Post-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Finals (Blues are the Champions)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They are so far out in front of us either way.

definitely they are ahead of us

they also have a problem in that they've spent their load, assembled a team with structural issues and in the process may have locked themselves into a structure that cannot win 16 games and blown their lottery win in the process

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Was cheering for the Bruins but they came up short. Happy to see the Blues win. Maybe the Leafs should have kept Bozak and spent some of the Tavares doe on their D and had the funds to sign Marner and a couple of the other young forwards that could be casaualties.

The Leafs spends on Tavares and Marlow are going to haunt them in the future unless they can make a trade to shed those contracts.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed.
The blues have:
- two very good faceoff guys in ROR & Bozak which helped them win possession throughout the playoffs including against the best faceoff guy in the NHl for the last number of yrs. ROR may have taken that mantel now.
- four big, strong, tough skilled defencemen who can all skate & push the pace, they can clear the front of their net & contribute offensively, it's a hard combo to beat.
- a number of big hitters at forward & they continued to punish Boston's defence especially there smaller defencemen (Krug, McAvoy & Clifton) to force turnovers.
- great consistent goaltending throughout the playoffs & the ability to come up big in big games. Full marks to them & their coach who coached great since he was hired.

The Bruins offence dried up at the worse possible time in game 7 & Binnington played great.

I think Binnigton's play was the key for the games he won, particularly the last game as the Bruins had plenty of excellent scoring chances in the first period and if they connected on those the game would have been very different with Boston likely winning.
Binnington was not that consistent throughout the 7 game series with some lopsided games against him.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
First time in probably 20 years that I can recall being completely uninterested in a cup finals. I didn't watch a single minute of a Game 7 Cup Finals game. That sounds crazy for me to even type. Usually games like last night are what you live for as a hockey fan.

It's been a rough year to be a hockey fan. This year has so overwhelming that I think I just needed the season to be over like a month ago already.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
First time in probably 20 years that I can recall being completely uninterested in a cup finals. I didn't watch a single minute of a Game 7 Cup Finals game. That sounds crazy for me to even type. Usually games like last night are what you live for as a hockey fan.

It's been a rough year to be a hockey fan. This year has so overwhelming that I think I just needed the season to be over like a month ago already.

I was half checked out after round 1 and fully checked out after round 2

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

On the bright side next season starts next week.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Can we just skip next season? Not gonna be much fun for Senators fans.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
At least we can't be disappointed: almost all of us expect a bottom 3 finish.

I'll be focusing on Chabot, White and Tkachuk's progress.
The UFA's being dealt with and not hanging over the season should change the mood a fair amount. It felt like the whole season was a side story to the real situation at hand.

The 1st round pick being ours this time around should also help to take a lot of the black cloud away.

I'm not excited for next season personally, but at least there's some reasons to watch this time around.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
The UFA's being dealt with and not hanging over the season should change the mood a fair amount. It felt like the whole season was a side story to the real situation at hand.

The 1st round pick being ours this time around should also help to take a lot of the black cloud away.

I'm not excited for next season personally, but at least there's some reasons to watch this time around.

I would say this is highly conditional on how their "run at signing Chabot" goes. If he's asking more than we are willing to pay, we'll be right back into chaos mode.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I would say this is highly conditional on how their "run at signing Chabot" goes. If he's asking more than we are willing to pay, we'll be right back into chaos mode.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm fully expecting more drama at some point and their comments on Chabot don't fill me much with confidence.

I just found last year felt completely pointless with their situations in the air, it was basically just a matter of waiting 6 months to see what was going to happen with the UFA's.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Blues Cup win is reminiscent of the Sens run 2 years ago if OT in game 7 against the Pens had gone differently.

It reminds me more of the Hammond run if we didn't get jobbed to Montreal with the disallowed Pageau goal. We were in the basement of the league, or near it, and a hot goalie brought us into the playoffs with a miraculous run.

With that said, I don't think our team in either the Hammond or the 2017 run compare to the Blues lineup. In both runs, we played way above our skill level. This year when the Blues were losing, they were playing way below their skill level. The team the Blues were in the playoffs was much closer to their reality than the Senators of 2017.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

As a die hard hockey fan I never thought I'd say this, but hockey is kind of a boring sport to watch. I enjoy it because I follow the game closely, but after watching the Raptors on their run, watching the NBA playoffs has been far more entertaining then the NHL playoffs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As a die hard hockey fan I never thought I'd say this, but hockey is kind of a boring sport to watch. I enjoy it because I follow the game closely, but after watching the Raptors on their run, watching the NBA playoffs has been far more entertaining then the NHL playoffs.
I thought the first round of the NHL was amazing. Problem is, the most exciting teams all got knocked out in the first 2 rounds.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Love the airplane picture. A definite upside to a road win, the plane ride home with just the team, the trophy and euphoria!

Great win, I was pulling for the Blues all the way. Very happy for them.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I thought the first round of the NHL was amazing. Problem is, the most exciting teams all got knocked out in the first 2 rounds.
Exciting hockey is for the regular season. :laugh: Unfortunately the playoffs are about following a system, stretching the rules to the limit and winning any way you can.

That said, I do believe in the words of Bill Belichick and that the goal is to build the best team, not collect the most talent. Obviously you can't win without talent but you don't need to be stacked with it at the expense of other elements of the game/team.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->