GDT: Stanley Cup Finals | Game #4 | Boston Bruins @ St. Louis Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Bortuzzo compared with Edmundson has at least had some GIGANTIC offensive moments in both the Conference Finals and the Stanley Cup Final. Both goals were seismic; WCF came after Couture's 2 goals in 2 min to possibly have the Blues in a 2-0 hole. SCF came after Bruins were up 1-0 early in G2 and 1-0 in the series and ready to take momentum. He's also more physical.
Plus he allows everyone to play their side. I would like to see

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo.

pawnjohn

Jan 27, 2017
I think the decision to sit Bortz or Eddy has more to do with Dunn and Gunnar both playing injured than the debate of Eddy vs Bortz.

Dunn was obviously coming back from a serious injury and there was no telling how he was going to actually hold up to the physicality of the game. He could have easily taken 1 hit or another puck up high and then left the game early.

I also think that Gunnarsson is playing through a pretty significant injury as well. He was reported to have a lower body injury after the Dallas series and missed the first 3 games against San Jose. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that he actually came back before he was fully healed/ready due to the injury to Dunn.

Here are his game logs since he returned:
WCF Game 4 - 11:52
WCF Game 5 - 11:52
WCF Game 6 - 11:37
SCF Game 1 - 12:58
SCF Game 2 - 18:18 (OT)
SCF Game 3 - 12:44
SCF Game 4 - 16:28

In the previous series he averaged over 16 minutes in the 2 games against Winnipeg and over 15 in the Dallas series. I think he was injured in Game 4 of the Dallas series because he was closer to 18 minutes and then dropped to: 11, 13, 16 (2OT) in games 5-7.

If we sit Eddy and Dunn leaves the game early, Berube is stuck dividing Dunns minutes between Bouwmeester who is already playing 20-25 minutes, an injured Gunnarsson and then a mix of Petro/Parayko/Bortz playing on their offside. Over playing Gunnar could end up with him further injuring himself.

By sitting Bortz, we now have the option to split the minutes between 2 natural sided Defensemen in Gunnar and Eddy if Dunn goes down without over taxing an already laboring Gunnarsson. Between Petro and Parayko, who both play 25-30 minutes anyway, we still have the right side covered.

pawnjohn

Jan 27, 2017
It may also be due to the fact that they want to limit Dunn's exposure to the physicality of the Bruin's forecheck and risk of the taking another puck to the face blocking a shot.

I saw it tweeted somewhere last night, but it looked like Berube was rolling out Dunn-Petro pairing in the offensive zone, and Eddy-Petro in the defensive zone. This allows us to benefit from Dunn's offense, while minimizing the chances of him getting further injured.

Again, with Petro (29:37 minutes) + Parayko (27:53 minutes) eating up most of the ice time on the right, we really didn't need the extra RHS Dman out there.

It may be that Berube trusted Eddy on the left side over Bortz or just prefers to have all of the Dmen play their strong side whenever possible.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I feel like with all the other narratives on how the season has gone, Binnington, ROR, etc. Barbashev has somewhat been lost in conversation, but he has quietly had a breakout season and playoffs this year at 23 years old.
Barbie has been a hitting and fore checking machine. He always seems to have another gear in the playoffs.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It may also be due to the fact that they want to limit Dunn's exposure to the physicality of the Bruin's forecheck and risk of the taking another puck to the face blocking a shot.

I saw it tweeted somewhere last night, but it looked like Berube was rolling out Dunn-Petro pairing in the offensive zone, and Eddy-Petro in the defensive zone. This allows us to benefit from Dunn's offense, while minimizing the chances of him getting further injured.

Again, with Petro (29:37 minutes) + Parayko (27:53 minutes) eating up most of the ice time on the right, we really didn't need the extra RHS Dman out there.

It may be that Berube trusted Eddy on the left side over Bortz or just prefers to have all of the Dmen play their strong side whenever possible.
You make an excellent argument for the rationale.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Off a misfired breakout pass that happens to carom its way down into the empty net off a Bruins player, about 30 seconds before Boston scores with the goalie pulled to bring it back to within one.
I thought maybe he'd toe-pick and slide into the net, and Tarasenko bounced it off his ass. I'll take any of those scenarios, but I like yours better with less end-of-game stress.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Off a misfired breakout pass that happens to carom its way down into the empty net off a Bruins player, about 30 seconds before Boston scores with the goalie pulled to bring it back to within one.
That still describing a win. I don't care if we blow a 7-0 lead to 7-6, get an ENG to make it 8-6, then cough up another to make it 8-7. As long as in 2 of the next 3 games we finish with more goals than the Bruins, I'm great with however the hell it happens.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
That still describing a win. I don't care if we blow a 7-0 lead to 7-6, get an ENG to make it 8-6, then cough up another to make it 8-7. As long as in 2 of the next 3 games we finish with more goals than the Bruins, I'm great with however the hell it happens.
Can't be a Cup clinching goal if it isn't describing a win. ;)

I believe Toronto is the only team that's ever won the Cup while being outscored in the Finals (in 1945).

I wouldn't complain if the Blues became the second.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

I believe Toronto is the only team that's ever won the Cup while being outscored in the Finals (in 1945).

Like I said, I don't care how we get 2 more wins at this point. I don't care who for us scores those goals. Just score them and close this out.

And tbh, if we're talking Cup-clinching goals wouldn't it be a fantastic story if Bouwmeester finally got #1 for his playoff career that way.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Alex Pietrangelo, who had two assists, was a plus-3 and played arguably his best Stanley Cup Playoff game in 29:37 ice time.

Reactions: OSA

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

I would. It wouldn't be a real Cup. [lots of emojis that modify this statement so everyone knows I'm kidding]

Rarename91

Jan 18, 2019
Like I said, I don't care how we get 2 more wins at this point. I don't care who for us scores those goals. Just score them and close this out.

And tbh, if we're talking Cup-clinching goals wouldn't it be a fantastic story if Bouwmeester finally got #1 for his playoff career that way.
and if it just like that orr goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad