Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I, for one, am happy the isles get to play at least four more games than half the league.
I also love that on Game 82, Lou’s team is playing and Dubas’ is not. And Lou took his teams farther than Dubas’ teams, despite Lou handing him a talented, but flawed group.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I also love that on Game 82, Lou’s team is playing and Dubas’ is not. And Lou took his teams farther than Dubas’ teams, despite Lou handing him a talented, but flawed group.
I don't understand the antipathy. Why wouldn't you want someone to do well? Is it just because he's with another franchise?

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
One team is 45-28-8. The other team is 38-27-16. There’s no comparison.

Be better Lou.
One team was also coached by Lane Lambert for over half the season. I can understand the belief that this is a flawed roster, but I think many are discrediting what that same roster has been able to do under Roy. 21-12-5 is a much better clip than they put up under Lambert, no?

Also, someone posted that the Isles were 3rd in the league against the top 7 teams for the season. How can anyone say we don't have a punchers chance against anybody?

For me, the series boils down to execution. We have seen how strong the Isles can be when they're on, and how abysmal they can be when they're not (pretty much like the other 31 teams in the league). If they're on for at least 4 out of the 7, I believe they have it in them to pull it out. Let's hope St Patrick has them ready to go.

LGI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
One team was also coached by Lane Lambert for over half the season. I can understand the belief that this is a flawed roster, but I think many are discrediting what that same roster has been able to do under Roy. 21-12-5 is a much better clip than they put up under Lambert, no?

Also, someone posted that the Isles were 3rd in the league against the top 7 teams for the season. How can anyone say we don't have a punchers chance against anybody?

For me, the series boils down to execution. We have seen how strong the Isles can be when they're on, and how abysmal they can be when they're not (pretty much like the other 31 teams in the league). If they're on for at least 4 out of the 7, I believe they have it in them to pull it out. Let's hope St Patrick has them ready to go.

LGI
You’re describing a team that doesn’t get it done consistently. It’s been that way through 2 head coaches and now onto Patrick Roy..

This is a mid team. The roster has been flawed for years and continues to be this season. The standings have said so since Lou got here 5 years ago. The Islanders best quality is that they scratch and claw for wins, They certainly don’t win because of their talent.

Reactions: Ishkabible

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

Toronto would’ve won the cup with Lou and that core.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Toronto would’ve won the cup with Lou and that core.
I 100% agree that if Lou stayed on as GM for another 2-3 seasons TML would have had a stellar chance at it. But, Shanahan used him and was hoping he would set the table for him/Dubas to be be crowned (with Lou getting no credit as the builder).

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I don't understand the antipathy. Why wouldn't you want someone to do well? Is it just because he's with another franchise?
Generally, all for people doing well. However, Dubas is a ladderclimber / spinmeister type that’s very self serving, constantly curating his image, and always working his next opportunity. Shanahan worked the corporate angle, he worked the media.

His whole Toronto exit was a guy unraveling while trying to play both TML and PIT. Not surprising he played his cards to a 7 year deal, titles, etc. with a team owned by a PE firm. He’s right up their alley. And brought his lackey Spezza with him.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think the production from the Horvat line will have something do do with what to do with how the middle 6 shapes up. I believe that Barzal has been playing through an injury. Lately his skating looks off. Also, having Cizikas on the Horvat line makes me nauseous. If we need more scoring, I would reunite Engval, Nelson and Palms.
That seems confirmed by his rest. I was wondering too because he was playing with more caution with the puck, but Barzal doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve anymore. Honestly, it shows me that when he gets older & loses a step, he's still going to be a very effective player. Not everybody is able to adjust their game according to what their body can do.

Reactions: mm11 and MJF

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
If we're going to have a real chance at the upset, Pelech/Pulock are going to have to revert to their form from a few years ago. Their collective decline is a huge part of the team's post-Trotz regression. Not sure if it's a physical thing on their end or a coaching/system thing.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But I was told the metro was the shittiest?
Metro is the parity-est division. There's a clear dropoff in talent after the Rangers and Hurricanes. The Capitals, Penguins, Islanders, Flyers are fairly similar. Especially if you factor out the 2 aging Hall of Famers on the Caps and Pens.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If we're going to have a real chance at the upset, Pelech/Pulock are going to have to revert to their form from a few years ago. Their collective decline is a huge part of the team's post-Trotz regression. Not sure if it's a physical thing on their end or a coaching/system thing.
I think Pulock has actually been excellent and I think Pelech isn't at the top of his game but has been playing well. I think the two concussions messed Pelech up more than we give credit for.

Reactions: Potvottier

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
5pm? Thats right in the middle of the day!! I was gunna buy sneakers Saturday!
ce5b2557-1698-48d5-adcb-b8795e41e819_text.gif

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
When will the rest of the east round 1 schedule come out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad