Pre-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Final: New York Rangers vs. Los Angeles Kings | Game 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I have trouble believing this team will let this series slip in to a potential sweep situation. This could easily be 2-0 or 1-1 coming back to MSG versus 0-2.

Let's see what this team is really made of. Champions overcome adversity and the Rangers have all playoffs.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
On my way to work and someone said, "All Kings have is Doughty."

lulwut

I've been hearing some of the DUMBEST things on the train and on the streets these days :laugh:

I really, really don't mind the bandwagon. I encourage it - outside of ticket price demand :rant: - but come on, people. You don't know enough to talk about it (look in the mirror, I know ;) )

I find it interesting that Doughty logged 41:41 last game. Even with the OT and a half. That's on home ice. AV should be able to have his way with some of these matchups, and DD is going to have to log a TON of minutes for Sutter.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Except for the first period of game 1.. Rangers didnt really play all that well.

What games have you been watching. I can say the reverse is true, except for the third periods the Rangers have been driving play and if it wasn't for an incompetent ref the series would be tied.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
So kings blew a 2-0 series lead against the ducks and they were going home and it went to 7.. then they had a 3-1 lead against the hawks and let it go to 7.. they like sleeping on their leads.. we will win tonight.. I GUARANTEE it

AHB*

So kings blew a 2-0 series lead against the ducks and they were going home and it went to 7.. then they had a 3-1 lead against the hawks and let it go to 7.. they like sleeping on their leads.. we will win tonight.. I GUARANTEE it

Will you score a 3rd period hat trick also? :sarcasm:

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
LGR! No more shooting ourselves in the foot!

Full steam ahead.

To those going! Get loud, want to hear a big MSG crowd as I listen on the radio.

BarbaraAlphanse

It took me a day to lick my wounds and overcome Saturday's loss completely. Saturday night was pretty brutal, the anger and disbelief only exacerbated by the free shots that Stout was giving after every Rangers goal to go along with the 10+ drinks I had from Belmont to about 10.

Yesterday I went to a winery in Suffolk and the guy who was giving us the flight was, as luck may have it, a diehard Rangers fan. He gave us about 4-5 extra vintage tastes just because I was able to sympathize and discuss Saturday night's game with him.

I've been a member here since I don't know like 2006/2007, posted sporadically until about this year. It is usually unbearable to witness the mood swings and catastrophic dramatization that occurs here and until this year, I really wasn't able to not give a **** about how other people took wins/losses and sudden changes in fortune.

As with many people here, I was enchanted by the '11-'12 Rangers team. I'm 22 years old, just graduated BC. Despite being alive for the '94 cup, that is a mere technicality, as I have absolutely no memory of it. I have to live vicariously through my dad. But the '11-'12 team was fundamentally flawed, and after a few weeks of getting over the fact that we lost to not only an inferior team, but the much maligned and hated Devil's, I was able to comprehend the fatal flaw(s) of that Rangers team. We traded for Nash, at the time I was at my summer job when the news broke out and it took me about 45 minutes to contain my excitement. In my opinion, one of our flaws was a lack of scoring talent. We had just gotten some.

The only form of hockey success that I had been able to witness was when the Boston College Eagles won the national title my sophomore year, Kreider's last year. In (omen) concordance with that championship, the Rangers were finally the most dominant team that I had witnessed in my life, Kreider was being rumored to come help them in the playoffs, and I took it as the sign that they had to win it all - it was so clear.

Fast forward to this year, and I began posting on here more frequently. I've probably tallied up 3k posts here over the span of about 10 months - a total unthinkable to myself and to the chagrin of my girlfriend who would ban this site from existence on any of the means of internet connectivity I have if it was possible. Before the year started, I had told her father that we would win the cup. The first few months were rough, and while deep down somewhere I still wanted to believe, I began letting off steam. How could this happen to a team so talented only a year ago? I pinpointed this year's problem to a lack of resilience. There was a thread around Nov/Dec that I started with my anger that this team had then currently lacked what it took to come back down from games - to fight for one another. Around December, I started noticing that they began incorporating this character trait on a more frequent basis and to go along with this, my excitement and belief that had been laying dormant for several months began to return.

Since about January, I've refused to believe that this team wasn't capable of making a dent in this year's playoffs. Mocked and even ridiculed by many on this board for being so "naive" and even purportedly "unable to understand hockey" for my estimations and predictions, my faith in the team only grew. Teams of destiny usually defy the current of the stream and if this year's Rangers squad was a team of destiny, they would shock everyone.

The playoffs came and for every series I began taking a few hours out of a day to research as much as I could about our opposing teams. I'd write a comprehensive review that for every series showed us as favorites, although I was careful not to include my final prediction in any of those - by nature, I am incredibly superstitious. I had the Rangers in 5, Rangers in 7, and Rangers in 6 for all 3 of those series' before they all began. Close enough.

And similarly to those past 3 series', I wrote a review comparing us to the LA Kings. And in it I believed that we would be the more dominant team in this series. Ultimately, I thought that we would win in 6 games. We're faster, fresher, and have the best goaltender in the world - is a barebones reflection of what I wrote about a week ago (although I had about 12-15 points that I highlighted on that characterized us as the unlikely favorites).

I was disappointed but not surprised by losing the first game. I was shocked at how we lost in game 2. And while my faith did not flicker it was hard not to throw a major pity party. I've never seen this team win it all, truth be told every team that I support (besides that BC Eagles team) has been snake bitten (Rangers, Jets, Mets, Knicks).

It occurred to me that this is part of the process. There are all types of fans that range in avidity. I consider myself a diehard (most avid) for the Rangers. And what type of fan would I be if I only supported the team when they were successful? That would make me a fair-weather fan, and I sure as hell did not begin supporting this team right during its inception of the dark ages ('98-'04) to consider myself a fair-weather fan. It also occurred to me that glory only tastes so sweet and is declared so triumphant because of the failures and disappointments encountered along the way. It wouldn't be as significant if there wasn't adversity that needed to be overcome.

I know it's a common point for many of us to address how the Rangers "never make anything easy"... but given the option, I doubt many, if any of us, would prefer the easy route in winning a championship. The hardships are what make anything special memorable... and we sure as hell have had one memorable season and post season this year.

I woke up this morning, more confident than ever that we would win tonight. We will win tonight. This is a team of destiny. And no amount of negativity or wound licking will dissuade me from this notion. We have been faster, fresher, more dominant in 7 of the 9 periods we have played in. And the unlucky bounces that have gone the Kings way are purely meant to test this team's will on their path to achieving something that for some of us, we have never seen - a cup victory.

And in the event that I am wrong, that we lose this game and ultimately this series, this team's core is still in its youth. This is an invaluable experience for everyone involved. And we have arguably a top 5 coach in the league that just came from a pressure cooker in Canada and led them to 5 very successful teams that ultimately choked because of one un-clutch goaltender. We will be back, we will be built slightly better (no dead-weight... i'm looking at you Brad Richards), and we will be a very dominant team in a conference that is primed to only get worse during our projected years to contend for the cup (next 2-5).

There are only positives to take away from this.

But, not to deviate from the task at hand tonight and for the next 1.5 weeks (hopefully)... this is our night, this is our year, and all of the adversity that we face will turn into pride in the coming days.

I refuse to believe that this team will lay down and die, it is not their M.O. I refuse to believe that the Kings will deviate from their lack of killer instinct to bury us. I refuse to believe that their legs aren't shot and they'll be getting slower and more tired with each coming game, this one included.

We will win tonight. That is all. LGR.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Can the Rangers win this series? Yes.

But they should be tied 1-1 at the very least.

I've never been so disappointed/frustrated/furious watching a game in my life. So difficult. The last time I had that much heartache was when Drury netted a game tying goal with 7 seconds left and then Buffalo went on to win the game in OT and then the series. I just sat their motionless with a blank stare and a pit in my throat. How they gave up 3 two goal leads to this team, when they havent done it in the past is mind boggling. Everything had to break right for the Kings including many non calls in the favor. Ridiculous. This is my first post in 3 days. Game 2 ruined the end of my weekend, completely. What is it with OT's and the Rangers? What the **** is their postseason record the last 5 years? 4-18 or something. Stupid.

But the Rangers had their chances to end it. Many chances. I think Kreider had 4. Richards was an abomination. I think he was on the ice for 4 goals. No extra effort in all of them. The stats and the jinxes Emrick was putting on the Rangers throughout the game was coinciding with the Kings coming back. Its like he planned it that way. I still cant believe this series isnt tied. This is harder then i thought it would be. Its such our luck to get this far to have the bounces go completely against us. **** it.

The Rangers season ends tonight if they lose. No way they come back from 3-0. Not the way this has gone. Not only do they have to win tonight they have to win Game 4 as well. then we can start talking about a comeback. Make the Kings blow a 2-0 lead. ****ing ridiculous.

Win the ****ing game tonight. I dont care if it sloppy, perfect. I could care less about style points. I dont care if they score 4 powerplay goals or none. I dont care if the score is 12-11. I dont care its 1-0. Just ****ing win.

Nash Money

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2012
It's hard mentally to feel you should be looking at a 2-0 lead, and instead be looking at a 2-0 hole. I hope the leaders don't let the team have a pity party over getting screwed, but rather get them pissed and ready to play. We're not good enough to just will our way to wins, we have to play smart. Let's hold serve and make this a best of 3.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
It took me a day to lick my wounds and overcome Saturday's loss completely. Saturday night was pretty brutal, the anger and disbelief only exacerbated by the free shots that Stout was giving after every Rangers goal to go along with the 10+ drinks I had from Belmont to about 10.

Yesterday I went to a winery in Suffolk and the guy who was giving us the flight was, as luck may have it, a diehard Rangers fan. He gave us about 4-5 extra vintage tastes just because I was able to sympathize and discuss Saturday night's game with him.

I've been a member here since I don't know like 2006/2007, posted sporadically until about this year. It is usually unbearable to witness the mood swings and catastrophic dramatization that occurs here and until this year, I really wasn't able to not give a **** about how other people took wins/losses and sudden changes in fortune.

As with many people here, I was enchanted by the '11-'12 Rangers team. I'm 22 years old, just graduated BC. Despite being alive for the '94 cup, that is a mere technicality, as I have absolutely no memory of it. I have to live vicariously through my dad. But the '11-'12 team was fundamentally flawed, and after a few weeks of getting over the fact that we lost to not only an inferior team, but the much maligned and hated Devil's, I was able to comprehend the fatal flaw(s) of that Rangers team. We traded for Nash, at the time I was at my summer job when the news broke out and it took me about 45 minutes to contain my excitement. In my opinion, one of our flaws was a lack of scoring talent. We had just gotten some.

The only form of hockey success that I had been able to witness was when the Boston College Eagles won the national title my sophomore year, Kreider's last year. In (omen) concordance with that championship, the Rangers were finally the most dominant team that I had witnessed in my life, Kreider was being rumored to come help them in the playoffs, and I took it as the sign that they had to win it all - it was so clear.

Fast forward to this year, and I began posting on here more frequently. I've probably tallied up 3k posts here over the span of about 10 months - a total unthinkable to myself and to the chagrin of my girlfriend who would ban this site from existence on any of the means of internet connectivity I have if it was possible. Before the year started, I had told her father that we would win the cup. The first few months were rough, and while deep down somewhere I still wanted to believe, I began letting off steam. How could this happen to a team so talented only a year ago? I pinpointed this year's problem to a lack of resilience. There was a thread around Nov/Dec that I started with my anger that this team had then currently lacked what it took to come back down from games - to fight for one another. Around December, I started noticing that they began incorporating this character trait on a more frequent basis and to go along with this, my excitement and belief that had been laying dormant for several months began to return.

Since about January, I've refused to believe that this team wasn't capable of making a dent in this year's playoffs. Mocked and even ridiculed by many on this board for being so "naive" and even purportedly "unable to understand hockey" for my estimations and predictions, my faith in the team only grew. Teams of destiny usually defy the current of the stream and if this year's Rangers squad was a team of destiny, they would shock everyone.

The playoffs came and for every series I began taking a few hours out of a day to research as much as I could about our opposing teams. I'd write a comprehensive review that for every series showed us as favorites, although I was careful not to include my final prediction in any of those - by nature, I am incredibly superstitious. I had the Rangers in 5, Rangers in 7, and Rangers in 6 for all 3 of those series' before they all began. Close enough.

And similarly to those past 3 series', I wrote a review comparing us to the LA Kings. And in it I believed that we would be the more dominant team in this series. Ultimately, I thought that we would win in 6 games. We're faster, fresher, and have the best goaltender in the world - is a barebones reflection of what I wrote about a week ago (although I had about 12-15 points that I highlighted on that characterized us as the unlikely favorites).

I was disappointed but not surprised by losing the first game. I was shocked at how we lost in game 2. And while my faith did not flicker it was hard not to throw a major pity party. I've never seen this team win it all, truth be told every team that I support (besides that BC Eagles team) has been snake bitten (Rangers, Jets, Mets, Knicks).

It occurred to me that this is part of the process. There are all types of fans that range in avidity. I consider myself a diehard (most avid) for the Rangers. And what type of fan would I be if I only supported the team when they were successful? That would make me a fair-weather fan, and I sure as hell did not begin supporting this team right during its inception of the dark ages ('98-'04) to consider myself a fair-weather fan. It also occurred to me that glory only tastes so sweet and is declared so triumphant because of the failures and disappointments encountered along the way. It wouldn't be as significant if there wasn't adversity that needed to be overcome.

I know it's a common point for many of us to address how the Rangers "never make anything easy"... but given the option, I doubt many, if any of us, would prefer the easy route in winning a championship. The hardships are what make anything special memorable... and we sure as hell have had one memorable season and post season this year.

I woke up this morning, more confident than ever that we would win tonight. We will win tonight. This is a team of destiny. And no amount of negativity or wound licking will dissuade me from this notion. We have been faster, fresher, more dominant in 7 of the 9 periods we have played in. And the unlucky bounces that have gone the Kings way are purely meant to test this team's will on their path to achieving something that for some of us, we have never seen - a cup victory.

And in the event that I am wrong, that we lose this game and ultimately this series, this team's core is still in its youth. This is an invaluable experience for everyone involved. And we have arguably a top 5 coach in the league that just came from a pressure cooker in Canada and led them to 5 very successful teams that ultimately choked because of one un-clutch goaltender. We will be back, we will be built slightly better (no dead-weight... i'm looking at you Brad Richards), and we will be a very dominant team in a conference that is primed to only get worse during our projected years to contend for the cup (next 2-5).

There are only positives to take away from this.

But, not to deviate from the task at hand tonight and for the next 1.5 weeks (hopefully)... this is our night, this is our year, and all of the adversity that we face will turn into pride in the coming days.

I refuse to believe that this team will lay down and die, it is not their M.O. I refuse to believe that the Kings will deviate from their lack of killer instinct to bury us. I refuse to believe that their legs aren't shot and they'll be getting slower and more tired with each coming game, this one included.

Great post man. Kudos! :handclap:

:rangers

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Thinking about what the series could be right now is making me sick to my stomach.

I almost cant wait until this is finished one way or another. These playoffs are grueling for a fan.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Nice to see you still believe this, despite the Kings being the stronger team as the games have gone along.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Lets go boys, time to put your balls on the table and play the hand that is dealt. No more whining over the officials, **** em, at this point they are just another obstacle for us to get past. You gotta search deep down in yourselves and pull out that Champion mentality, we're here for a reason and that reason is not to get beat by the ****ing LA Kings...

end lockerroom pump-up speech :laugh:

BarbaraAlphanse

Nice to see you still believe this, despite the Kings being the stronger team as the games have gone along.

I think that you are the last person to make some sort of negative response to my positivity, being that you were the most adamant poster throughout the season about how wrong my optimism would turn to be.

Continue living in your negativity bubble.

Also, I know that responding to your direct point will only induce some sort of snarky comment that will be centered around a topic we aren't even talking about, but the King's weren't more dominant in any period of play in game 2. They also haven't led a single second of either game - which tells me that either Henrik has single handedly kept the Rangers in it for 2 games and barely lost (which he didn't do last game) or that the Rangers were more dominant and more unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino