Post-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Champion Tom Wilson vs the New York Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Earlier in the year when we were losing games 5-4 a lot of people were happy with the no defence style. They have tightened up defensively and the offensive hasn't really been affected. This is the way I wanted our team to play. I dont understand what some had against playing defensively responsible. Its got them on a 6 game winning streak.

COUGH (Bullshit) COUGH

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I'm not really surprised. Orpik almost doesnt matter anymore. The only place he might help us is on the pk.
I think we are also better defensively when Kuzy and Ovi aren't in the ice at the same time. When everyone is healthy I'm hoping Backstrom stays on a line with Ovi and Wilson. I wouldnt even mind if Wilson stays on the first pp unit.
Whenever Orpik gets in the lineup I hope they scratch Djoos instead of Bowey.

Vrana Kuzy and Oshie could be fun

No point in breaking the 1st line now

I would rest Orpik as much to get his playing legs ready, he's just needed for postseason.

Reactions: maacoshark

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's some revisionist history there. No one was "happy" that we were struggling on defense, but many people expressed a lack of concern because it was early, in October and no time to panic yet. Some people prefer a 4-3 or 5-4 game in October/November vs a 2-1 game, but thats not the real issue. The issue is you suggesting the Caps defense was poor because of system changes by TR, and that people were happy with how they were playing defense, neither of which were true. The team defense is improved because A) the turnovers stopped happening so often, B) the forwards started playing 200 feet, and C) Holtby and Copley tightened up on the softies. We're all happy about those three things happening. Lets just enjoy the results.
There were some people that loved the run and gun style. They loved the goals. Even when we were losing those games. They defensive hockey was boring. They even thought we should stick to pushing offensively when protecting a lead late in games. We did that and it backfired on us.
Right now we are playing hockey the way it is meant to be played.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Backstrom will get at least 1000+ points and I think he gets a hall of fame nod

There will be some who write off his achievement and attribute the points, at least, to having Ovie to feed. Not saying they'd be right - plus his game has so many other positives that aren't due to Ovie.

That's some revisionist history there. No one was "happy" that we were struggling on defense, but many people expressed a lack of concern because it was early, in October and no time to panic yet. Some people prefer a 4-3 or 5-4 game in October/November vs a 2-1 game, but thats not the real issue. The issue is you suggesting the Caps defense was poor because of system changes by TR, and that people were happy with how they were playing defense, neither of which were true. The team defense is improved because A) the turnovers stopped happening so often, B) the forwards started playing 200 feet, and C) Holtby and Copley tightened up on the softies. We're all happy about those three things happening. Lets just enjoy the results.

I'd add D) (related to A) the younger guys - particularly Bowey, but also Djoos, and Siegs when he's in - are playing with more poise. They (almost) look like they belong.

Reactions: kicksavedave

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Can’t believe they won again with Eller and Nisky getting sweaters. Looks like Kuz is overrated we should trade him while his stock is still up.

We can lend out Kuz for the regular season (until the deadline). Some team scores a bunch of PP goals and makes playoffs, Caps get a 2nd round pick. Easy.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
No? You want to trade our best player for a 2nd lol

Lend, my eager friend, lend. Team X gives Caps a 2nd to use Kuz in the regular season, then gives him back at the deadline for a pickle.

I'm talking about plotting and maybe even scheming here.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Can people stop overtaking Ovi in goals scored? You don't check stats for one day and BAM! Five new players have moved into goal scoring lead.

Have they no respect for the elderly?

Reactions: Sam Spade

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
COUGH (Bull****) COUGH
I see you have a selective memory. Several people argued with me when I suggested that I preferred lower scoring games. How many times did I have to ask members here what their problem with defensive hockey was? It was a lot. Most fans here care about offense. I'm the opposite. I believe in playing a defensively responsible game. With the skill on our team the offence will take care if itself. We dont need to run and gun.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Can people stop overtaking Ovi in goals scored? You don't check stats for one day and BAM! Five new players have moved into goal scoring lead.

Have they no respect for the elderly?
The thing about Ovi is that he is scoring on a consistent basis. Always has. Look at Laine this season. Had a slow start but is putting them in the net in bunches now. He will slow down again.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Bowey was our best dman tonight. His game has progressed nicely.

I am surprised so many were down on him this summer.... he's still just a kid at 23. On a cup winning team, there just aren't many development slots available. The key to his little breakout may have been getting away from Barry. Or, Orpik. Not all D pairs are matches made in heaven.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I am surprised so many were down on him this summer.... he's still just a kid at 23. On a cup winning team, there just aren't many development slots available. The key to his little breakout may have been getting away from Barry. Or, Orpik. Not all D pairs are matches made in heaven.
Bowey was also returning from major injury

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I see you have a selective memory. Several people argued with me when I suggested that I preferred lower scoring games. How many times did I have to ask members here what their problem with defensive hockey was? It was a lot. Most fans here care about offense. I'm the opposite. I believe in playing a defensively responsible game. With the skill on our team the offence will take care if itself. We dont need to run and gun.

Sorry sharkbait, nobody was happy with no defense, or rather, poor defensive performances.

Most just weren't sweating it, 20 mins into the season.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
What a difference a summer makes, or maybe a coaching change. Wilson and Bowey are massively improved.

Is Ovie just going to be this good forever? Is that the plan? I know he declined in the late Boudreau/Hunter/early Oates era, but he has plateaued so beautifully for the last several years, and he still doesn't show signs of slowing. It's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad