Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I don’t buy into the Isles being heavy underdogs. I think they will thrive in that role.

Get Dobson healthy and fight the rip tides.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeeesh lots of confidence flowing around here LGI. Gonna be tough to keep up with the canes.
I think we're looking for Varlamov to give us a Binnington miracle run for us to advance in the playoffs. Just the way Lou drew it up, hot goalie and some good breaks.

View attachment 853612

Whoooaaaaa!

Somebody here in one of the threads sooo called this yesterday.

Damn, they would give the Isles an noon time playoff game.

Welp, there's the first loss of the series...
Isles are too ugly for prime time.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
I would be truly surprised if Matt Martin is not in the line-up for Game 1 of the series. I think the only question is whether it's Fasching or Holmstrom who dresses. And hopefully Dobson is ready to go!
Wonder if we'll see the MC2 line reunited at all during these playoffs. Could be their swan song...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The expectations for Engvall‘s play need to be ratcheted down.

I only hope that he doesn’t embarrass himself or the team. He’s soft as an ice cream cone on a hot summer day. There’s going to be more physicality and battling along the boards come playoff time. He’s awful at that. I’d love to be proven wrong.
The Hurricanes aren't overly physical. What they are is quick with the puck and with some good skaters. I expect with Roy keeping the fire lit under Engvall's ass that he will have another good series because he'll create room to skate.

Reactions: Strummergas

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Wonder if we'll see the MC2 line reunited at all during these playoffs. Could be their swan song...

Isles need to be careful to avoid taking stupid penalties. Game 4 last year was the turning point in the series (along with 3rd period of Game 6). Isles came out flying, crowd was going nuts, and the team took a whole bunch of stupid penalties and they never really recovered from that.

I like seeing Cizikas playing on the scoring line and I worry that bringing back the "identity" line is going to lead to too much Isles PK time, especially during the LI games.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Isles need to be careful to avoid taking stupid penalties. Game 4 last year was the turning point in the series (along with 3rd period of Game 6). Isles came out flying, crowd was going nuts, and the team took a whole bunch of stupid penalties and they never really recovered from that.

I like seeing Cizikas playing on the scoring line and I worry that bringing back the "identity" line is going to lead to too much Isles PK time, especially during the LI games.
Especially with CAR having the #2 PP and Isles with last PK.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If they can hold them to 2 goals in 4/7 games they can win the series. I have a hard time seeing them with this series of they have to score 4+ goals twice.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think things would have to be going very bad for the Isles for this were to happen for an extended period. But I guess it is possible for the odd shift here and there.
I wonder, if 18-44-27 don’t create many scoring chances will we see Engvall rejoin Nelson and Palmieri. With Brock getting hot again, 18-29-21 might be a good play.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I wonder, if 18-44-27 don’t create many scoring chances will we see Engvall rejoin Nelson and Palmieri. With Brock getting hot again, 18-29-21 might be a good play.
Was also thinking about this. Lee and Palmieri together on one line is a huge liability vs. the Canes. the problem is that making that move recreates the problem with Lee-JPG-Fasching. The only other solution is to rejuggle to:

Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Palms-Nelson-Engvall
Cizikas-JGP-Fasching

But the problem there is Lee doesn't keep up with Horvat/Barzal like Cizikas does. It's a not enough talent problem.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Was also thinking about this. Lee and Palmieri together on one line is a huge liability vs. the Canes. the problem is that making that move recreates the problem with Lee-JPG-Fasching. The only other solution is to rejuggle to:

Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Palms-Nelson-Engvall
Cizikas-JGP-Fasching

But the problem there is Lee doesn't keep up with Horvat/Barzal like Cizikas does. It's a not enough talent problem.
I think the production from the Horvat line will have something do do with what to do with how the middle 6 shapes up. I believe that Barzal has been playing through an injury. Lately his skating looks off. Also, having Cizikas on the Horvat line makes me nauseous. If we need more scoring, I would reunite Engval, Nelson and Palms.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
All I gotta say is "Goal-tending".
Some Have it and Some do not.
Isles in 6

Would love to agree with you here, but you know what's equally as important as goal-tending, perhaps even moreso?

Solid, consistent, D-fense.

Some have it and some dont.

We don't.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Damn hurricanes. They’re really good. I’m not too confident. Just gonna enjoy the ride. Let’s f***ing go!!

Proper attitude.

with the year we had, playoffs is kinda gravy on top.

butterscotch, always choose butterscotch.

Reactions: SI90

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Make the playoffs and everyone is crapping all over the team again. My lord.

Buffalo and Ottawa were supposed to make the playoffs. Jersey was supposed to win the Cup and be a juggernaut skating/scoring machine. Yet, here are the old, slow, can’t score, can’t defend, can’t do anything right Islanders in the playoffs.

Maybe this team has something those other fancy teams do not have. It’s not sexy, but they get the job done. Can’t say that about those other teams.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Dobson coming back hopefully by game 1. I think it helps to start on Sunday than Saturday at the very least

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016

Buffalo and Ottawa were supposed to make the playoffs. Jersey was supposed to win the Cup and be a juggernaut skating/scoring machine. Yet, here are the old, slow, can’t score, can’t defend, can’t do anything right Islanders in the playoffs.

Maybe this team has something those other fancy teams do not have. It’s not sexy, but they get the job done. Can’t say that about those other teams.
Ok, but are we playing Buffalo/Ottawa/Jersey in Round 1?

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Maybe those who said the isles are old, slow, can’t score, can’t defend, can’t do anything right, were wrong?

Reactions: Potvottier

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
No, but those other teams were supposed to be better than the Isles in even making the playoffs. Yet, here they are.
I’m just not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand that you seem to be taking issue with: people who don’t feel great about the team’s chances vs. Carolina.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Don't think the canes take us lightly, last year we did take a pound of flesh and man game 6 was ours too. Lambert just sat on that lead. Anyway, different year and the canes are better. Gonna be very tough. LGI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Might not be a bad play to move 10 with 14 and 13, reunite 18 with 29 and 21, and then go with 27 with 44 and 53.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I’m just not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand that you seem to be taking issue with: people who don’t feel great about the team’s chances vs. Carolina.
Same ‘feeling’ all season long about making the playoffs. Guess it never ends with that ‘feeling.’

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Maybe this team has something those other fancy teams do not have.

Barzal

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Same ‘feeling’ all season long about making the playoffs. Guess it never ends with that ‘feeling.’
Make the playoffs in Game 81 with a team that is ostensibly worse than last year’s version. Even after a coaching change.

Sorry if I can’t keep up with the others taking their victory lap.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Make the playoffs in Game 81 with a team that is ostensibly worse than last year’s version. Even after a coaching change.

Sorry if I can’t keep up with the others taking their victory lap.
Technically this is a better team than last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad