Series Talk: Stanley Cup Finals: Colorado Avalanche vs Tampa Bay Lightning | COL win 4-2

Winner?

• Avs in 4

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Avs in 5

Votes: 45 13.8%
  • Avs in 6

Votes: 123 37.7%
  • Avs in 7

Votes: 73 22.4%
  • Bolts in 4

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Bolts in 5

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Bolts in 6

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • Bolts in 7

Votes: 16 4.9%

• Total voters

Vakarte

May 30, 2022
If anything this core has proven they have what it takes.

If they lose, it’ll probably be on the goaltender. The area that needs to be improved will be clear.

And where do you think you'll find a good goaltender with little cap space we have this off-season?

TheGrimReaper

ten years gone
Aug 20, 2020
gallows pole
from the DP

It’s you against the swampy ice now, the way it became five against nine at times in Game 5. Especially after Cooper softened up the refs with an expert, almost surgical whine about Nazem Kadri’s overtime winner in Game 4.

Sure enough, down 3-1, the Lightning got away with everything short of battery this past Friday at Ball Arena. Tampa grabbed, poked, prodded and pinched wherever and whenever they could, a cornered beast with nothing to lose.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
from the DP

It’s you against the swampy ice now, the way it became five against nine at times in Game 5. Especially after Cooper softened up the refs with an expert, almost surgical whine about Nazem Kadri’s overtime winner in Game 4.

Sure enough, down 3-1, the Lightning got away with everything short of battery this past Friday at Ball Arena. Tampa grabbed, poked, prodded and pinched wherever and whenever they could, a cornered beast with nothing to lose.

I hate when someone embellish but at this point I think that's what the Avs gonna need to do. On the Makar breakaway you clearly see the stick hit Makar's gloves probably why he was so pissed off. We got the same exact thing called for us. I think it was Byram or Manson. I know this was on the moment and hard to not go through for a breakaway but if he showed pain on his hand that was 100% penalty which should've been to begin with.

Reactions: TheGrimReaper

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Let me present to you, reasons why reffing is absolute bullshit:

Each of the dots are a team in one year. Now what does it mean that they all more or less follow that line?
It means that at the end of the year, every single team, no matter whether fast or slow, skilled or not, physical or soft, good or bad, tanking or contending, etc. they will have almost the same amount of penalties drawn and penalties taken.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I wouldnt call that a 'defensive breakdown' that whole line decided to just take a shift off and stop playing. Can't do that in the SCF.
The way I saw it, it all started with a defensive pinch (Avs were going aggressive all period), leaving MacKinnon to cover Kucherov in a two on two the other way. MacKinnon allowed Kucherov a lot of space and deep zone penetration, because of course he's a forward back on D. From this point onward, the Avs never got their zone coverages reassigned and worked out, which is why they were scrambling. Ultimately, two skaters went to Hedman when he skated low, including Makar, who was supposed to cover the slot (Palat). Even in the postgame, Makar was quoted as saying that this breakdown could have been fixed with better communication.

BigCKU

Aug 16, 2020
Again, though, this series isn't really telling the full story analytically. Last game if you strictly looked at analytics you would think the Avalanche controlled the game.

When watching the game, the Lightning felt very much in control from the moment the puck dropped IMO.

I thought the entire game for the most part was evenly played. Neither team seemed to get a clear advantage. All 4 goals before the GWG scored were a bit fluky. Just took one defensive lapse and DK unable to get the stop to create the difference.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Had to take a break from HF after that last game. Really bummed me out how they lost that game as it was yet another self inflicted loss. The only way they seemingly lose this year and they can't afford to do it anymore.

Tonight I want to see the Avs play angry. Play with a chip on their shoulder. They know they're the better team, so take offense to everyone who thinks this is the Bolts outplaying them. Show them who the better team is.

I also want to see Nate play like Peter Forsberg tonight. If they're gonna get in your face and try to take away your space, skate right through them and power your way to the net. You're a bull Nate. You want to win the Cup? Be the guy to win it for everyone. Play like a bull tonight and you take home that silver chalice.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I thought the entire game for the most part was evenly played. Neither team seemed to get a clear advantage. All 4 goals before the GWG scored were a bit fluky. Just took one defensive lapse and DK unable to get the stop to create the difference.

Maybe you should re-watch Tampa’s first goal if you thought that was a fluke.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Again, though, this series isn't really telling the full story analytically. Last game if you strictly looked at analytics you would think the Avalanche controlled the game.

When watching the game, the Lightning felt very much in control from the moment the puck dropped IMO.

I thought the Avs looked a tad nervous to start last game. Then the refs thew game management out the window and gave Tampa a ton of early power plays and it took the Avs out of the game even more.

Tampa controlled a lot of the play early. Then the Avs started to take over and control a lot of the play in the second. Then it was even for a lot of the third until the one breakdown and another softy by DK.

I think the analytics were probably in favor of the Avs because when they were in control, they were pushing harder to score, and getting more shots than Tampa was. Tampa just tries to win every game by sitting back, dumping pucks in and out, waiting for you to make a mistake, and not even trying to score.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
don't even want to think about the offseason or any crap about blowing it up if we choke. 3-1 up in SCF with the team we have, you can't come any closer to this to winning the cup. Team better find a f***king way to get 1 game and close this shit out.
Avs have depth. They just need to use it this game. Last game, they really did not take advantage of the energy they can get from the 4th line.

I thought the Avs looked a tad nervous to start last game. Then the refs thew game management out the window and gave Tampa a ton of early power plays and it took the Avs out of the game even more.

Tampa controlled a lot of the play early. Then the Avs started to take over and control a lot of the play in the second. Then it was even for a lot of the third until the one breakdown and another softy by DK.

I think the analytics were probably in favor of the Avs because when they were in control, they were pushing harder to score, and getting more shots than Tampa was. Tampa just tries to win every game by sitting back, dumping pucks in and out, waiting for you to make a mistake, and not even trying to score.
"Tampa just tries to win every game by sitting back, dumping pucks in and out, waiting for you to make a mistake,"

Truer words have never been written............

Even Norris Makar makes mistakes.....

Reactions: Foppa2118

BigCKU

Aug 16, 2020
Maybe you should re-watch Tampa’s first goal if you thought that was a fluke.

Sorry fluke isn’t the correct word I should have used. Meant shots DK should not have lot through. Not a good scoring chance that DK let through.

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Sorry fluke isn’t the correct word I should have used. Meant shots DK should have lot through. Not a good scoring chance that DK let through.
I always look at how TB got the scoring opportunity. Fluke, luck, something out of nothing (rare) or mistake? Bottom line, the Avs need to play perfect in front of DK. That's all that is to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
And of course Kuemper won’t. If the Avs lose I doubt he’ll get more than 2-3M
If the Avs lose the cup, he will have trouble finding work on any serious contender. His career will be effectively black listed

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
If the Avs lose this series while having a 3-1 series lead, they need to blow up the core and trade major pieces. Or fire their coach and GM cause another year of disappointment is concerning + other teams will get massively better this coming off-season.
Starting with Girard, and maybe Moose and Mack if there is something worthwhile

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don't agree. Tampa Bay and Vasilevsky are just very good.

I would agree except that DK has been putrid the whole playoffs against every team. If the Avs lose the finals, he'll be marked as the primary reason why. Shit goalie.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I don't agree. Tampa Bay and Vasilevsky are just very good.
We're the best team in the league by a decent margin. Goaltending is our only weakness. Stats back that up. We've dominated Tampa in terms of corsi.

Kuemper is the weak link. Imagine being the goalie who lost the cup for the Avs team? Good luck getting a decent contract, Kuemper

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Blues fans/Oiler fans were brutal .. Tampa fans were great but man is the Tampa team just filled with whiners. Cooper was absolutely brutal as well. I liked Tampa before this series but it legitimately felt like they complained about every single call/goal.

Gotta beat the best to be the best. No better team to beat to win the cup right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad