Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Isles are definite underdogs here, which suits this team. But I feel like Hurricanes are a tough match up for this squad and outside of one of the goalies stealing a few games (which both are capable of) I don't have a lot of confidence Isles can win this series - but I'll be cheering for them the whole way.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Lets beat up Guentzel and Aho.

I BELIEVE

Pshaw to that! :sarcasm:

I rather rely on our fellow Metal Mongolians for a Shamanistic calling requesting aid from our ancestors in the spiritual realm… Bossy, Gilles and J.Potvin.

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
Skjermbilde 2024-04-17 111056.png

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I would be truly surprised if Matt Martin is not in the line-up for Game 1 of the series. I think the only question is whether it's Fasching or Holmstrom who dresses. And hopefully Dobson is ready to go!

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
Not so fast. Andersen has gone 9-1 since returning from injury.

Yes, Ready Freddy always falters due to injury...
I do not see him or anyone else on the Canes Goaltending squad that will out do our Goaltending Tandem.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Yes, Ready Freddy always falters due to injury...
I do not see him or anyone else on the Canes Goaltending squad that will out do our Goaltending Tandem.
You think going 9-1 with 1.30 GAA and 0.951 save % over those 10 games and now suddenly he’s going to shit the bed? I mean I certainly hope so, but doesn’t seem likely.

Keep reaching for those stars, cowboy

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
View attachment 853612

Whoooaaaaa!

Somebody here in one of the threads sooo called this yesterday.

Damn, they would give the Isles an noon time playoff game.

Welp, there's the first loss of the series...

Is "CordUp" a reliable source?

That said I would have bet money the Isles would've been dealt a 1pm or earlier start. We love the team, but if we're being honest us vs the Canes is just not as marketable as most of the other series. If I'm the NHL and I'm going to maximum ratings in prime time, one of the original 6 teams (or a series with superstars) is going late afternoon/evening on a weekend.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Is "CordUp" a reliable source?

That said I would have bet money the Isles would've been dealt a 1pm or earlier start. We love the team, but if we're being honest us vs the Canes is just not as marketable as most of the other series. If I'm the NHL and I'm going to maximum ratings in prime time, one of the original 6 teams (or a series with superstars) is going late afternoon/evening on a weekend.
While an isles canes series isn’t exactly palatable, I don’t see a rags Washington series as any more thrilling either. The other two series in the East would/should get prime time billing.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
While an isles canes series isn’t exactly palatable, I don’t see a rags Washington series as any more thrilling either. The other two series in the East would/should get prime time billing.
The New York Rangers vs Ovechkin at MSG? They're going to market the shit out of that.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Blueprint is the same as its always bene for this team the past decade. Steal one of the first two games via goaltending, puck luck or both. Give them hell in the 3 Long Island games. Maybe steal game 5 too.

Canes will relentless forecheck the Isles and make breaking out of the zone really difficult. Dobson and Barzal will need to be at the top of their games to give Isles some puck handling and a vertical threat. Engvall's recent play will need to carry over. Hate to say it, but he's a key player this series and can make the Canes pay for being over aggressive on the forecheck if he's at the top of his game.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It is hard to see this matchup as being anything but incredibly favorable to the Canes.

I think Varlamov's skill set is better vs. the Canes. Although neither are good playing the puck around/behind the net, Sorokin is too passive & helps his defenders out too little. Couple that with the fac that the Canes run a lot of their offense low to high with traffic. Varlamov is a bit better at that than Sorokin imo. But who knows.

Isles have the stay out of the box, duh. But in order to do that they're going to have to avoid getting hemmed in. And given the mobility/pinching of Carolina's D, and the relative lack of mobility of NYI's wingers other than on the Horvat line, that's a very tough ask.

NYI's best bet is to be patient, box out cleanly, keep the shots from the outside, and trust in the goalies. Because forcing the play very likely isn't going to work.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Engvall's recent play will need to carry over. Hate to say it, but he's a key player this series and can make the Canes pay for being over aggressive on the forecheck if he's at the top of his game.
You're right though. Engvall is one of the few guys with the skillset to counter what the Hurricanes do.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The expectations for Engvall‘s play need to be ratcheted down.

I only hope that he doesn’t embarrass himself or the team. He’s soft as an ice cream cone on a hot summer day. There’s going to be more physicality and battling along the boards come playoff time. He’s awful at that. I’d love to be proven wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad