Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
http://www.nhlcbanews.com/generated/rtTM51u5v9.html

Some interesting insights:

"It is ironic that the certainty of a new economic system now gives the union an opportunity to achieve major gains. The union could, and should, turn its attention from the losing battle on economics and focus on the dozens of other issues that affect players every day, like game rules, rink conditions, traveling and scheduling, not to mention the structural issues like contract guarantees and free agency."

Basically he is saying if the players give in to a cap the owners will likely give in to a number of other concessions. To think outloud - lower UFA, smaller schedule, more off time, shorter road trips, etc, etc, etc.

Sounds fair - doesn't it?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
nikeisevil said:

"It is ironic that the certainty of a new economic system now gives the union an opportunity to achieve major gains. The union could, and should, turn its attention from the losing battle on economics and focus on the dozens of other issues that affect players every day, like game rules, rink conditions, traveling and scheduling, not to mention the structural issues like contract guarantees and free agency."

Basically he is saying if the players give in to a cap the owners will likely give in to a number of other concessions. To think outloud - lower UFA, smaller schedule, more off time, shorter road trips, etc, etc, etc.

why would the owners shorten the regular season? I just think they should get rid of the pre-season games altogether move the regular season starting to sometime in September, because the players practically workout all year anyway...just get rid of the meaningless games...make training camp the pre-season...play home and home games with your maybe/not sure/undecided players against division rivals 8 games in 15 days to get your roster completed...after that a week for practice/camp/scheming for your season ... but I agree with everything else...more division games = fewer road trips imho

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
Seven_Nation_Army said:
why would the owners shorten the regular season? I just think they should get rid of the pre-season games altogether move the regular season starting to sometime in September, because the players practically workout all year anyway...just get rid of the meaningless games...make training camp the pre-season...play home and home games with your maybe/not sure/undecided players against division rivals 8 games in 15 days to get your roster completed...after that a week for practice/camp/scheming for your season ... but I agree with everything else...more division games = fewer road trips imho

You don't think the evaluation of your prospects in situations as close to actual NHL games as possible provides any value to the org.?

Not critisizing the thought, I am just asking.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
copperandblue said:
You don't think the evaluation of your prospects in situations as close to actual NHL games as possible provides any value to the org.?

Not critisizing the thought, I am just asking.

the interdivisional "preseason" games would be prospects as well...sorry for not explaining further...that game would be played before the big boys played.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
nikeisevil said:

Im sure those are all bargaining items that the players would like to bargain over. Are any of them on the table? Maybe they could come up with enough of them to let players decide its worth letting the owners decide what they are going to count as revenues, but I doubt it.

This guy cant be working for the NHL anymore, or surely he would have been fined heavily for these statements. I like how he tries to suggest players need to give in to the darkside. Resistance is futile. Accept the inevitability.

Players are accepting the inevitability it seems to me. The salary market will and is correcting downwards, and they offered ways to move it down even further. Why not negotiate how much further you want to take it down using that system instead of saying its not enough and we need something radically different that we know will cause a long fight?

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
thinkwild said:
The salary market will and is correcting downwards

Last I read, I think it was in the hockey news, this is not the case. It's going up still. Slower, but still up.

Why not negotiate how much further you want to take it down using that system instead of saying its not enough and we need something radically different that we know will cause a long fight?

You know why. You just dont want to have to admit it to yourself. :D
(just a tease.. not serious)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
One thing I think might appeal to players is an automatic no-trade clauses for players over 25 during the season. This gives them a chance to settle in to a spot for the year. They could of course waive the NT clause if they wished.

This would appeal to the family men in the nhlpa.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
me2 said:
One thing I think might appeal to players is an automatic no-trade clauses for players over 25 during the season. This gives them a chance to settle in to a spot for the year. They could of course waive the NT clause if they wished.

This would appeal to the family men in the nhlpa.

the issue then becomes, a player who is up for free agency can veto a trade on a team who will NOT resign him. Basically sticking them with any chance of getting value for him.

Ill add an option. what if Every player who signs an UFA contract with 5 years of NHL expierence has the right to Veto any trade. RFA's and Undrafted Free Agents shouldnt receive a NTC becuase either they arent worthy of it [UDFA] or their rights are already owned.

then, You can lower the UFA age to lets say 29. So that, at age 29, everybody who signs an UFA contract then, in a sense, has a NTC [not really a NTC, just a right to veto the trade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad