stats 23-24:
  • Lane Lambert (45 games): 19-15-11 (.544)
  • Patrick Roy (37 games): 20-12-5 (.608)
True, but it took awhile for them to learn the new system. I read that their defensive metrics improved dramatically over the past two months.

Reactions: Potvottier

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Vegas giving WSH too much credit and NYI not enough. Line on NYR/WSH is -450/+335, line on Isles/Canes is -400/+300. I guess maybe its more they're giving WSH too much credit and NYR too little. I think line on this series is about right but they underplayed the other one

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
I agree that they're a mid team record wise. But the Isles are a talented mid team performance wise, in that they can beat great teams and it's not out of the realm of possibility that they can beat the Canes in a seven game series. Unlikely, but possible. Whereas there are lots of mid teams with records similar to the Isles that would have zero chance of beating the Canes in a series.
That said, rework/rebuild, whatever, this team needs lots of changes in the off-season.

True, but it took awhile for them to learn the new system. I read that their defensive metrics improved dramatically over the past two months.
If you break the league up into three tiers, the Isles are definitely in the middle tier. But towards the top of the middle tier.

Reactions: Potvottier

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Anyone bother picking up extra tickets in the presale? I guess one way to dissuade scalping is over price tickets above market value.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Anyone bother picking up extra tickets in the presale? I guess one way to dissuade scalping is over price tickets above market value.
While the season ticket holders sell for a small profit on TickPick. That’s where some comparative bargains can be found now.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
These prices are insane for a first round game. Last year I got face value tickets for around 120. Right now the cheapest face value tickets for a round one game are 210. This years team is worth almost double the price for a first round game? Tickets in Carolina are going almost half that and they are one of the best teams in the league.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
IDK if I agree 100% with your analysis. CAR can outplay the Isles overall, but the Isles can still win if they score more goals than CAR in 4 games.

I agree on this.

These prices are insane for a first round game. Last year I got face value tickets for around 120. Right now the cheapest face value tickets for a round one game are 210. This years team is worth almost double the price for a first round game? Tickets in Carolina are going almost half that and they are one of the best teams in the league.

and Parking is now $100

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
On paper, this is not a good series for the Isles.

Carolina is one of the best teams in the league 5 on 5, 2nd best PP, and 2nd best PK.
Their blueline scores a lot of goals and are very active jumping into the play. They also have 2 shutdown pairs.
The Canes' goaltending is suspect, but at the moment Freddie is playing top of his game.
Jordan Staal unit will be on every time the Horvat - Barzal line is on - and with Svechnikov on that line - it also has a serious scoring threat.
Isles must have active D jumping into the play
Isles must establish a strong neutral zone forecheck
STAY out of the box

Negatives -
Cizikas is a strong forechecker and brings speed that Lee and Fasching do not bring to that line. The line has played well, but unfortunately, to overcome a checking line of Staal - Svech - Martinook - they will need more than what Cizikas can bring.
PK has gotten slightly better, but it is still struggling
PP has hit a snag and needs to find its groove
Dobson needs to be ready to go
Sorokin mental rest is needed but eventually will need to be ready when - not if - he is needed to step in.

Positives -
Nelson's line getting hot could not have come at a better time - Nelson and Palmieri need to have a big series and they need to come out guns blazing... which may pull the Staal line focus away from Horvat and Barzal.
UBS needs to be a fortress
Both Varly and Sorokin will be needed to pull this off
4 days - a mini-training camp before the first game of the playoffs to give Roy more time to address D zone, neutral zone forecheck, puck possession hockey, and special teams.
Old Time Hockey - JGP, Clutter, Martin, and Lee will undoubtedly come out ready to do some damage. Grinding and hitting and wearing this Canes team down.
Kuznetsov has not fit in as well as they have liked and Brind'amour may be forcing a fit that doesn't really work out in the end and maybe takes too long to make a change.

Changes - I'd like to see -
Holmstrom on the Horvat - Barzal line
Taking a deeper look at Rusty skating with Nelson and Palmieri
Cizikas Cing Maclean and Clutterbuck
Barzal playing PK - PK effectiveness this year has been all about getting more speed and pressure against opposing PP units - it isn't about blocking shots and active sticks anymore- it has been about pressure and an aggressive style of play.
Horvat - Barzal, Pageau - Holmstrom, Cizikas - Clutterbuck would be my 3 units.

Prediction - Canes in 5 or Isles in 7

Canes line up
  • Guentzel - Aho - Jarvis
  • Martinook - Staal - Svechnikov
  • Teravainen - Drury - Necas
  • Noesen - Kuznetsov - Fast
  • Slavin - Burns
  • Skjei - Pesce
  • Orlov - Chatfield
Isles line up
  • Cizikas - Horvat - Barzal
  • Holmstrom - Nelson - Palmieri
  • Lee - Pageau - Engvall
  • Martin - Maclean - Clutterbuck
  • Romanov - Dobson
  • Pelech - Pulock
  • Reilly - Bortuzzo
I happen to agree I’d like to Barzal on PK but that’s a next year thing, they aren’t going to try it in playoff series. They are going to miss Pageau especially on defensive zone draws. I doubt we see Iskhakov unless they are down 3-0 or something like that where it’s just desperation.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
IDK if I agree 100% with your analysis. CAR can outplay the Isles overall, but the Isles can still win if they score more goals than CAR in 4 games.
Disagree eleventy billion percent.

They need to score more goals in 4 of at most 7 individual games, since they could win one game 100-0 and lose the rest 1-0 and the Isles will still have lost despite scoring more goals in 4 games

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If you break the league up into three tiers, the Isles are definitely in the middle tier. But towards the top of the middle tier.
The middle tier is also like 3/4 of the league.
Disagree eleventy billion percent.

They need to score more goals in 4 of at most 7 individual games, since they could win one game 100-0 and lose the rest 1-0 and the Isles will still have lost despite scoring more goals in 4 games
In 4 games, not over 4 games.

Reactions: doublechili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad