Post-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Finals (Blues are the Champions)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As a die hard hockey fan I never thought I'd say this, but hockey is kind of a boring sport to watch. I enjoy it because I follow the game closely, but after watching the Raptors on their run, watching the NBA playoffs has been far more entertaining then the NHL playoffs.

Systems...overuse of heavy system play is sucking the life out of the sport. And with hitting going down (especially dangerous open-ice hitting), things are almost perfectly choreographed for systems, and less creativity needed because things rarely go astray. Hockey is best when there's a lot of chaos on the ice. That's when you see the really good smart and opportunistic players make plays out of nothing.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I thought the first round of the NHL was amazing. Problem is, the most exciting teams all got knocked out in the first 2 rounds.
Ya that first round is always incredible, and then the players wear each other down so much that the pace of the game really dies down.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
As a die hard hockey fan I never thought I'd say this, but hockey is kind of a boring sport to watch. I enjoy it because I follow the game closely, but after watching the Raptors on their run, watching the NBA playoffs has been far more entertaining then the NHL playoffs.
This is the first time I've watched any NBA play in about 30 years, and I have to say they've improved that game. It used to be all rebounding, rebounding, rebounding interspersed with fast break lay-ups/dunks (which really is not that exciting). The tactics now seem to be about moving the ball around quickly to spread out the defense and finding an open man for a 3-point shot, and always getting back quickly to prevent a fast break.

At the end of the day though, both sports are dramatically more entertaining when you are really cheering for one of the teams to win. If you're not rooting for one of the teams involved they are kind of dull.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Ice hockey is a bit like football (actual football, not runball) when compared to the other big sports in North America: they are far more team-based and a very subtle move can completely change everything.

MLB, the NBA and the NFL are very flashy and it is easy to get swept along. Nothing wrong with that but calling hockey boring is silly.

There is a reason stop'n'go sports are so popular: they are easy to follow since the flow of the game itself tells you when to pay attention. People tend to consider having to continously pay attention boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad