Prospect Info: Stanislav Galiev

HockeyJunkie101

Apr 7, 2012
I think he will be a second liner in a couple of years

Also w/ regard to him being a third rounder, IIRC analysts had him all over the board, I remember seeing as high as top-15, as well as some slotting him in the third-fourth rounds

The Russian Factor always kicks in, until the KHL and NHL have an agreement. I thought early 2nd round for Galiev

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Top 6 W. I've been impressed with his two-way game and compared to other Russian prospects, he doesn't have much of a "Russian factor".

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Named CHL player of the week.

I like his active stick and willingness to mix it up a bit and go to traffic areas. He's answered the draft-year question about his ability to finish, at least at the junior level. He's still pretty raw away from the puck but he's not a floater. If he bulks up a bit this summer he could make a strong case for a roster spot depending on the roster/coach/system.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
You guys need to look at the Caps top 6 if you don't think he is top 6.

Ovi=Nicky>>>>Semin>MoJo=Galiev>>>>>>>>>>>>>Laich

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Has definite top 6 potential. He's got a good motor though, so a bottom six energy role is not out of the question (especially early in his career). Needs to bulk up a bit more, but he's got good hockey sense and is willing to go to the hard areas of the ice (though we'll see what happens when he's playing against pros).

I've been really sold on this kid for a long time, way more than I am about Eakin. Galiev's the type of player you always notice on the ice.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The only time I have seen him actually play is in the Memorial Cup last season and I wasn't all that impressed.

That being said his playoffs numbers this season are pretty incredible but that team is completely stacked so...

I loved his story when the Caps drafted him though and really liked the pick.

I think if he is going to be an NHL player he has to be in the top 6 though.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
He should be friends with Ovi, btw. They're both Muscovites and Dynamo alumni. And yeah, they probably ARE friends
z_04849261.jpg

Pic courtesy of Stan's VKontakte social account.

HockeyJunkie101

Apr 7, 2012
Take about a inch off, 5 pounds, That's about it. Your top 6 could be:

Ovie-Backstrom-Kuznetsov
Johanson-Laich-Galiev

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
He reminds me a lot of Semin, he has great stickhandling and a nice shot.

He has some nice skills but he is nowhere near as skilled as Semin. If I was going to compare his best case skill set translation to a recent Cap it would be Fleischmann, which is nothing to sneeze at...

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
He was a beast in major juniour, but now Is playing in the echl.
What happend? And will he ever get a shot with the big club?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Like many CHL players, he couldn't adjust to the more physically demanding AHL. Next year is a big year, if he doesn't turn it around and become a good player in the AHL, I doubt he'll ever play an NHL game.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Like many CHL players, he couldn't adjust to the more physically demanding AHL. Next year is a big year, if he doesn't turn it around and become a good player in the AHL, I doubt he'll ever play an NHL game.

I Watched him play last season in Reading he has a hell of a hard shot he picked up on the physical aspect towards the end of the season . I really hope he gets the call to the ahl this year he deserves it

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There's definitely a spot open for him to win in Hershey's top six (maybe even on the top line) this year. It's up to him to see if he can translate his successful camps into successful seasons in Hershey, and perhaps Washington down the road. He didn't look "bad" in Hershey (especially after his first demotion), he just failed to produce and that's what he's counted on to do. He's not a very useful player in the bottom six.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Stan Galiev

What a talented young man ! The future of this team with Burakovsky and Kuznetsov.
Congrats on your first game in the NHL :handclap:

I thought I'd start this thread since there are no threads dedicated to him.

What are your hopes for him ?

I'm thinking he will replace Brouwer and/or Ward in the near future.

donosaur

Nov 28, 2011
Kid looked good out there tonight--better than I expected. He was a fast and smooth skater, forechecked pretty hard, and was decent defensively. Too bad he couldn't get a point, but was glad to see Trotz put him out in the last 20 seconds when we had the PP.

Green was chomping at the bits to pick up that puck, wonder if he gave it to Gally.

The future looks packed with skill. I just hope Bury, Kuzy, and Gally all put on some muscle in the off season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kid looked good out there tonight--better than I expected. He was a fast and smooth skater, forechecked pretty hard, and was decent defensively. Too bad he couldn't get a point, but was glad to see Trotz put him out in the last 20 seconds when we had the PP.

Green was chomping at the bits to pick up that puck, wonder if he gave it to Gally.

The future looks packed with skill. I just hope Bury, Kuzy, and Gally all put on some muscle in the off season.

Most 18-20 year old young man are slimmer than their older men, myself included. I'm as tall as my father, but he's got like 30 lbs of muscle on me. They're still growing into their adult bodies.

noptov

Jan 27, 2009
Mclean, VA
For a guy I had written off after last season, I'm happy to eat crow. Stanlie looked excellent in his first NHL game.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
What a talented young man ! The future of this team with Burakovsky and Kuznetsov.
Congrats on your first game in the NHL :handclap:

I thought I'd start this thread since there are no threads dedicated to him.

What are your hopes for him ?

I'm thinking he will replace Brouwer and/or Ward in the near future.

To me he is an unknown quantity, as in how his skills will transfer to NHL.

But in 1st game he made some moves, and didnt lose pucks like tweeners do. And his overall 200ft game looked pretty good at first impression. So if he can produce points, don't see why he can't make it. Although whether he can push somebody from top-6 on the Caps is another story.

Although ideally, I see him as a replacement for Wilson as the 4th line tough guy :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad