NHL Standings Watch - 2023-2024 Season - Updated daily for your convenience

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
But is it really a catastrophe, only one team wins the Stanley Cup , so much has to break right . Sure the Bruins had an uprecedented regular season but it was no guarantee just like this season. There are some teams that are clear favorites but any team in the playoffs can win the cup.
Hmmm, maybe not the Islanders.

But yes, it can all flip on one play as we know (Marchand game 5).

Wirelessbits

Dec 11, 2021
But is it really a catastrophe, only one team wins the Stanley Cup , so much has to break right . Sure the Bruins had an uprecedented regular season but it was no guarantee just like this season. There are some teams that are clear favorites but any team in the playoffs can win the cup.
Yes, yes it is.

At the end of last season the Bruins were heavy favorites to win the cup. Certainly they had to get to the cup and a 7 game loss would be heartbreaking, but 'acceptable'. Maybe even a 7 game loss in the ECF could be sorta acceptable but still woefully painful.

Many thought that after breaking the NHL regular season record, anything short of a strong postseason would not only put an asterisk on that regular season record, it would be what people would talk about. It would mean that people would be talking about the disastrous postseason, not the awesome regular season, because that would only make the pain worse.

And here we are, after a horrific and catastrophic choke in the first round, talking about all the potential causes of why that happened. Just like a typical catastrophe.

So yes, it was a catastrophe. Maybe not for you and a few others, but mostly that season will be remembered by that horrific postseason, not the NHL record regular season.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Yes, yes it is.

At the end of last season the Bruins were heavy favorites to win the cup. Certainly they had to get to the cup and a 7 game loss would be heartbreaking, but 'acceptable'. Maybe even a 7 game loss in the ECF could be sorta acceptable but still woefully painful.

Many thought that after breaking the NHL regular season record, anything short of a strong postseason would not only put an asterisk on that regular season record, it would be what people would talk about. It would mean that people would be talking about the disastrous postseason, not the awesome regular season, because that would only make the pain worse.

And here we are, after a horrific and catastrophic choke in the first round, talking about all the potential causes of why that happened. Just like a typical catastrophe.

So yes, it was a catastrophe. Maybe not for you and a few others, but mostly that season will be remembered by that horrific postseason, not the NHL record regular season.
How many years have you been watching the Bruins?

• Haha
Reactions: ProdigalFan

Wirelessbits

Dec 11, 2021
How many years have you been watching the Bruins?
Indeed, context matters. The quick answer you are looking for is that no, I am not a 30 or 40 year fan. Sure I knew the name Bobby Orr growing up but not until we moved up into this area in 2007 did we jump on the Bruins bandwagon. But man, watching the Bruins is our family together time! Even with our daughter's away at UConn or Houston, we still 'chat' during the game.

Last year's regular season was a wonderful ride...until the train crashed much too early...and this year has been a wonderful surprise and let's hope we get a couple of rounds of postseason.

I just think it sucks soooo much that last year will be remembered first for that horrible ending and the wonderful regular season will be a distant second.

nickyb

May 5, 2004
We should *hopefully* get some decent clarity in regard to the standings / playoff picture after tonight's slate of games and then potentially our matchup will be etched in stone after Saturday's games.......really hoping this doesn't drag on until next Wednesday.......and usually they will leak the Game 1 start date prior to the official schedules coming out. :crossfing

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
We should *hopefully* get some decent clarity in regard to the standings / playoff picture after tonight's slate of games and then potentially our matchup will be etched in stone after Saturday's games.......really hoping this doesn't drag on until next Wednesday.......and usually they will leak the Game 1 start date prior to the official schedules coming out. :crossfing
My educated guess: Round 1 will start on Saturday 4/20, even not knowing for sure who we will play, my guess is all the East matchups start that day and the West on Sunday 4/21. The NHL long ago set the first possible postseason date as 4/20, then the complications begin with other events scheduled at the various venues.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
My educated guess: Round 1 will start on Saturday 4/20, even not knowing for sure who we will play, my guess is all the East matchups start that day and the West on Sunday 4/21. The NHL long ago set the first possible postseason date as 4/20, then the complications begin with other events scheduled at the various venues.
Well thank goodness for that. That'll help the ol' anxiety of the first playoff game...:D

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They never do all East or West on the same day. It will most likely be 2 and 2

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
FLA beating Columbus 3-0 in the third. Let’s just win Saturday and get past this last minute chase for the division and hopefully this doesn’t go down to the last game 😳

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
IMG_9655.jpeg
IMG_9656.jpeg

nickyb

May 5, 2004
At least we basically clinched home ice in the first round last night after the Leafs loss.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
The finish to that Pitt/DET game last night was electric. Big playoff implications too

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
So Bruins win it and rangers split their final two and we take the top seed and get a tomato can instead of Tampa. I'd say it's with going all out for
I don't think any of it is worth going all out for. Not home ice, not division titles, not a particular opponent.

Maybe they have a few things they want to work on: PP, PK, breakouts, line combos, getting certain players some ice (Maroon), etc. Sure, work on them but the final scores do not matter. History shows that chasing something like home ice is wasted effort. How many series have they lost at home? Seems like a lot.

At this point, I believe nothing but health and resting certain players is important.

Of course, this could explain why I work at an engineering job that mostly entails perusing hockey forums, as opposed to actually working for a professional hockey team!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad