Prospect Info: Stanislav Galiev

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Stan went 1 on 5 vs the Bruins and got a nice shot on goal. They showed the replay of it with 10 minutes left in the 3rd. I can't remember the last time I even saw a prospect pull a stunt like that. The play there is to dump it in but he abused them all.

LOL at being the only one out of the tunnel to start the game.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Stan went 1 on 5 vs the Bruins and got a nice shot on goal. They showed the replay of it with 10 minutes left in the 3rd. I can't remember the last time I even saw a prospect pull a stunt like that. The play there is to dump it in but he abused them all.

LOL at being the only one out of the tunnel to start the game.
I was chuckling at that too. Glad to see the boys having fun still in Game 81.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Call him "Stash". When Pierre talked to the kid on BOS that played juniors with Galiev thats what he called Galiev. Nice hockey nickname.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kid looked good. Looked like he was having fun. Doesn't look like he fits the heavy game that Trotz wants, but has the makings of a 2RW in a few years.

I was pleasantly surprised how often he sought out contact. So, I am not sure he doesn't fit. I just wonder where he fits. He's a top 6 player. If you figure 8 and 19 and 92 and 65 are locks before he gets in. The Caps get oftely young up front if you squeeze Wilson into Brouwer's spot and Galiev into Johansson's.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I thought it took a couple shifts for him to settle in. His first few touches resulted in turnovers and the Bruins were all over him. Later in the game he made a good adjustment and played well.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I was pleasantly surprised how often he sought out contact. So, I am not sure he doesn't fit. I just wonder where he fits. He's a top 6 player. If you figure 8 and 19 and 92 and 65 are locks before he gets in. The Caps get oftely young up front if you squeeze Wilson into Brouwer's spot and Galiev into Johansson's.

Brouwer should be a 3rd liner. He is not a top 6 winger. I'd like to see these lines in camp next year, if MJ90 is still around:

8-92-65
90-19-49/43
xx-16-20
25-46-43/xx

What is Galievs contract situation?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone else ever see a rookie - let alone a kid in his first game, break in 1 and 5 and get a quality scoring chance?

Sure the adrenaline was running high, but it runs high on all new players.

And the leagues best don't pull stunts like that very often.

Anyone else see that play? Obviously I was impressed.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Russian line and the Swedish line next year.

8-92-49
90-19-65

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Brouwer should be a 3rd liner. He is not a top 6 winger. I'd like to see these lines in camp next year, if MJ90 is still around:

8-92-65
90-19-49/43
xx-16-20
25-46-43/xx

Brouwer is still the Caps 2nd leading goal scorer. I suppose you can say that's by default and he doesn't deserve his ice time, but I think you are kidding yourself if you think Trotz is going to choose to go light with 90-92-65-49 in the top 6. you can almost count on 20 and 43 in that role for the near term. which brings us back to where 49 fits.

its a good problem to have.

happycap

Apr 14, 2009
He got bumped off the puck his first couple of shifts. He looked more confident as the game progressed. He will have to work hard to earn a position next year but I think he knows that.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Very curious to see what Galiev's future is on a Trotz team. He's not small, he's just a little slight as a 20 year old. He has the size to be a winger in the NHL.

I personally believe there will be a lot of turnover up front in the offseason and hopefully that opens things up to some healthy competition for Burakovsky, Galiev and Vrana at camp. He looked about as good as anyone could have hoped for against a fairly physical, defensively able Bruins team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Very curious to see what Galiev's future is on a Trotz team. He's not small, he's just a little slight as a 20 year old. He has the size to be a winger in the NHL.

I personally believe there will be a lot of turnover up front in the offseason and hopefully that opens things up to some healthy competition for Burakovsky, Galiev and Vrana at camp. He looked about as good as anyone could have hoped for against a fairly physical, defensively able Bruins team.

I am curious who you visualize as the turnover and how the young forwards fit into that?

I can easily see some of Ward, Fehr, Beagle exiting. but I am not sure how these skill forwards fit into their roles. I also find it hard to imagine, Kuzy, Wilson, Bura all in the top 6 at the same time much less adding another one.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I am curious who you visualize as the turnover and how the young forwards fit into that?

I can easily see some of Ward, Fehr, Beagle exiting. but I am not sure how these skill forwards fit into their roles. I also find it hard to imagine, Kuzy, Wilson, Bura all in the top 6 at the same time much less adding another one.

I never said anything about the top 6. Which is why I'm curious about how Galiev potentially fits on a Trotz team -at least at the start of his career.

Turnover isn't really relevant to this thread, but I can see several of Laich, Ward, Beagle, Johansson, Fehr and Brouwer gone. There are cap realities and I sincerely hope that McLellan is looking for Johansson and Brouwer to show a pulse in a game that matters.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I can see Trotz putting Galiev in a Bura like program of 4th line, 1st line and AHL work.

I think getting rid of 90 and 20 is unlikely

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As for Galiev, been rooting for him forever it seems like. Looked like a legit NHL'er tonight. Well done kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

He turned 23 this year. He was drafted in the Kuznetsov draft.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He'll be a RFA this summer and will require waivers next fall.

At the very least he's likely passed Chris Brown on the organizational depth chart and if the decision comes down to the two it would be Galiev that's kept and developed at the NHL level. Or they could trade Galiev for a pick at the draft if they're bearish on the fit and want to replenish a bit of the assets given up at the deadline.

He fell down a lot. He has good hand-eye and an active stick so that aids out his defensive game a fair bit. I don't think he'll ever been all that physical or strong and he won't see the PP time at the NHL level for a while. To me he's more of a trade piece but it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot in the mix next fall.

evilash616

Nov 5, 2014
We will see something like this in the next couple years

8-19/92-49/43
65-92/19-43/49/Vrana

some sort of combanations of those. Personally, I would like to see,

8-19-49
65-92-43

I have always liked Galiev. Hope he keeps up what he did last night. If he does, he'll be around for a while.

evilash616

Nov 5, 2014
By the way, Galiev does the exact same thing on the PP that Ovie does. He is very successful at it in the AHL seeing he leads the league in PP goals. No reason to see why that wouldn't transfer over to the NHL. That would give our second PP unit a great boost.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
By the way, Galiev does the exact same thing on the PP that Ovie does. He is very successful at it in the AHL seeing he leads the league in PP goals. No reason to see why that wouldn't transfer over to the NHL. That would give our second PP unit a great boost.

the reason is ovechkin. the caps don't use a 2nd unit really and when they do 8 stays out. playing Ov's spot on the power play is a good way to not get any pp time.

right now the caps have green in ov's spot on the 2nd unit and he does not play.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
In case it wasn't clear from the title, this thread is about Stanislav Galiev. It's not about Brouwer, Johansson, Wilson, Kuznetsov, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad