Stand up goalie

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As a Ranger fan I am scarred from Martin Biron's gaping 5-hole the size of the Milky Way when trying to play a stand up style on breakaways and what not. No thank you.

Ban the rotating pads and things get at least a little bit more interesting.

So you want to roll-back goalie equipment technology 25 or so years? And skaters get to keep their efficient featherweight composite sticks...

The resident goaltenders here just cringed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lochaber

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Most certainly for a fact yes it will happen at some point.

Hockey, and life, are cyclical. At some point this will happen. The naivety in this thread that it will never happen is not surprising though.

Thinking outside the box is a reality that always, always, comes around at some point.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The vast majority of the great hof goalies of the past, even recent past would not even make an ahl team these days due to goalie bias.

Dominek Hasek? Ha! 6'1" 165 pounder, would not even be an nhl prospect unless he went to the right team and even then they would try and beat every instinct out of him to be another of the crap cookie cutter goalies we have these days.

Go down on your knees as soon as the other team crosses the blue line, stay down and your typical attempt at a ave is to shrug your shoulders at a shot.

Goaltending these days is just awful. They have all become lacrosse goalies, get as big as you can and hope it hits you.

Is it more efficient? Probably but now instead of letting a cheesy puck in on the ice they let cheesy goals in over their shoulders.

There, finished my old man 'get off my lawn' rant and I feel better for it.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
It doesn't take guts to be a Stand Up Goalie, we've been there and done that. I want to see someone who has kahunas big enough to be a Lie Down Goalie.

20130914__20130915_CC3_SP15HKNVARLYp1.jpg

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
There are those, but none of them play in the level required in NHL.

I think you have an interesting question in general, how will goaltending style evolve beyond butterfly style.

ps.

Dominic Hasek was perhaps the latest one to play with unorthodox style. Hopefully there will be another like him soon.
tim thomas says hi.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No. The main reason why goalie used to use a stand up style was to protect their head because the masks absorbed impact and didn’t really protect much (or the didn’t wear one going back to the old old days).

Butterfly/hybrid styles protect more of the net, and modern masks are made to deflect away a shots energy.

Maybe there's some truth to that, but it didn't look to me that one of the last stand up goalies in Kirk mclean had a less safe mask than Patrick roy in his day, for example.

Cloutier and Osgood were not stand up goalies, and they weren't playing with the safest masks.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Maybe there's some truth to that, but it didn't look to me that one of the last stand up goalies in Kirk mclean had a less safe mask than Patrick roy in his day, for example.

Cloutier and Osgood were not stand up goalies, and they weren't playing with the safest masks.

Cloutier and Osgood especially were early in their careers.

Obviously the butterfly itself predates the modern mask (see Roy himself who I believe started with the birdcage), but it took prominence when goaltenders who came up and developed with a modern mask became the majority of goalies in the mid-90’s. Guys like Kirk MacLean and Mike Richter who were more stand ups with modern mask in the NHL developed with the bird cage. Tactical changes often trail behind equipment changes.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Most certainly for a fact yes it will happen at some point.

Hockey, and life, are cyclical. At some point this will happen. The naivety in this thread that it will never happen is not surprising though.

Thinking outside the box is a reality that always, always, comes around at some point.
Fashion is cyclical. Technology is linear, if not exponential.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
This 100%.

You don't even have to turn your legs, you push down and the pads rotate with a second level a padding above the knees.

Kinda ridiculous.
I admire past goalies - rwal skill.
Why should the goaltending be automised?
Ban it! Its not the goalies movement, its interpretended movement.

Reactions: Richard

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
Honestly, no. It's an ineffective style of play. Yeah, guys in the reverse VH give up some funky goals from odd angles from time to time, but go back and take a look at an 80's / early 90's highlight packages and check out some of the goals that stand up goalies were allowing. Not good.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
It's unlikely. The last true stand up goalie in recent memory was probably Brodeur, who was an extreme reflex guy. Nabokov and Turco also played a hybrid style that we don't really see anymore.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
If I could get a dime everytime a goalie heard a shot, drops on his knees, only to be beaten in the top corners. Sure, the numbers for low shots are higher, but still.

Quick drops to this knees before the shot is even taken.

He gives away the top shelf on pretty much every shot he sees.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I admire past goalies - rwal skill.
Why should the goaltending be automised?
Ban it! Its not the goalies movement, its interpretended movement.

If we're being hyperbolic, you can make the same arguments for skaters and shooters today. You basically just lean on these modern composite sticks and they whip the puck like a slingshot with elevation and velocity for you.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Check out the sv% of goalies from the stand up era vs sv% in butterfly era.

There's a reason standup is outdated.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Bringing back Standup Goalies = McDavid scoring 200+ points next season and Auston Matthews scoring 70+ goals.

Play by play guy: McDavid already has 7 points tonight and so here he is showing mercy on the Flyers and just casually ices the puck towards Carter Hart and IT SCORES ! McDavids 8th point of the night.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The only way Standup goalies come back is if a team really desperate to tank for the Bedard and Wright drafts signs a Standup goalie that no one has heard of.
I could see Buffalo doing that and then the NHL changes the lottery rules again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad